DeadMeat666

Futaba 3PV for a 3-speed kit

What I assume is a pretty straightforward question, but I am struggling to find any information on the net. Forgive my ignorance if this topic had already been covered and I simply didn't find it.

I have a Futaba 3PV, which I assume is a 3-channel transmitter. Is it possible to operate the transmission of a Tamiya 3-speed with that 3rd channel?

If not, can anyone recommend a "cost effective" but decent transmitter/receiver I could get in case I end up buying a 3-speed?

3PV 3rd channel is just a two position switch so wouldn't be possible for a 3-speed. I'm afraid I don't know what radios people use apart from the Futaba 4YWD, which is a basic stick set with the classic "gate" for the 3 speed shift.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sosidge said:

3PV 3rd channel is just a two position switch so wouldn't be possible for a 3-speed. I'm afraid I don't know what radios people use apart from the Futaba 4YWD, which is a basic stick set with the classic "gate" for the 3 speed shift.

Ok I looked at the manual for the 4YWD, and I see the shift gate attachment. I understand the the horizontal axis of the left stick would be used to shift gears (CH3), and the horizontal axis for the right stick would be for steering (CH1).

Question is, where would one assign the throttle (CH2)? To the left stick or the right stick, typically? Both options seem rather awkward in theory.

I ended up just buying a Flysky GT5 to operate my 1:14 semi @DeadMeat666, the switch on the side is a 3 position and works perfectly with the GT Power multi function unit, LiPo compatible too,  Tamiya MFU don’t like 2.4g Transmitters or LiPo’s.

The GT5 has a 20 model memory and the receivers are cheaper than Futaba. 

• Thanks 1

I use a 4PV. It has a digital wheel which can be set to be a 3 position switch. The 3PV cannot do it. 

Just chiming in to say I have 4YWD for my Hi-Lift and I'm happy with it. There are certainly better Tx's out there but for what I need, the Futaba was a perfect match and budget appropriate. Tamiya rebrand them and sell them under their "Attack" brand I think (at an elevated price).