A-Baum

Avante build - screw bags?

Just starting an Avante 2011 build. Is there ANY rhyme or reason to the screw bags?  Usually Tamiya kits will start you off on bag A and proceed through for the most part. I don't see any indication of that here. Every step I'm going through every bag looking for every screw.  There has to be a better way.  What am I missing?

Keep those bags! Anything with "Avante" on it will be collected by someone with more money than sense : )

• Haha 1

Nope - I found the same thing building my Zahhak a few weeks back. Same screws in different bags - crazy!

All I will say is every now and then, Tamiya do make screw (pun intended) ups and their kits may not be as "shake and bake" as most of theirs. Rare but it does happen. 

• Haha 1

Hmmmm its been a few years but I would double check back maybe......ive built an Avante 2011 and an Avante Black Special and dont recall anything other than the normal "open Bag A" followed by "Open Bag B" etc. Where ive noticed myself scratching through out of sequence parts bags its normally because ive accidently used the wrong length screw normally a 10mm instead of 12mm or vice versa.

2 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Hmmmm its been a few years but I would double check back maybe......ive built an Avante 2011 and an Avante Black Special and dont recall anything other than the normal "open Bag A" followed by "Open Bag B" etc. Where ive noticed myself scratching through out of sequence parts bags its normally because ive accidently used the wrong length screw normally a 10mm instead of 12mm or vice versa.

I double checked the manual and I don't see anything. What I have noticed is one parts bag will be several types of plastic screws, and another bag will be machine screws so the seem to segregate them like that. But of course some bags they throw in c-clips, other they throw in washers, etc.  Just seems haphazard.  They also label some parts being in a "parts bag" but it's really in the blister pack.  Just taking me longer to build, which is ok I suppose, I'll enjoy it more.

Each step, especially the earlier ones, requires parts from multiple bags, the required bags are listed next to the step number in the parts column of the manual.

I think I'm going to get my 2011 Avante kit out today... I purchased it back in 2011 with the titanium screw kit and planned to swap out all of the screws from the Ti set into the various screw bags (removing the corresponding steel screws at the same time) so that I could just build it as normal but with the Ti screws... well that plan went south when I put all the small bags in a big bag to keep everything together and half of them tipped out. Now I have one big bag with the mixed content of all the small bags plus all the Ti screws... 🙄 ******. Now I need to sort them individually before I can start the build. Doh. 😬

EDIT: Dumb question I figured out quickly.  Carry on.

Edited by A-Baum

Might be useful to actually give the answer here, as it wasn't a dumb question at all.

The Avante manual doesn't go through the parts bags sequentially. Rather for every step it lists the location of the parts. So it could say:

BA/BB/BS/PA

This means the parts listed can be found in Bag A, Bag B, Bag S and Partsbox A (the fancy packaging with lexan covered parts). The parts 'code' (eg. BB4) repeats that location.

Mind though... this isn't helped by the fact that not all bags are actually labelled. It only goes up to F. So BH, BL, BS, BT, BP,... are the other bags and you'll have to figure out which bag to pick from when you first come across it.

• Like 1