silvertriple

Kyosho Turbo Optima - Legendary series - 30619

Finally tested the updated part for the front led with the Turbo Optima sway bar and it works... (It's published it on Thingiverse, in case you search for it: Kyosho Optima Javelin Lights Holder by silvertriple - Thingiverse)

6wnw8Kh.jpg

And while I was ordering my prints for the Marui Hunter, I also included replacement parts for the sway bar attachement (the design was pretty straight forward, it went untested to final print). I tested the parts and they work perfectly (they are on the picture with the other part. I will publish those parts at some point, but I want to complete this with a few other parts. I will also work out a steering link part as I saw some mentioning it breaks sometime. MJF PA12 print should work perfectly for this purpose...

Edit : parts are here Kyosho Optiima parts by silvertriple - Thingiverse

Finally, the Turbo Optima made its first run today in the garden. I could have done it one the track, but where I was, there was a tremplin in the middle track with no possible shortcut, and I was not ready to get the first run of the Turbo Optima there due to this (I did not really succeed to pass it smoothly with both the Turbo Scorpion and the Javelin, and my friend broke a 1/8 car on it). So it was the garden at the end of the day.

hQpZGk1.jpg

hQpZGk1.jpg

L4xtFeH.jpg

SGpmnkd.jpg

At the end of the run it was a bit dirty :)

fOAJkPC.jpg

I did manage to check the temp of the motor in the middle of the run and it was quite cold. I believe that I can add some tooth on the motor pinion (not even one but more than this, and by the way the statement is similar for the Javelin - the recommended gearing for 10.5T or 13.5T motor I found on internet seems to be overly conservative).

Another statement : the sway bars present on the Turbo Optima are making a huge difference on curves on the garden slope. It is definitely easier to handle than the Javelin with no sway bar in those conditions...

• Like 1

I was wondering how the handling compares to that of the turbo scorpion and the Javelin, you answered that already before I could ask :lol: 

Just now, Tamiyastef said:

I was wondering how the handling compares to that of the turbo scorpion and the Javelin, you answered that already before I could ask :lol: 

The Turbo Scorpion is not in the same court as the Javelin and Turbo Optima, so it is not really comparable. With the Javelin and Turbo Optima, you feel the traction on the front train: that is not present on the Turbo Scorpion, which is normal, as 2WD. That being said, with the Turbo Scorpion you can't pull the trigger fully while in curve (unless there is some help from the Gyro inside the RX :-) ), but it really works well for what it is.

And for the Javelin and the Turbo Optima, the only real difference affecting the car behavior is the sway bars. (Shocks internal are strictly the same (only technical difference for the shocks are the color of the springs, and the way the preload is dealt with (collar, versus filleted collar), and the undertray doesn't impact the car behavior). And while I planed to mount a sway bar on the Javelin, I did not until now, because I wanted to understand what difference it makes... Now I know. The Turbo Optima turns flat and net. In the same conditions, with the Javelin, you have to decelerate before turning and re-accelerate. The Turbo Optima doesn't need as much brakes as the Javelin to do a proper turn. It is really much more efficient on this aspect. And I can tell it doesn't come from the wheels, as the Javelin was not really different with 2.2 inches wheels... Conclusion: the sway bar is making a huge difference, and if you have one thing to improve on the Javelin, it is to add a sway bar...

• Thanks 1