Hudson

Shrink wrapped kits

Does anyone know of a particular online RC store that sells their re releases shrink wrapped,   I know it's a small detail but I do prefer them this way!!

I have delivery address in UK or France.

Many thanks if anyone can help

Tamico

if you like shrink wrap that much get a machine & you can wrap yourself, well not yourself but then again sure someone’s tried it :ph34r: 

• Haha 1

I would of thought any shrink wrap would be a "Tamiya" process? Any time after that seems pointless,anyone could tamper then shrink wrap. I think the shrink wrap is a tamper deterrent? They come so well boxed know for transport to shops I don't think shrink wrap is used for that. As said above if its just to keep clean for storage or display bung some kitchen film around it. 

10 minutes ago, Gazzalene said:

I would of thought any shrink wrap would be a "Tamiya" process?

As far as I know, Tamiya have never shrink-wrapped any of their kits. If you buy one that comes like that then someone else has done it somewhere down the distribution chain. So I can't see that it makes

any difference if you just do it yourself like J@mes says.

5 hours ago, Gazzalene said:

I would of thought any shrink wrap would be a "Tamiya" process? Any time after that seems pointless,anyone could tamper then shrink wrap. I think the shrink wrap is a tamper deterrent? They come so well boxed know for transport to shops I don't think shrink wrap is used for that. As said above if its just to keep clean for storage or display bung some kitchen film around it. 

Tamiya USA shrink wraps their kits after throwing in (usually) an ESC.  And then they slap an orange sticker on the shrink wrap stating the kit comes with an ESC.  I can tell because I just opened the shrink wrap on my Avante and the ESC was just kind of thrown right on top and then the box was shrink wrapped.  

I can confirm Tamico shrink wraps as I got a novafox from there.  I don't believe any of the Rcmart/RcJaz/Asiatees places shrink wrap.  Heck, Asiatees throws in some candy with your order.

• Like 1

I guess you could order from Tamiya America, their kits are shrink wrapped. Pretty expensive though just to have shrink wrap…

1 minute ago, barbon said:

I guess you could order from Tamiya America, their kits are shrink wrapped. Pretty expensive though just to have shrink wrap…

What I mean is they are the only distributor in the US and it seems all kits go there first, then they shrink wrap/throw in ESC and send off to Tower/Amain/LHS.  I'm in the states and I've bought kits from Amain, Tamico, Tower, 2 different LHS and a hobby shop in Ontario, CA and all kits were shrink wrapped.  In fact, of the 13 kits I've bought in the last 2 years, only two were NOT shrink wrapped, and they were both from Asiatees.   

I've bought around 20 kits from Tamico over the last 5 years, and only one of them, the most recent, was shrink-wrapped.

Surely one needs some sort of ‘proper set up’ to self shrink wrap?? Assuming we’re aiming for a decent result!

My understanding is that Tamiya don’t shrink wrap but some major distributors do, which is why I asked the question. I think it’s maybe more of a thing in the US.

Based on responses here Tamico may be my best bet, maybe they’ve just recently started shrink wrapping……

I had no idea that many kits outside of America were not shrink wrapped.  I can confirm that every Tamiya America kit I have purchased in recent memory has been wrapped.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 67CamaroSS said:

I had no idea that many kits outside of America were not shrink wrapped.  I can confirm that every Tamiya America kit I have purchased in recent memory has been wrapped.  

Same. All my USA-sourced kits have been shrink wrapped: TamiyaUSA, Tower Hobbies, LHS, etc.

• Like 1

I read somewhere that the American market is less trusting in that they expect products to be sealed to ensure that no one has tampered with them. I personally do prefer shrink wrap as well as it makes them feel more "new" IMO and since I live in Canada most of mine are when I buy them unless I order from overseas. Kits coming out of the factory are not shrink wrapped or sealed in any way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norco Kid said:

I read somewhere that the American market is less trusting in that they expect products to be sealed to ensure that no one has tampered with them. 

Having worked in bike shops for over two decades, can confirm. If something other than clothing is sold with just a hang tag or a label, customers want you to check for a wrapped one “from the back!” 
I opened a special order part from a high-end custom tandem builder for a customer, and they had simply packed it in re-used office doc shredding. He couldn’t believe what kind of “garage shop operation” they were. This company regularly produced tandems that cost in excess of TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS. 

But sure buddy, reusing something for packing material is a sign of poor quality.

In my experience Tamiya shrink-wraps at least some of their TRF boxes from the factory. All of my 501X's and 511's were either ex-Hong Kong or ex-Japan and they came shrink-wrapped. Probably because they have inserts (exserts?) that are not affixed to the outside of the boxes.

Not a single one of my "normal" Tamiya kits that I've sourced from all over the place, probably excluding North America, have been shrink-wrapped.

So are we concluding that in terms of European distributors, none of them routinely shrink wrap?

1 hour ago, Hudson said:

So are we concluding that in terms of European distributors, none of them routinely shrink wrap?

I would sincerely hope not, given that single-use plastics are being heavily discouraged, or in some cases even banned at the moment for seemingly valid environmental reasons.

Most kits are very likely going to be opened straight after purchase, and all the packaging discarded. There is no need to shrink-wrap kits for these customers.

