DeadMeat666

Number of RC's you currently own!

How many RC's do you currently have?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've around 20....ish

Did have alot more, but it bugged me, that I didn't get to run them all, so sold alot of the ones it's tough/expensive to get parts for. 

8 minutes ago, acprc said:

My name is Adam and I have a problem

As TC member #4 and as a moderator of this forum, NOT having reached triple digits would have surprized me :D

8 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

As TC member #4 and as a moderator of this forum, NOT having reached triple digits would have surprized me :D

LOL,

The total quantity actually fluctuates within 10 or so at any given time. I generally only list kits I need for my collection on the site when completed. For example I have one of each of the Tamiya TGM-02 Terra Crusher variants listed on the site but 4 more that are not listed.

I started collecting in 97/98 with a Grasshopper and it was that search for parts that found Robys Old Tamiya board and eventually Netsmith (Chris). The rest is history.

I would imagine over 1000 RC have been through my hands since then. 

• Like 1

So I voted between 20 and 30, and then did an actual count...

Complete, ready to be run at a moment's notice, or maybe in need of some electronics: 19

Works-in-progress, projects I have all the pieces for and haven;t gotten to yet, and cars currently disassembled for maintenance/repair/mods: 13

Basket cases, parts cars, at least 50% there but nowhere near complete: 8

Total: 40. And that's probably it for a good long while. I have no current plans to sell or buy any vehicles, but I am looking at 3D printers...

• Like 3

Having about 8 + some left over bits, I've just discovered I'm way below the average on here and have not to worry too much about my sanity:P. Must point the wife to this thread...;)

Too many, but also not enough 

EDIT: after a check, it's 36:

• 9 built, finished and happy with
  • 8 that are Works in Progress; either still need finishing or are 2nd hand restoration / rebuild projects
  • 12 NIB that will get built
  • 5 NIB that I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to break the packaging, which is completely ridiculous I know but whatever. I've always been a fool for packaging and these particular kits look :wub:
  • 2 on order that will probably go the same way of these 5 ^^^^^

I also have six body shells without a home, two painted and four still new in packet. Three of them are Rally/WRC shells, so if Tamiya ever release a new rally chassis I'm doomed 

Having gone through that exercise, I now feel ill :blink: Thanks @DeadMeat666 :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just 3 for now, 2 in rtr condition, 1 in "unable to decide what im going to do" restoration project. Still waiting for thunder dragon, but  some vqs 2020, terra scorcher and mantaray 2018 showed up in local emarket. For 1 vqs, i could get both  terra and manta. Or wait for the new TD4 NotAvante. Lucky my wallet is empty for now or else........XD

Way too many.  Not quite sure what to do about it anymore.  Some of them I know will probably never be run so currently considering building for the experience and then selling.  May be the way to satisfy my desire to build but clear space at the same time?

I count a little over 100 cars in my rc10talk gallery which I know isn’t close to what I really have which is way too many. I need to start getting rid of the one that no longer interest me. 

8 minutes ago, Shodog said:

I count a little over 100 cars in my rc10talk gallery 

Thanks, I feel better now :)

6 hours ago, Alwb68 said:

I just did a count up and I have 30. If I hadn’t checked, I’d have told you I only had 20.

These guys just multiply !!!!

Don't feed 'em after midnight...

• Haha 1

4 tt02 body shells, one given free to me, 2 slash body shell. (1 shell each from tt02 and slash included in kit). The other 4 kits only have 1 shell: lunch box, Manta TD and super sabre. 6 total but a hornet looks tempting if I linger to long on the thought. Would need more storage solutions for a 7th kit as older hobby collection stands at 27 and taking up any potential RC storage space.

4 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Like many of us here, I really should stop spending my hard-earned cash on new projects and spend it on finishing what I've started, but starting a new project is so much easier than finishing an old one!

