Sign in to follow this  
Nikko85

Getting plastic re-chromed

I've got a few pieces that need new chrome finish. Is there any way to send it off and get it done?

I've got a lovely Nikko Peterbilt truck and a few other small pieces but all the chrome has gone. I've since bleached the original away and tried spray on metallic chrome, but it doesn't look the same. It's a handful of parts, so rather than try myself, I was wondering if I could get it sent off somewhere.

Are there are places that can do this for people? It seems a better option than buying all the gear for a handful of pieces. 

Chrome spray paint is available - worth investigating. Modern day product seems to be a lot better than chrome paint from 10 or 20 years ago.

Finding someone to re-plate plastic parts with a chrome finish might be a challenge and probably won't be cheap.  

5 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

I've got a few pieces that need new chrome finish. Is there any way to send it off and get it done?

I've got a lovely Nikko Peterbilt truck and a few other small pieces but all the chrome has gone. I've since bleached the original away and tried spray on metallic chrome, but it doesn't look the same. It's a handful of parts, so rather than try myself, I was wondering if I could get it sent off somewhere.

Are there are places that can do this for people? It seems a better option than buying all the gear for a handful of pieces. 

Molotow Liquid Chrome Mirror Effect - it's paint marker

I'm using this to paint the internal of light buckets: here is what it looks like after the paint.

TbavsDB.jpg

• Like 4

I second that paint maker for smaller pieces, it looks great.  

There are products online to re-chrome,, but if I recall, they were fairly expensive, i.e. hundreds of dollars.

As for paint sprays, I like the Krylon Premium Metallics. 

The "Chrome" comes out like a shiny polished aluminum, not quite Chrome, but nice for $7.50

Here, i painted the bumper on the outside and you can see it has some mirror effect.

deathproofplatefront.thumb.jpg.31c0874c3b37e530fe5821e1323303b3.jpg

• Like 2

Static model builders will tell you Alclad (ALC 107 for regular plastic, ALC 114 for lexan) is the only way to go, but you must use an airbrush for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alclad also has a special clearcoat for these metallic and chrome finishes which is great. All other clearcoats will dull the finish. The Alclad clearcoat also works on the Molotow paint markers (or if you airbrush using the refill for Molotow pens).