burakol

Vintage Wild One damper spring option

Im currently into cleaning and putting together my OG Wild One. Fortunately, the one I got is absolutely in pristine condition. It appears that this has seen very low miles, if it was not a shelfer… I initially planned on changing the stock dampers with an aftermarket but since it does not leave a trace of any oil leak, I thought why would I?

anyhow, i do find that the rear springs are too stiff… i already removed the internal damper sheet material (forgot the term), and used a light/soft oil, but the rears are still stiff. I think the culprit is the coil springs??? So I searched and found that there is a CRP Rear Adjustable Coil Sprin that is said to work on a Frog/Wild One… is this something that I can use, or am I better buying a different kind, and if so, any suggestions?

Thanks

I bought the CRP stock springs - not with adjusters though . They offer 2 types with different tensions ,  but both are softer than Tamiya OG and they do fit OG Frog which is the same damper but with machined fins to the main body casing and different lower mounts

40 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

I bought the CRP stock springs - not with adjusters though . They offer 2 types with different tensions ,  but both are softer than Tamiya OG and they do fit OG Frog which is the same damper but with machined fins to the main body casing and different lower mounts

Thanks. Do you see any benefit of it it terms of better performance/suspension handling, or better to buy a new damper all around? I'm pretty much satisfies with the fronts after using heavier oil... 

Since this is an original WO, I was thinking of keeping all components original, except for the ESC conversion... 

All of my W/O's have OG dampers and the CRP springs deffo. help and soft oil is key too . Other members have used after-market dampers , but I prefer vintage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@burakol I agree with the rear springs being over sprung, but I did the opposite on the fronts.. I dumped all the oil out and removed the red perch height adjuster so there is some extension beyond operating height to remove bounce.

Mine is a rere however, so might be a little different than yours.  I would like to go softer springs and damping on the rear, but it drives well with my current set up so I left mine the way it is.  

I do agree about keeping everything original on the vintage WO.. I'd probably leave it as is too.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

All of my W/O's have OG dampers and the CRP springs deffo. help and soft oil is key too . Other members have used after-market dampers , but I prefer vintage

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SOFT-SHOCK-SPRINGS-Tamiya-The-Frog-Subaru-Brat-Damper-RC-Team-CRP-9107-SS-/353653484572?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Sorry to link an external site, but is this the one you are using? O don't think I'd need the adjustable version, but I defiantly want to replacing the springs... 

@Willy iine the front on the OG is very soft... I think the rere dampers have an updated design so it might offer a better performance out of the box...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, burakol said:

Sorry to link an external site, but is this the one you are using? O don't think I'd need the adjustable version, but I defiantly want to replacing the springs... 

No . The ones I got are a similar design as the Tamiya ones with the preload and are more of a gray look as opposed to Tamiya black . Not sure if they still make them as a quick CRP store search didn't show them

• Like 1

Thank you. I might settle using the stock springs for now until I figure our what I want to do... For now, I need to get a replacement rear wheels as I shattered one yesterday on its initial run... 

Good thing I settled for the stock can and not anything hotter... this car zooms on a 2s lipo... 

Hi. I am just rebuilding an original Wild One myself.  I had same issue with rear springs being to stiff. I have replaced mine with a set of Grasshopper rear springs. Same length and diameter but a softer spring. Rear shocks now have a lovely smooth damping action . When you compress and release shock it releases nice and smooth rather than popping straight back with original springs. May be what you are looking for. Cheers Dave 

• Like 4

On 5/25/2022 at 7:49 PM, Hizzy said:

Hi. I am just rebuilding an original Wild One myself.  I had same issue with rear springs being to stiff. I have replaced mine with a set of Grasshopper rear springs. Same length and diameter but a softer spring. Rear shocks now have a lovely smooth damping action . When you compress and release shock it releases nice and smooth rather than popping straight back with original springs. May be what you are looking for. Cheers Dave 

I haven’t compared them, but memory tells me the GH springs would be longer? This could be a great result

Scrap the grasshopper spring idea. Far too weak . Not enough strength in spring to return shock , too soft . Back end just ended up sagging.  Trying some different internal spring shocks like you see on rock crawlers etc . Mucking about with different springs and oil combo's