Kol__

Vintage front arms identification

Hi guys,

I recently picked up Madcap. It was used as a racer and has been heavily modified to include Astute parts and CV shocks of some sort. So that's good and bad imo. Bad in the sense that it's no longer an original car, although the seller did include the original tub chassis, and good in the sense it has some trick parts and more so I can actually run this car without really worrying about it.

My question is...

Does anyone know what these front arms are? They're neither Astute or Super Astute from my research and they are certainly not original Madcap. They also have some spacers at the front, so  really don't have a clue what they're from. However, they look pretty strong and sturdy, so I guess that's a plus!

JnC8wWJ.jpg

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Not sure tbh, but they do look alot more modern than the car. As soon as I seen them I thought of my DB01 lower arms (obviously they aren't them) but along those lines. You can see the end of the arms where there is space for a recessed C hub which is a more modern take on suspension. 👍

James.

• Like 1

Thanks @InsaneJim69 I'm really quite baffled by them. They looks pretty decent and substantial, so as long as I don't break one I should be ok (famous last words). The original owner wasn't sure, said the car has sat on a shelf in the garage for 30 years and any hop'd up parts should from the Astute, these arms are clearly not. The spacers at the front make me think these are a one off, perhaps opportunistic, type of mod. They seem to work well with the shock tower and the shock length etc. I haven't been able to run the car yet, but will see how it performs when I do;)

I'll be really interested if somebody does recognise where they are from, there's something very familiar about them and I haven't been able to put my finger on it, they remind me a bit of some old optional arms we may have had on a Schumacher Pro-cat, just in terms of the simplicity of the shape

Intentionally or otherwise they have holes suitable for droop screws and also seem to have a very inboard mounting point, maybe suitable for a monoshock mount? The moulding pin marks are very obvious which suggests it's a smaller outfit that made them rather than someone like Kyosho.

I don't think they were ever intended for the Madcap. They could easily be meant for the rear of another car.

• Like 1

As above they looks familiar, it's actually annoying me. Lol. If it was me I would keep them and just buy a modern shim kit to make sure they are nice and snug without binding upon the rebuild. 👍

James.

• Thanks 1

Cheers guys, I think maybe we'll never know. I measured the gap between the arms and the mount point and ordered a couple of little nylon spacers to replace what's already there - I discovered during disassembly that the spacers used are little pieces of rubber tube, poorly cut as well I might add.