DeadMeat666

Number of RC's you currently own!

How many RC's do you currently have?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

That's actually a really interesting question.  Well, interesting if you like statistics, anyway.

It could well be that, like you say, 20-30 is the number some people reach when they burn out and sell up.  I can remember at least two members in the last decade who joined with just one car, fell in love with the hobby, quickly bought a large number of cars, then suddenly disappeared.

Or, it could be that there are broadly two types of RCer - the ones who just buy a few, and the ones who buy lots, and there isn't much middle ground.

Or, perhaps it's a momentum thing: people may have <20 cars for a long time while their interest grows and their collection builds, then very suddenly the collection doubles into the 30+ category.  So, broadly, nobody stays in the 20-30 category for that long.  So at any one time, people are either ramping up to the first 20, or have raced across the 20-30 gap and are in the 30+ category.  I'd say this probably applies to me - it seems I had little disposable income for a long time, so maintaining a fleet of 20 cars was hard work.  Then suddenly my circumstances changed and I had a lot more spare, so I expanded quite rapidly, not just in the number of cars but also the quality.  With the extra disposable came an extra level of personal commitment - IMO 10-20 cars represents a manageable but reversible commitment, 20+ represents a long-term commitment, so having gone into the 20+ category there was no reason to slow down until space  and time* became an issue.

So far I think the sample set is too small to draw any conclusions, but probably the most interesting thing about this is it shows how dangerous it is when the media get hold of some raw numbers and put their own interpretation on it.  To add an alternative spin on the "lies, **** lies and statistics" point, one option is conspicuous by its absence: 0 cars.  I wonder how many members are still browsing or even actively posting on TC who no longer have any cars?  By the nature of the target audience, the stats are heavily skewed by a survivor bias.

*I'm not trying to say my collection is so big it has its own gravity well, but...

I'll bite.

I challenge your theory of TC members who no longer have cars but still browse/post. If they're interested enough to be on here and even post, I'm willing to bet they have AT LEAST one car knocking about. Otherwise what's the logic? For how long would you be part of - and even post in - (for example) a forum about BMWs without having one? What would be the point? And a BMW is a much bigger commitment than an RC car or even 10 lol.

I'm willing to bet that nobody that sees my reply on here will have zero RC cars (or zero plans to get one); and I invite anyone to quote me and reply if you do indeed have no RC's to speak of; I love being proven wrong :) 

• Like 2

Just now, DeadMeat666 said:

I'm willing to bet that nobody that sees my reply on here will have zero RC cars (or zero plans to get one); and I invite anyone to quote me and reply if you do indeed have no RC's to speak of; I love being proven wrong :) 

I think you're probably right - which also proves my second point about the stats being affected by survivor bias (although, admittedly, for the purpose of the original question, we aren't actually interested in the number of people who don't have any cars).

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Juggular said:

I wonder why there are less people between 20-30.  Is that the hump when people get tired of it and sell everything? 

Well, I believe part of the response is that past 20, it becomes very high to hide, while when you are over 30 you won't bother anymore, so you may spend more time going to 20-30 than to get to 20, or from 30 to much much more...

And actually, in my case, I should not have made this count, somehow... Because now I know I'm at 20, and maybe 21 soon. And I know that if I look at my list there is a few more to come (must be). In my list there is :

- Kyosho Optima with brushed setup

- Kyosho Tomahawk

- Marui Samurai

- Marui Shogun

- some Front Drive buggy

What makes the count not growing much right now is that I would go for restoration rather than brand new. And the chance to find the dreamt car are not that high at an acceptable price...

Problem with restoration is that accumulating broken cars of a same model, you get very soon the possibility to build multiple (one of the reason my count bumped from 16 to 20 very quickly).

1 to 20 in less than a year....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

That's actually a really interesting question.  Well, interesting if you like statistics, anyway.

It could well be that, like you say, 20-30 is the number some people reach when they burn out and sell up.  I can remember at least two members in the last decade who joined with just one car, fell in love with the hobby, quickly bought a large number of cars, then suddenly disappeared.

Or, it could be that there are broadly two types of RCer - the ones who just buy a few, and the ones who buy lots, and there isn't much middle ground.

As Momma always said, ain't no distribution like a bimodal distribution...

In all seriousness, it *is* interesting. Are there two distinct population of RC car drivers? Those who drive what they have, and have between 6 and 20 because that covers all reasonable bases, and those who are collectors perhaps?

I've realised that I don't want to be a collector. I like building, driving and modifying. However, I've got nine cars after 18 months so who knows what'll happen. Problem will be for me when buying something becomes more of a pleasure than using it.

• Like 1

I’m up to about 50 nib vintage and about 15 vintage built. Hundreds of nib Tamiya vintage static kits too. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

It could well be that, like you say, 20-30 is the number some people reach when they burn out and sell up.

Much above 20, and I felt a bit overwhelmed (?).

Which to run? , but I want to run them all.

Storage became an issue, stuffing them in boxes, in the loft etc, may aswell sell those/set them free, bit like caging wild animals!! 