This is it really. It's always more tempting to buy something new rather than finish something old, even if the new thing becomes the old thing, when a new new thing turns up.

It's cool to have a few projects, but I find that having too much on a to do list is more stressful than relaxing.

2 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

This is it really. It's always more tempting to buy something new rather than finish something old, even if the new thing becomes the old thing, when a new new thing turns up.

It's cool to have a few projects, but I find that having too much on a to do list is more stressful than relaxing.

Totally agree, it's even worse when you look at your to do list and see way too many to build. A certain limit to a comfy backlog is fine but anything else makes it stressful and compels you to bring number to a comfy level. It's project FOMO to an extent. You are comforted you have something to work on when you bother to take the spare time for it but know that if all kits are built then you will get irked that you don't have anything to look forward to.

1 hour ago, Shodog said:

I count a little over 100 cars in my rc10talk gallery which I know isn’t close to what I really have which is way too many. I need to start getting rid of the one that no longer interest me. 

Your rc10talk gallery keeps me awake nights 

• Thanks 1

I wonder why there are less people between 20-30.  Is that the hump when people get tired of it and sell everything? 

If so, I'm glad to report that the last count couple of years ago was 36, so I'm probably over 40.  (Hey, I think I should have as many cars as my age! I have few more to buy then. My wife won't be happy with that reasoning. Women are so illogical when it comes to RC logic.)

• Haha 1

At four right now. A carpet 2wd racer, mini buggy basher, rally car, and mini scale crawler (rarely used.) 

Not really into the shelfer thing, but unwilling to hoon something I can’t get parts for. So, it’s got to be current, with good spares available.

My heart wants an Avante or an Optima, but my pragmatist wants cars I can fearlessly run.

Hence, my interest in the Super Avante.

Edit: added image. R-L: TT02 that everybody has, third hand Schumacher Cougar KC, LC Racing EMB-1, SCX-24 that everybody has.

759DF379-0445-419A-8F7B-CA3BDA5FB089.jpeg

I stopped counting. I moved them out the home to a storage unit which is over 1/2 full already and just keep buying them… definitely outta control…

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Juggular said:

I wonder why there are less people between 20-30.  Is that the hump when people get tired of it and sell everything? 

That's actually a really interesting question.  Well, interesting if you like statistics, anyway.

It could well be that, like you say, 20-30 is the number some people reach when they burn out and sell up.  I can remember at least two members in the last decade who joined with just one car, fell in love with the hobby, quickly bought a large number of cars, then suddenly disappeared.

Or, it could be that there are broadly two types of RCer - the ones who just buy a few, and the ones who buy lots, and there isn't much middle ground.

Or, perhaps it's a momentum thing: people may have <20 cars for a long time while their interest grows and their collection builds, then very suddenly the collection doubles into the 30+ category.  So, broadly, nobody stays in the 20-30 category for that long.  So at any one time, people are either ramping up to the first 20, or have raced across the 20-30 gap and are in the 30+ category.  I'd say this probably applies to me - it seems I had little disposable income for a long time, so maintaining a fleet of 20 cars was hard work.  Then suddenly my circumstances changed and I had a lot more spare, so I expanded quite rapidly, not just in the number of cars but also the quality.  With the extra disposable came an extra level of personal commitment - IMO 10-20 cars represents a manageable but reversible commitment, 20+ represents a long-term commitment, so having gone into the 20+ category there was no reason to slow down until space  and time* became an issue.

So far I think the sample set is too small to draw any conclusions, but probably the most interesting thing about this is it shows how dangerous it is when the media get hold of some raw numbers and put their own interpretation on it.  To add an alternative spin on the "lies, **** lies and statistics" point, one option is conspicuous by its absence: 0 cars.  I wonder how many members are still browsing or even actively posting on TC who no longer have any cars?  By the nature of the target audience, the stats are heavily skewed by a survivor bias.

*I'm not trying to say my collection is so big it has its own gravity well, but...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2