toyolien

ESC for Super Avante?

I've got most of the parts sorted for my Super Avante build apart from the ESC. I usually use Hobbywing esc's but wondered if anyone had any other recommendations. I'll be using the Tamiya TBLM 10.5t motor.

I want at least a 120A esc. Been looking at the following two:

Xerun V2.1 120A (Seems to be discontinued):

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-xerun-v2.1-bl-esc-120a-blue-376977

and: Hobbywing XERUN XR10 Pro V4 G2 Elite but it's £167!!!!

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-xerun-xr10-pro-v4-g2-elite-esc-silver-447867

I don't mind spending £70-90 but can't really justify £167 (possibly).

Before I order one of the above, are there any others I should be considering?

P.S are you committed to that Tamiya motor, they aren't really up there with the latest brushless motors (though I'm sure it wil be plenty quick enough!)

4 minutes ago, BuggyGuy said:

P.S are you committed to that Tamiya motor, they aren't really up there with the latest brushless motors (though I'm sure it wil be plenty quick enough!)

Nope not really. Got other 10.5 and 13.5 hobbywing motors. Also got several other cars with the tblm motors in and they seem nice. My thinking was that the 10.5t tblm would be similar in speed to a hobbywing 13.5t.

57 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

I have the 120 amp version and very happy with it. It's also not so big, and that's always a plus in my book. You will need a program module or a link to change its settings if you don't want it to be on its default setting, which I believe is blinky. 

• Like 2

If you don't mind ordering from rcmart, they also have the Hobbywing 10BL120 which is cheaper and 120a. Seem a popular choice with others on here.

https://www.rcmart.com/hobbywing-quicrun-1-10-brushless-sensored-120a-esc-10bl120-00074251

I run the SkyRC TS120 and TS160 that @Nicadraus suggested and find them a great value for money option in my race cars. 

Just to round out the options, I use this 120a version which has a plastic case rather than full aluminium and its cheaper

https://www.rcmart.com/sky-rc-skyrc-toro-ts120a-brushless-sensored-esc-for-1-10-1-8-rc-car-black-sk-300044-01-00067556

I know you wanted 120a, but a cheap and cheerful option that is rated down to 10.5T motors (its 80a so can most likely run lower turn motors) is the Trackstar 80a Turbo from hobbyking.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-trackstar-80a-turbo-sensored-brushless-1-12th-1-10th-esc-roar-approved.html?___store=en_us

The only thing that may be a problem is how much space does the TD4 have? You may need one of those very small stock spec ones?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sir Crashalot said:

If you're running a Tamiya motor why not run a Tamiya ESC? 

The 04 will probably run a Tamiya 10.5T?

Only because it doesn't have a lipo cut off.

22 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Only because it doesn't have a lipo cut off.

I think the TBLE-04 both S and R versions have a cutoff now 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BuggyGuy said:

I think the TBLE-04 both S and R versions have a cutoff now 

From TamiyaUSA:

LO/HI Battery Cut-off Information:
LOW & HIGH Battery Low Voltage Protection Feature: LOW battery setting cuts off @ 5.6 volts approximately. (Best for Ni-CD, NI-MH and Li-FE battery chemistry) HIGH battery setting cuts off @ 6.2 volts approximately. (Best for other battery chemistries)

That's a little lower than I like to take my Lipos down to. Shame really, as I would prefer to use Tamiya.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, toyolien said:

and: Hobbywing XERUN XR10 Pro V4 G2 Elite but it's £167!!!!

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-xerun-xr10-pro-v4-g2-elite-esc-silver-447867

I don't mind spending £70-90 but can't really justify £167 (possibly).

Yes, it' expensive. But it's meant primarily for racing - and for modified classes as well. It's an absolute top of the line ESC (some consider it the best on the market). Also you don't need anything close to a 120A ESC for what you plan on doing (tame 10.5T or good 13.5T). An XR10 Pro Stock Spec (80A) should be more than enough. Even the XR10 Justock G3 (60A) might be enough. And both are considerably cheaper.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

The TS120 and 160 are superb, and what I was going to recommend. 

I've got a Hobbywing XR10 Pro Stock and 13.5 set aside for mine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Jon said:

The TS120 and 160 are superb, and what I was going to recommend. 

I've got a Hobbywing XR10 Pro Stock and 13.5 set aside for mine.

This is going off topic...just a bit.  I'm wondering what others you have run to compare to?  I buy the SkyRC because the price/performance is right for me (my son and I have 5 race cars each...).  I bought the TS160 as the resistance is lower and I use it for 17.5T stock racing in 4wd buggy and was looking for any gain I could get.  I  didn't bother with the TS160 for 2wd as power isn't the issue.  I've had an Orca B32 (older model stock spec) and that didn't feel any different to the SkyRC.  People have said that the X ESC will be much better and the only thing they can say is they are much smoother.  I don't really see these as not smooth.  If I'm honest, I can't tell the difference between the Trackstar 80A Turbo (my son has some of these, I used to but they broke), the Speed Passion Reventon 1.1 (this was their top ESC BiTD, so should still be good but is old now) and the TS120 or TS160.

