Hudson

Shrink wrapped kits

3 hours ago, Fuijo said:

Shrink wrap obviously not only seals air out, but also air in. If Tamiya USA were to wrap their kits in Nevada it would likely give better results than if they were wrapped in Florida. Tamiya don't do it because maybe sealing in

humidity would be a risk in Japan.

They have climate controlled HVAC systems in Japanese factories.  They can shrink wrap in proper humidity condition if they chose to do so.   

It is mainly in the homes after sale where humidity becomes a problem for vintage kits in Japan.  It’s quite normal to have mold spores pop up in Japanese homes especially behind shelves.  It’s just part of life.  

Good luck with your build!  Vintage kits are always fun to build for that special feeling.

8 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

They have climate controlled HVAC systems in Japanese factories.

I never doubted that they would. But unless they seal it up like a biohazard lab, there's always room for things to go wrong. Particularly as Japan has a lot of coastline and salty air.

A laminated cardboard box might well be the best solution for allowing a little breathing, a bit like the cork in a wine bottle. As long as it's stored in a sensible place.

For example after I've run my SRB's at the beach I strip and clean them completely. Washing and relubricating everything as thoroughly as I can. Afterwards, when dry,  I used to then put them in a plastic bag for storage. But after

a few weeks faint signs of corrosion would appear, regardless of what I did. Now I just store them loose in their kit boxes and it's not happened since.

Anecdotal and speculative for sure, but that's my experience. So I always keep the boxes now, regardless of condition, and don't wrap anything except tyres in plastic.

20 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Good luck with your build!  Vintage kits are always fun to build for that special feeling.

Thanks! I'll need it. A whole lot more scary than painting a re-re, and confidence is important with painting. Gulp!

• Haha 1

Only ever had 1 kit shrink wrapped, a 2017 Top Force, and it came from one of the Hong Kong stores, can't remember which.

So I messaged Tamico and this was their exact response - ‘all our new Tamiya kits come shrink wrapped from our supplier’.

Yeah I’ve had a lot of kits from Tamico, every one shrink wrapped. Really didn’t expect this thread to have legs :P

On 9/21/2021 at 12:40 PM, Hudson said:

Does anyone know of a particular online RC store that sells their re releases shrink wrapped,   I know it's a small detail but I do prefer them this way!!

I have delivery address in UK or France.

Many thanks if anyone can help

I purchased both the Toyota Tom 1/12 scale car and the Mach Gogogo from a company out of Japan on eBay. I paid way too much for them, but I a have the luxury these days to splurge and I have always wanted these two chassis since I learned of 1/12 scale racing. Long time ago. Anyways. I can vouch for the companies on eBay sellong from Japan as I had two good , but expensive experiences going this route. I should note though, I went this route as they were the only ones I could find anywhere for months. 

13 hours ago, stellamodels said:

Are the local Tamiya distributor shrink wrapped kits perforated or non-perforated shrink film?

Tamiya USA uses perforated shrink wrap.

I'm from Canada. Every kit I've bought since the late 80's has been shrink wrapped. I've always wondered about pictures of kits in hobby stores I've seen from around the world that had no shrink wrap. Indeed must be a distributer thing?

I must say it's a very satisfying feeling breaking that seal ;)

4 hours ago, Steadman said:

I'm from Canada. Every kit I've bought since the late 80's has been shrink wrapped. I've always wondered about pictures of kits in hobby stores I've seen from around the world that had no shrink wrap. Indeed must be a distributer thing?

I must say it's a very satisfying feeling breaking that seal ;)

Or terrifying...as is my case with my shrink wrapped Egress.  Can't bring myself to do it.

• Haha 1

Shrink wrap is nice, but as long as the box has seals, like Kyosho,  so you know that nothing should be missing from the kit.

1 hour ago, A-Baum said:

Or terrifying...as is my case with my shrink wrapped Egress.  Can't bring myself to do it.

But why? It's an RC car after all. What good does it do anyone sitting in the box unopened? Or is this just an investment thing for you so you can sell it NIB in a couple of years?

7 hours ago, hIghQ said:

But why? It's an RC car after all. What good does it do anyone sitting in the box unopened? Or is this just an investment thing for you so you can sell it NIB in a couple of years?

I'm not sure. I wanted an Egress since I was a kid. I wanted one the last two years but were basically unavailable. Never thought it'd happen. Then I got it and it showed up. It doesn't seem real. This has been the holy grail of cars for me. And no I never look at these things as investments.  

Ah true enthusiasm. :) Much better than seeing them as investments. ;)