Re-Bugged

Alfa Giulia M06

Thanks @Re-Bugged, I just impluse-bought another M06 kit because of this thread lol. Just a chassis kit; no body yet (can't decide)

This is a big milestone for me: First duplicate kit :lol:

If anything it's a testiment to how enticing this thread is!

Happy to be of service @DeadMeat666 😁, I wasn’t going to hop this thing much, but I have a few bits sitting in the wish list waiting to check out now 😂

2 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

maybe grease? :lol:

That did pass my mind, but it wasn’t going to stop the bearing falling out. The instructions call for the bearing to be pushed in place with the ‘T’ spanner, which I did, but then when turning the gear over the bearing would simply fall out?
Others I’ve done were a snug fit, and stayed in, for some reason this one wasn’t. I even tried other bearings but they all did the same.
I’m not sure the tape is going to last long, I just couldn’t think of much else at the time. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Looking forward to the next bit of progress. 👍

Some of the M06 hop ups seem to be a bit thin on the ground at the moment. The only place I could find the motor plates was Canada, and I am still looking to get some parts (hop ups get addictive). 😬

• Like 1

Nice day for a bit more rattle, rattle, pssst, pssst.

I’ve backed the transparent red now with PS61 Orange after playing around with a few options on off cuts,

BE230A27-E26D-4601-9DD5-4B7D7A7003BC.jpg 

I’m also trying to incorporate a bit of Italian flair by adding a tribute to their flag. Just managed to get the Green on before it gets to dark outside to see probably,

081CD821-0A25-46D3-BE73-7234CBC735E7.jpg

Tamiya’s Park Green would probably be more suitable but I couldn’t get any so I’m using Metallic Green PS17, once backed with white it shouldn’t look to bad. A couple of tiny bleeds on one side to sort out, other than that very happy.

It’s so hard to resist pulling off the clear film just to have a little look 😬

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

It’s so hard to resist pulling off the clear film just to have a little look 😬

One of my favourite parts of the process, it's amazing how much BRIGHTER everything gets when the film comes off :D

Be strong....

• Like 1

Plodding on with the body when I get 5 minutes and now almost up to peeling of the clear film 😃

I think I can see a few dark patches on the bonnet now though but I’m to far in to do much about it, and looking at the Snake Decal, that will probably cover up my sins 😉

Just a white backing to go.

FC71B0A2-DD9E-4349-A05A-BFC8EF8791FF.jpg

39039CA6-E6CD-4F4A-91CA-D1D5F4B3B204.jpg

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Plodding on with the body when I get 5 minutes and now almost up to peeling of the clear film 😃

I think I can see a few dark patches on the bonnet now though but I’m to far in to do much about it, and looking at the Snake Decal, that will probably cover up my sins 😉

Just wow! That looks absolutely amazing! Can't wait to see it finished. 👍

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2021 at 3:03 AM, Re-Bugged said:

🤩 

• Thanks 1

A real shame that translucent red is so hard to get consistent, you've put such effort into this shell. It looks great already, looking forward to seeing it finished. 

• Thanks 1

It all good @Badcrumble, I did have an even covering but tried to rectify a couple of spatters on the bonnet & in doing so lost the uniformity. Getting the paint right down into the front lip of the bonnet is also a challenge. Live and learn, overall I am still really happy with it. They are easier to run with a few imperfections on anyway, and I’m sure they end up going a bit faster that way too 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Getting the paint right down into the front lip of the bonnet is also a challenge.

It’s a bloomin’ nightmare, and made me deeply regret that my paint scheme was so reliant on getting the nose right with two different colours 🙄

Yours is looking sa-weeeet 👌 

• Thanks 1

It all good @Badcrumble, I did have an even covering but tried to rectify a couple of spatters on the bonnet & in doing so lost the uniformity. Getting the paint right down into the front lip of the bonnet is also a challenge. Live and learn, overall I am still really happy with it. They are easier to run with a few imperfections on anyway, and I’m sure they end up going a bit faster that way too 😉

Next time, use an airbrush if you can. Easier to control and get into tight space. 

• Like 1

I know what you mean @Juhunio, in hindsight I think masking around that void above the grille recess might have helped to get a bit more paint down there. 

4 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Next time, use an airbrush if you can. Easier to control and get into tight space. 

I’ve often looked at airbrushes and thought, well, this is probably the last one so it’s a big outlay for one more paint job. That was about 10 kits ago. In all seriousness getting paint for an airbrush is tricky around here. But in saying that it’s definitely worth considering as it’s something I’d like to have a crack at, especially after I’d watched a video of a guy emptying the contents of a Molotow Chrome pen and spraying a Gundam Robot with it. The results were very impressive. 

10 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

I’ve often looked at airbrushes and thought, well, this is probably the last one so it’s a big outlay for one more paint job. That was about 10 kits ago. In all seriousness getting paint for an airbrush is tricky around here. But in saying that it’s definitely worth considering as it’s something I’d like to have a crack at, especially after I’d watched a video of a guy emptying the contents of a Molotow Chrome pen and spraying a Gundam Robot with it. The results were very impressive. 

For painting RC bodies on the inside, it don't need to be a quality one as the "glossyness" is the outside of the shell, unlike if you want to paint static models the "normal" way. Even so, many Chinese clones (cheaper than a set of wheels) works well enough for many modellers. I will go for a mid ranger like a Badger. 

As for air source, if your home will allow it, an industrial compressor is cheaper and better than an airbrush one, but very loud

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Juhunio said:

It’s a bloomin’ nightmare, and made me deeply regret that my paint scheme was so reliant on getting the nose right with two different colours 🙄

Yours is looking sa-weeeet 👌 

I have one on the procrastination pile for this very reason. I want to do a very specific red and white paint job to echo an article on an actual car I once read. 