So I haven't really compared to any of the top brands like Hobbywing Pro series, Muchmore, Tekin etc.  Do you have any experience with them?

I have a few SkyRC esc's and they work great.  The program box is simple to understand as well.  When watching the Super Avante build I had concerns about the space available for a brushless motor because the motor can is mostly enclosed, so I opted for the TBLM 10.5 motor because it has all connections at the end cover of the motor.  I also have a few HobbyWing QuicRun 120a controllers that work great.  I'll try that first, as my more pricey SkyRC esc's are already on duty with brushless motors that are higher grade than the TBLM motor.  

I don't plan on playing around with timing or running on 3s because I've found that while it does increase performance, heat also becomes a factor.  With a motor that is mostly enclosed in the Super Avante, I think it will be important to find a balance between the performance you want in a nice and cool running setup.  I think a TBLM 10.5 on 2s with moderate gearing will be enough to get things done (for my liking at least).

• Like 1

I’ve picked up the Performa P1 60a mostly as it’s foot print is small and I figured that space would be at a premium on this build.

specs look fine for what I need it for, light club racing 13.5/10.5T brushless, it’s also v good value. 

https://www.rccarshop.co.uk/pa-9345-performa-racing-p1-controer-60-a-sensor-sensoress-2-3s-binky-p

• Like 3

Thank for all the replies. Most helpful. I've decided to go for the Hobbywing XR10 80A Stock Spec Esc. I already have other Hobbywing Esc's, and also the program box. Just got to wait for the kit to arrive now....

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

This is going off topic...just a bit.  I'm wondering what others you have run to compare to?  I buy the SkyRC because the price/performance is right for me (my son and I have 5 race cars each...).  I bought the TS160 as the resistance is lower and I use it for 17.5T stock racing in 4wd buggy and was looking for any gain I could get.  I  didn't bother with the TS160 for 2wd as power isn't the issue.  I've had an Orca B32 (older model stock spec) and that didn't feel any different to the SkyRC.  People have said that the X ESC will be much better and the only thing they can say is they are much smoother.  I don't really see these as not smooth.  If I'm honest, I can't tell the difference between the Trackstar 80A Turbo (my son has some of these, I used to but they broke), the Speed Passion Reventon 1.1 (this was their top ESC BiTD, so should still be good but is old now) and the TS120 or TS160.

So I haven't really compared to any of the top brands like Hobbywing Pro series, Muchmore, Tekin etc.  Do you have any experience with them?

The TS120 speedos that I have drive very similarly to Hobbywing, ORCA, Tekin, etc. They all have slightly different programming features and options, of course. The difference in "feel", what little I can detect, is probably just tuning or motor differences. 

I'm not much of a racer, so I don't have millions of laps on each to compare. Most of my stuff has Hobbywing sensored setups, some have SkyRC sensored, one Tekin RS Pro, one Speed Passion, a few Trackstar, two Mamba X.

The Mamba X is fine and has pretty good throttle feel. It's enormous, though, so I don't put it in the same class as a racing ESC. Any application I'd want to use one, other than a basher or crawler, there's something else that I'd rather use, and I don't feel like it has enough tuning options. I do like them in my U4 and trail rig.

The Castle Sidewinder 4 is the best driving sensorless ESC I've driven. I was very surprised, because I hated the previous Castle throttle feel so much that I never used them until the Mamba X.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, toyolien said:

Thank for all the replies. Most helpful. I've decided to go for the Hobbywing XR10 80A Stock Spec Esc. I already have other Hobbywing Esc's, and also the program box. Just got to wait for the kit to arrive now....

The XR10 Stock Spec is perfect ESC. Small foot print and plenty of power. You don’t need more than this unless your going full mod. 

39 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

The XR10 Stock Spec is perfect ESC. Small foot print and plenty of power. You don’t need more than this unless your going full mod. 

That's good to know thanks. 13.5t will probably be the limit for me in the Super Avante. 

I've gone for a HobbyWing XR10 Pro Elite along with a XeRun 5.5T. Hopefully all will fit and work out ok.

2 minutes ago, Cynan said:

I've gone for a HobbyWing XR10 Pro Elite along with a XeRun 5.5T. Hopefully all will fit and work out ok.

Wow. That'll be like a rocket! 😯

3 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Wow. That'll be like a rocket! 😯

This is my first array into brushless and I really didn't want to buy twice. I figured I could always limit the power? Now I just need to decide on what LiPo or LiFe to buy for it.

Are you going to do a build thread? Hope so!

Yep definitely going to do a build thread. I've  got some naughty little hop ups on the way too. But this will be my main runner and will get to see some racing action too. 

• Like 3