nowinaminute

Mildly troubling message from Time Tunnel models RE price rises

It is inevitable that prices will rise across the board for most things now, rising wages, higher shipping cost, being outside the EU and higher raw materials costs are just a small number of factors in my modest opinion. 

The 2nd hand market has cooled off a lot in the last few weeks, it will be interesting to see if post furlough and into autumn we see this trend continue or whether or not it was just a blip and prices will rise again particularly if the NIB prices are going to increase. 

• Like 1

As always it’s more complex than the reasons they state, the FX markets will have a big play in this, along with the desire to reclaim lost margin/profits at all stages of the supply chain.

That had been there for a couple days/weeks already but what I had seen is prices seem to have fallen, perhaps due to rising £ vs ¥? 

Its inevitable this was going to happen we are classed as a third country now we have left Europe and we will have to live with the fallout/consequences (whatever you call it depending on your opinions) of that and yes a lot of what rubbish is happening at the moment with energy prices is global but being on our own is not exactly ideal! Importing and exporting is the two things that because of Brexit we are struggling with (and that's putting it politely) in my working life i visit a lot of companies that export/import and the one thing that is blatantly obvious and number one issue is its virtually impossible to import/export good since Brexit without big financial costs and huge red tape to the extent I know of a number of companies that have moved their warehouses into Europe because it's just not viable in the UK (I'm completely impartial it's just what I'm witnessing🤷‍♂️)

Dont get me started on this absolutely pathetically stupid situation at the moment with panic buying fuel!!! This kink in the supply chain with fuel deliveries has been going on for weeks if not months and nobody has noticed until the stupid excuse of a bonehead CEO of BP announced that 5 of their petrol stations had to close and one Tesco's because of supply problems lack of drivers the stupid media got a hold of it and the rest is pathetic history......why did he have to say anything between him and our stupid media they have just blown a none story into the stupid situation we have now🤦‍♂️ and when everyone has emptied the tanks in the ground don't expect them to be filled in any hurry there isn't the drivers to do it!  We must be the laughing stock of the world (I've got relatives in Canada they think we are hilarious) 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, moffman said:

I've got relatives in Canada they think we are hilarious

I have the same with foreign friends and relatives. They see us as kind of stubbornly shooting ourselves in the foot. It's a shame to be associated with things you didn't want.

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens in the long term. 

Oh well. At least we have blue passports now that we could have had any time we wanted anyway. Worth it for that alone.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, moffman said:

Its inevitable this was going to happen we are classed as a third country now we have left Europe and we will have to live with the fallout/consequences (whatever you call it depending on your opinions) of that and yes a lot of what rubbish is happening at the moment with energy prices is global but being on our own is not exactly ideal! Importing and exporting is the two things that because of Brexit we are struggling with (and that's putting it politely) in my working life i visit a lot of companies that export/import and the one thing that is blatantly obvious and number one issue is its virtually impossible to import/export good since Brexit without big financial costs and huge red tape to the extent I know of a number of companies that have moved their warehouses into Europe because it's just not viable in the UK (I'm completely impartial it's just what I'm witnessing🤷‍♂️)

Dont get me started on this absolutely pathetically stupid situation at the moment with panic buying fuel!!! This kink in the supply chain with fuel deliveries has been going on for weeks if not months and nobody has noticed until the stupid excuse of a bonehead CEO of BP announced that 5 of their petrol stations had to close and one Tesco's because of supply problems lack of drivers the stupid media got a hold of it and the rest is pathetic history......why did he have to say anything between him and our stupid media they have just blown a none story into the stupid situation we have now🤦‍♂️ and when everyone has emptied the tanks in the ground don't expect them to be filled in any hurry there isn't the drivers to do it!  We must be the laughing stock of the world (I've got relatives in Canada they think we are hilarious) 

Yep nearly had to cancel my holiday to Yorkshire tomorrow as I didn’t think I needed to fill the car up with weasel juice until today, so went out this morning to fill up and get a few things for the trip and Armageddon!!! Why can’t the press just shut up. The supply issues have existed a while but as soon as the press get hold of it and tell people NOT to panic guess what!!! Luckily found a local station that had just had a delivery and only queued for about 15mins!!!!

Edited by Busdriver
Didn’t make sense
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, moffman said:

.why did he have to say anything between him and our stupid media they have just blown a none story into the stupid situation we have now

Honestly, I was in work yesterday and they must have mentioned it about 20 times on the local radio. Might as well just directly tell people to panic buy. So irresponsible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nowinaminute said:

I have the same with foreign friends and relatives. They see us as kind of stubbornly shooting ourselves in the foot. It's a shame to be associated with things you didn't want.

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens in the long term. 

Oh well. At least we have blue passports now that we could have had any time we wanted anyway. Worth it for that alone.

