Kol__

Grasshopper II 'send off a cliff'... Restoration

Thanks @IoMTom, I had similar thoughts when thinking what could use for A pillars, tree sprues where certainly an option I considered. I think you uploaded a pic of yours? I can't open the link to have a look, the file seems to be an incorrect format.

Been meaning to update this thread for a little while now, as I have been working away on the body shell here and there in the background. To be honest, I've gone way over board with it and it's become more of an exercise of me testing myself on how good I can get it to look more than anything else now. I really don't know how I'll feel when my son smashes the ******* out of it!:lol: but that is it's destiny... brought back from the brink of doom only to face it again in a path certain to end in its ultimate destruction... Still my intention is to ensure it looks pretty as #&@* getting there...

I noticed that where the original A-pillars met the underside of the roof they spilt with a groove down the middle. So I bought some threaded 2mm rod to fix into the end of my 6mm styrene rod, hoping this will give a strong and integrated finish.

gLZUd9F.jpeg

Cut both to size, drilled the top of the styrene rod and screwed the 2mm rod into it.

fHW5cPl.jpeg

QZu4lV3.jpeg

Cleaned up the contact points on the shell, removing the broken parts of the old A pillars with a round file. Filed the ends of the styrene rods a little to help with fitment and bent the 2mm rod to a slight angle as it exited the styrene, so they sit snug into place. 

WpIiiZs.jpeg

BvmZLK3.jpeg

0dHvNiE.jpeg

I then glued the rods in place and used some 1mm styrene sheet to make some braces and glued those in place (notice the blue bits of my glue covered disposable gloves left behind, I need some practice at this:lol:)

ZuJFevE.jpeg

GHRPUVj.jpeg

It's not pretty from the inside, but that doesn't bother me. I don't know how well all of that will hold up, but a few bashes at the hands of my son will tell the story. I'm tempted to drill through from the top of the shell and fit some counter sunk screws through to the back of the styrene sheeting with washers and nuts, but don't really want to have any obvious mods from the outside.

I don't have any body filler, so used some gel super glue by Loctite to fill the gaps around where the A pillars meet the roof, which took an age to dry but seemed to work pretty well

SrRUFZb.jpeg

Sanded the whole shell with 80 and then 120 grit to get rid of the scratches, I don't want to use any filler. Then I did the same for the glued joints between the A pillars and roof. Then I sanded the whole body with Tamiya sanding pads - 400-600-1000. The final finish seems pretty good and the joints you can see below, whilst they may look lumpy, are in fact silky smooth to the touch:)

SIe2xfw.jpeg

i4E8tTL.jpeg

EywN6rt.jpeg

Had to trim off some of the lower bracing, due it coming into contact with the top of the steering servo when fitted and stopping the shell sitting properly on the chassis. No bother, quick trim with a Dremel tool and now it fits snug no probs.

XPpwayp.jpeg

Now onto the paint next, this eve I built a makeshift paint booth, wish me luck!

KcD4ca6.jpeg

• Like 9

Woaw impressive job done there, did you choose a color for that sweet baby ? Box art ? I'm tempted to find one and try a pretty smooth coloring.

I keep an eye on your project ;)

• Like 1

@Kol__ I be tried again with the pic, you can clearly see you are doing a much better Job than me!

8B0C3304-D5D8-4834-B116-A0142742056B.jpeg

• Like 2

On 10/29/2021 at 1:05 AM, Goudar said:

Woaw impressive job done there, did you choose a color for that sweet baby ? Box art ? I'm tempted to find one and try a pretty smooth coloring.

I keep an eye on your project ;)

Thanks mate, I went for my boys fav colour, as some might have seen from my painting query threads, TS-23 light blue...

0aVmBxp.jpeg

So... she is finished guys. Bit of a mission for my first paint job, but I'm glad I did it, learnt a lot and I know my boy is going to absolutely love it. I'm giving this to him for Christmas now, as it was in no way ready for his birthday at the end of last month:lol:

As a reminder, this is how she came to me, eBay advert screenshots I haven't posted before...

47kXryv.jpeg

Z4BfPy8.jpeg

BCeeL5r.jpeg

Here she is finished up with 3 coats of TS-13 clear coat over the top of the blue and the original stickers. Certainly not perfect,but I'm happy with the results and she'll soon be destroyed again anyway:lol:

mT7VlMS.jpeg

qR8cWZ2.jpeg

9yNJmam.jpeg

7SW8mOg.jpeg

Added some additional blue touches with blue wheel nuts and a blue antenna tube and cap.

fWzEdVz.jpeg

sisLi8J.jpeg

Just a driver figure to paint up now, and again it will be my first. Think I'll go for the same blue for the helmet.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Wow, that looks terrific! Nice job on the body repairs. I like to see stuff like that get repaired instead of thrown out and replaced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, markbt73 said:

Wow, that looks terrific! Nice job on the body repairs. I like to see stuff like that get repaired instead of thrown out and replaced.

Totally agree on all fronts! Great save @Kol__!

• Thanks 1

Impressive, nice job. Paint job seems pretty good and looks great.

Original stickers goes well with that blu.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, appreciate the support. It was a bit of a labour of love!

I painted up the driver this week ahead of giving the car to my son this morning. First driver figure I've ever done and I'm pretty happy with it. It's certainly no master piece and is pretty simple and clean, no shading to the face etc.

I primered him up and after painting the visor surround and base of the helmet in black rubber effect paint, I then masked him up and sprayed his helmet the same blue colour as the car.

8kriVT5.jpeg

A little bit of back and forth on getting my lines right around the face etc. but got it to a stage where I was happy enough to leave it at that. Used a few stickers from the Grasshopper II set and some from some others I've picked up. I settled for using a black pen for his eyes, keeping it simple this first time.

Kzt8gDB.jpeg

L0iXbrk.jpeg

pAI6g5w.jpeg

CIuGcQd.jpeg

Here he is mounted in his permanent home. My boy loved the car and thinks the driver is Captain America due to the stars on him!:)

HKGoiKy.jpeg

VgmHKD2.jpeg

Job done. Build complete:)

• Like 5