Collectors are in a minority, but wrapping their kits make sense if they are going to be stored for a long time, to keep the boxes looking fresh.

It would seem that Tamico have the ability to wrap. So if you are happy to buy from them, why don't you send them a message asking if the kits you order can be wrapped?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fuijo said:

I would sincerely hope not, given that single-use plastics are being heavily discouraged, or in some cases even banned at the moment for seemingly valid environmental reasons.

Most kits are very likely going to be opened straight after purchase, and all the packaging discarded. There is no need to shrink-wrap kits for these customers.

Collectors are in a minority, but wrapping their kits make sense if they are going to be stored for a long time, to keep the boxes looking fresh.

It would seem that Tamico have the ability to wrap. So if you are happy to buy from them, why don't you send them a message asking if the kits you order can be wrapped?

Yes ok good idea. I mean, I’m still gonna buy the kits shrink wrapped or not…..

Is there a small implication here that I shouldn’t be happy buying from Tamico? That’s a genuine question, it’s only very recently that I’ve got the re release bug and I definitely haven’t settled on a preferred place of purchase, I’m in rural France so definitely no local hobby shop!

24 minutes ago, Hudson said:

Is there a small implication here that I shouldn’t be happy buying from Tamico?

Absolutely not. I think Tamico are ace. Never had an issue with them, and I've spent thousands there, although I'd prefer not to dwell on that too much.

• Haha 2

So I follow Tony's shop on FB and when he advertises new kits, he quotes prices with and without ESC. So does he remove the ESCs from kits that have them and keep them when people want to save a couple quid?  Is he removing shrink wrapping?  

5 hours ago, A-Baum said:

So I follow Tony's shop on FB and when he advertises new kits, he quotes prices with and without ESC. So does he remove the ESCs from kits that have them and keep them when people want to save a couple quid?  Is he removing shrink wrapping?  

No I don’t think so, he would receive his kits direct from Tamiya (not shrink wrapped) so presumably he can simply remove the lid and add or remove esc. As previously discussed, some distributors choose to/have means of shrink wrapping, others don’t, and wrapping seems to be much more of a ‘thing’ in the US.

I would definitely want my NIB to be shrink wrapped.   Not only for the "factory sealed" special feeling (even if it was wrapped by the distributor or TamiyaUSA), but to keep moisture / dryness out.  

The Willy'sWheeler I built this Spring still had the original shrink wrap and the tires and most of the parts were in very good condition.  

However, as a collector, I like to open my unassembled kits and bodies to take a peek inside from time to time.. those were purchased out of Japan so not shrink wrapped.  In a humid climate like Japan they should wrap it because all the vintage kits and bodies I get from Japan are at best moldy smelling, worst arrive with water stains and mold spores.. 

So I started buying vintage kits and bodies from desert towns in the USA or Europe as they have much better climate control in their homes and storage space vs Japan.   Boxes arrive in good condition good enough for display.  

Anyway.. I prefer wrapped.   

19 hours ago, Fuijo said:

It seems a couple of adhesive labels to seal the box should be enough. Would be for me. Maybe a higher “collector box “ price for shrink-wrap.

1 hour ago, BelknapCrater said:

It seems a couple of adhesive labels to seal the box should be enough. Would be for me. Maybe a higher “collector box “ price for shrink-wrap.

Personally I'd like to see kits wrapped only by request, rather than an extra charge. That way the majority of customers wouldn't bother which would help reduce plastic waste.

Those that do request it probably do so for a reason that's important to them.

10 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I would definitely want my NIB to be shrink wrapped.   Not only for the "factory sealed" special feeling (even if it was wrapped by the distributor or TamiyaUSA), but to keep moisture / dryness out.

Shrink wrap obviously not only seals air out, but also air in. If Tamiya USA were to wrap their kits in Nevada it would likely give better results than if they were wrapped in Florida. Tamiya don't do it because maybe sealing in

humidity would be a risk in Japan.

Having said that, I've started building an early vintage Sand Scorcher kit that had suffered flood damage. Whoever managed to dry it out without opening any of the plastic bags did an amazing job.

I had 3 lightly rusted washers that cleaned up easily, and a bit of surface corrosion on the front body post that cleaned off with a bit of metal polish on a cloth. Everything else was unaffected.

I don't know about the stickers yet because I haven't got that far. If they've lost their stickiness after 42 years I wouldn't be too surprised, but I wouldn't necessarily put it down to moisture either.

I don't really see a valid reason for routinely shrink-wrapping kits. I do see a valid reason for you personally preffering yours to be wrapped.

• Like 1

As someone who had purchased kits from a few different countries, in person in shop, not mail order, I can tell you this.

Kits from Tamiya are not wrapped. Nor do they come with ESC. That is why on the side of the box, ESC is usually a required equipment to complete the kit, which can throw some beginners off as the yellow sticker says ESC included.

Kits in HK are as they came from factory, not wrapped. This means the buyer can inspect the parts (particularly important for static kits) before buying. No ESC.

Kits in Singapore and Malaysia are wrapped and the shops are not happy for you to open it. The only way you can open it is to buy it first. Not sure about ESC as I only bought static models from these countries.

Kits in UK are not wrapped, usually and has the ESC thrown in.

Except, as I posted earlier, at least some TRF kits are wrapped at the factory, they couldn't ship them otherwise.