Yeah I love my blue passport.....its almost as good as the red one I had😁 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Busdriver said:

Yep nearly had to cancel my holiday to Yorkshire tomorrow as I didn’t think I needed to fill the car up with weasel juice until today, so went out this morning to fill up and get a few things for the trip and Armageddon!!! Why can’t the press just shut up. The supply issues have existed a while but as soon as the press get hold of it and tell people NOT to panic guess what!!! Luckily found a local station that had just had a delivery and only queued for about 15mins!!!!

Let's hope you can get away Yorkshire's a lovely part of the country👍 I'm a long distance lorry driver I have been for the last 32 years and I can tell you this driver shortage has been rumbling on for years granted Brexit and covid hasn't helped and offering temporary visas to overseas drivers (Europe) isn't going to make a jot of difference these drivers that worked over here and have now gone back are earning just as much money in Europe as they did over here and they are either working in their own country or in associated countries so why would they come back to the UK on a temporary Visa? When they can basically go home at the end of their working day/weeks? The other factors which are going to put a massive fly in the ointment is the CPC that is required by law and also I require a medical ever 5 years up until 65 then its every year I have colleagues which can't drive because their medical is stuck in the dvsa massive backlog! I've got 3 years left until my pension and im counting down the hour's🤞

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, moffman said:

Let's hope you can get away Yorkshire's a lovely part of the country👍 I'm a long distance lorry driver I have been for the last 32 years and I can tell you this driver shortage has been rumbling on for years granted Brexit and covid hasn't helped and offering temporary visas to overseas drivers (Europe) isn't going to make a jot of difference these drivers that worked over here and have now gone back are earning just as much money in Europe as they did over here and they are either working in their own country or in associated countries so why would they come back to the UK on a temporary Visa? When they can basically go home at the end of their working day/weeks? The other factors which are going to put a massive fly in the ointment is the CPC that is required by law and also I require a medical ever 5 years up until 65 then its every year I have colleagues which can't drive because their medical is stuck in the dvsa massive backlog! I've got 3 years left until my pension and im counting down the hour's🤞

Well you’ve seen my forum name! We have similar issues with CPC and medicals. I’m lucky as I work for a big company and the they run their own in house CPC courses and pay up to £90 towards our medical. The DVLA medical department are a load of unmentionables!!! I’ve had my licence suspended twice for medical reasons, all of which were simply rectified but it took months each time to get my licence back👿

7 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Well you’ve seen my forum name! We have similar issues with CPC and medicals. I’m lucky as I work for a big company and the they run their own in house CPC courses and pay up to £90 towards our medical. The DVLA medical department are a load of unmentionables!!! I’ve had my licence suspended twice for medical reasons, all of which were simply rectified but it took months each time to get my licence back👿

Yeah I'm the same I get my cpc done in house and medical paid for (very fortunate and never take it for granted) I'm lucky I've had no medical issues so again very fortunate but I do feel your pain because I'm watching the stress on my colleague's and its very annoying listening to government ministers prattle on thinking they hold the golden key and they really haven't got a b#@@dy clue what's going on in the real world!

• Like 1

We have only had a bit of coverage down here about the fuel shortage. Its funny though how people react - last lockdown our media showed overseas panic buying of toilet paper so people here did the same, despite the fact we make it here (must be one of the few things left we actually make) so shelves were only empty because they couldn't get it from their storerooms to the shelves quick enough.

And don't forget your new submarine deal, we're hoping we'll get used by France to get back at you guys and get a free trade deal with the EU

That skills shortage is global too. Over here its nurses, teachers, builders. They're all older and not enough young ones to replace them. Which makes sense, as a teacher can't expect to ever buy a house based on current salary and house prices, so everyone wants to be a banker or lawyer to get paid more...yep its working as well as expected.

Back to original topic, that suggests now is time to buy that TRF420 as they are going to go up? I wonder if rcmart etc will be affected too

Though this video is US-centric, I have to imagine other parts of the world like the UK, Australia, and New Zealand are experiencing similar shipping situations.  Some of the highlights for me include:

• 10% of the planet's shipping containers are tied up in anchor; they're not being offloaded as quickly as they arrive at the ports
  • Ocean cargo shippers have usually been on the cusp of profitability, but since COVID the profits are escalating
  • The degree of globalization and interconnectedness of our economies is mind-boggling

Knowing this, and knowing how distributors and retailers add their own markups to stay in business, we shouldn't be surprised retail prices are rising and inventory is scarce.  For hobby products, oh well.  But if food and energy supplies are impacted, that's when things get serious.

• Like 1

I see the pre-orders for the Saint Dragon are around the £190 mark :o

That put's it above the better specced Terra Scorcher.

It's been going this way for a couple of years, though.

It still amazes me that the Manta Ray could be had for around £100 as recently as 2019. A buggy I consider to be broadly comparable. I don't think I'll ever stop regretting passing that one up!