Need more pics of this one to inspire me @Re-Bugged 😁

• Like 2

@Re-Bugged Amazing work as always, you truly are the master of masking.  Where most people would just decal, you mask and spray.

I'm not much of an airbrush guy myself, but when I need to spray acrylics I use the Tamiya portable compressor which runs off a 7.2V NiMH sports pack.   It's super convenient because I can literally take it anywhere and clean the airbrush right next to my sink in the mudroom and run airbrush cleaner into the sink.  It is quiet and battery runs well over an hour with a 3600mAh.

Pressure is not high so it would not work with thick paints, but it is compatible with other Tamiya airbrush nozzles if one wanted to go deeper into it.  I only use it as a rattle can equivalent with the basic nozzle it comes with.  Works great for when I want to mix custom colors or just matting down, or gloss, etc. without worrying about pressure drop like in rattle cans.. :blink:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I have one on the procrastination pile for this very reason. I want to do a very specific red and white paint job to echo an article on an actual car I once read. 

Need more pics of this one to inspire me @Re-Bugged 😁

Just open the box and admire that beautiful body should be inspiration enough 😉. @OoALEJOoO recently posted a very nice Giulia in ‘RC Gallery’ thread. White, Black and Red, worth checking out 👍🏻.

Some more to help you along..

Love this colour, sort of what I was going to aim for but looking at it now Transparent Orange backed with Red would probably work..

E855F8E0-B4A0-4B81-93F5-05019DD38D4E.jpg

And a die-cast toy car that caught my eye..

C9CF0A91-58BB-400F-99F5-4A327537974C.jpg

If all else fails they just look so sexy in Red…

0F7BC401-8645-4F7D-96A7-1F510CDD229A.jpg

Edit:- Better still take the body out the box and leave on the coffee table in the lounge where you can see it, you’ll be shaking those rattle cans within a week.

Good luck with it 👍🏻

• Like 2

Got stuck in with some PS57 Pearl white…

A142B845-D828-449D-ABA4-C148299275CE.jpg 

9E58297C-F547-48E3-9AB8-F86BC40D86E9.jpg 

Then finally laid some Spaz Stix Silver over that. It would look better with a coat of Black to but taking into the consideration the imperfections and the amount of paint I’ve thrown on it now it’s definitely time to call it a day with spraying and get the window mask’s off as they’ve been on there a while now and peel off the clear film. It’s a bit orange along the tip of the bonnet and if I hadn’t titivated the making it slightly darker it would’ve hardly noticed I think. Anyway I am still smiling looking at it, so this is where it’s up to now…

D61A3676-BA5A-4B4E-9996-7129DEE5503E.jpg 

67F265E4-513D-48F3-AD12-0252182D2816.jpg

The Post(wo)man has just delivered some receivers, so I now I can get to powering up the chassis when I get time 😁

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@Re-Bugged Amazing work as always, you truly are the master of masking.  Where most people would just decal, you mask and spray.

I'm not much of an airbrush guy myself, but when I need to spray acrylics I use the Tamiya portable compressor which runs off a 7.2V NiMH sports pack.   It's super convenient because I can literally take it anywhere and clean the airbrush right next to my sink in the mudroom and run airbrush cleaner into the sink.  It is quiet and battery runs well over an hour with a 3600mAh.

Pressure is not high so it would not work with thick paints, but it is compatible with other Tamiya airbrush nozzles if one wanted to go deeper into it.  I only use it as a rattle can equivalent with the basic nozzle it comes with.  Works great for when I want to mix custom colors or just matting down, or gloss, etc. without worrying about pressure drop like in rattle cans.. :blink:

You have a massive workshop and no compressor?!?! Just hook your airbrush up to a proper compressor and stop messing around with battery powered toy compressors! Mine is set to 25 (cannot remember if it is bar or psi) and forgot it unless I need to spray the awful Vallejo or down to spray pencil line thin camo. 

Now seriously though, airbrush paint should not be thick in the first place, it should be milk like and will go through the airbrush at low pressure, which I use doe spraying fine camo schemes in my static. 

40 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

You have a massive workshop and no compressor?!?! Just hook your airbrush up to a proper compressor and stop messing around with battery powered toy compressors! Mine is set to 25 (cannot remember if it is bar or psi) and forgot it unless I need to spray the awful Vallejo or down to spray pencil line thin camo. 

Now seriously though, airbrush paint should not be thick in the first place, it should be milk like and will go through the airbrush at low pressure, which I use doe spraying fine camo schemes in my static. 

I sure hope psi.. LOL’ed at your post! :lol:

Long tossed the compressor years ago. Brushless cordless is all that’s needed these days.  Also, I paint inside the house (especially in the winter), not in my garage or outside in -20F weather. 

Faskolor use to require 40+ psi for their acrylic lexan paints.  Thus the reference. 

Anyway enough tangent talk, back to Re-Bugged’s Alfa! 

Haha @ 25 Bar, I'd imagine it would almost be blowing holes through the polycarbonate with the paint 🤣

That looks brill @Re-Bugged! Well done on the paint scheme! Multiple colours are always a challenge I find, especially after adding silver and/or black backing coats and you still have to remove masking.

I am still undecided what to do with my Alfa body, but will not be attempting something this complex :blink:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, berman said:

I am still undecided what to do with my Alfa body, but will not be attempting something this complex :blink:

If I was to pick up another spare body it will probably be Red, just Red 😉

I do think sometimes I’d rather mask stuff up than cut out a sheet load of Decals TBH. When I go for multi colours it’s generally a way of using up odd tins of paint I have to hand as well. 

• Like 2