I'm happy at around 20, (although 2 landed in my lap at the weekend, but one will be sold on asap....), enough for each occasion. A paddle tyred beach basher, Nitro On Road, Race cars, couple of vintage runners ,couple of Re Release, and suppose the most important, ones for the kids to have fun with. 😁 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

As Momma always said, ain't no distribution like a bimodal distribution...

I dunno, if you said "bimodal distribution" to my momma she'd probably think you were talking about the places where people with manic depressive tendencies are likely to live

• Haha 1

I have 8 built, 2 are restored and 8 kits in the closet waiting to be built, with paint, bearing kits, and radios waiting. I do have about 4 on pre-order/back order; so I am solidly in that 11-20 range...for now.

Remember it's not about the size! It's what you do with it/them😶

1 hour ago, svenb said:

Remember it's not about the size! It's what you do with it/them😶

This is going to sound strange, but you've just given me an idea for an RC video :ph34r:

• Haha 1

One. If people on this thread really decide to reduce their collection, it will likely go up. :D

• Like 1

What if little green men really hate the number 25?  If you reach 25 cars, they'll abduct you.  They'll brainwash you go well beyond 30 cars. While you are strapped to their examination table being tickled to death with a feather, you won't be home to click on any TC survey.  

wQwxlIe.jpg

Maybe I shouldn't have had a beer tonight. I'm worn out from mowing the lawn yesterday.  I took the dog for a walk. And I found a Frog. Not a Tamiya frog, a nature-frog. And I thought, 'what if I took this little guy home?' I don't know why. What would I do with a frog? But that'd be like space alien abducting humans. (So, that's where my stupid idea came from; beer.)

pjtFJ9I.jpg

This was taken only about an hour ago.  He should be still jumping about... unless a fox got him.  I don't mean Tamiya Fox, a nature fox beyond my fence.  

oJfFkrC.jpg

Anyway, you'd think my wife would freak out if I brought a frog home. 

But she used catch those things for fun when she was a child.  She has reflexes of a cat.  She even caught Mr. Sparrow (not the pirate of the Caribbean, a nature-sparrow). This was in our living room, out of the air, with her bare hands. She caught him, but she didn't want to squish him. He escaped and flew around. So she caught him for the second time.  

QwNhOVj.jpg

Why was there a sparrow in the house? We were replacing the glass doors, and he flew right in. 

rSkOEDk.jpg

She let Mr. Sparrow out safely.  I didn't bring the frog home tonight. 

But it looks like I am bringing a Dynahead home instead.  It usually takes 2-3 bravery potions (beers) to bring an RC car home, but it took less today.  That raises the tally to 41? 42?  

eSJ3qwD.jpg

I wouldn't dare buying another RC car soon after MF01x and XV01.  But my wife is in good mood because I finished the floor, finally.  

8cs2jkM.jpg

ckRghjU.jpg

4 layers of water-based finish should be good enough for several years. But she wants it a little darker.  I might coat it once with oil-based finish after a week of drying time. "Is that enough to get me another RC car?" I asked.  Her answer was, "Never mind, I can do one coat."  At least I tried to squeeze another RC car out of her (odd how that works because I'm the one who's making money). 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mike in pa said:

I do have about 4 on pre-order/back order;

Ohhh I forgot about those ones!

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, Juggular said:

She even caught Mr. Sparrow (not the pirate of the Caribbean, a nature-sparrow).

That would have been Captain Sparrow anyway... :D

• Haha 2

Not all pictured but I have a couple :lol:

868C9146-EED1-403B-9CEE-0D5F7305E0A1.thumb.jpeg.29918046851a1705f2bf9a87e2663afe.jpeg

COVID caused me to buy a lot of them, I have a free track down the street and I would go there every morning with 3-5 cars and would usually run them till they all broke. I would have to order parts online and got tired of having to wait forever for them to arrive, so I just kept getting more cars so I always had something to run.

• Like 5

My wife’s vintage sewing machines are quickly outnumbering my RC cars. ( We just gained an industrial grade Singer from circa 1910 and a 1951 home model  on our current holiday ) 

But seriously , I have a little under 20 right now and most of not all have been funded by selling junk picked lawn mowers.

The non running “project” pieces I have at the moment are the FAV I scored at a flea market for $25 USD and a Semi Toy Grade almost hobby grade Marui motorcycle I also garbage picked

I have to say “most” of the boxes are checked for a collection that does a little of everything, 

except I don’t have a good “modern”  4wd basher.
or  a Clod

or a …

Technically I have no more RC cars than that family that used to be on reality TV has children. 
It seems all right when I put it in that perspective. 

Just under twenty (19)..... Phew not an addict yet!!!!

Ooops just read the title again I thought it said Tamiya RC's.(23) I also have 7 or 8 swaps bodies for different chassis

My names busdriver and I'm an addict,

Edited by Busdriver

Well stupid me took an hour drive to a hobby shop over in New Jersey and came home with two Tammy kits and other stuffs for them.

• Haha 1