Sign in to follow this  
Boomerang89

Avante body on VQS?

Hi there,

Just recently I rejoined RC car action again after almost 30 years being away (ouch) when my son got a T2M Pirate Racer RTR.

Horrible car, so meanwhile picked up an old Keen Hawk to see how that drives.

As a kid though I ran a Grasshopper, Falcon, Boomerang and then was eying the Avante. Local shop however adviced against it and I ended up with a Turbo Optima Mid SE.

Now I still like the looks of the Avante. However I am more charmed by Egress wheelbase and set-up so therefor wonder: would an Avante body fit on a VQS? VQS and Avante body are still available so I'm thinking of having an Avante like looking car to ride along with my son.

Any advice appreciated.

I'm not familiar with the VQS chassis, but I suppose it's the same wheel base as the Egress one...

you should check this thread out:

Thanks Tex. Did already spot that very nice Avante build. However didn't catch it says anything about running a Avante body on a VQS chassis.

You can fit the Avante 2001 shell, it has the longer wheelbase.

I've got an Avante 2001 body as a spare/alternative for my Egress and it fits perfectly, indeed (it also has the correct shape lower section).

The shape of the upper body is very similar to the original Avante (I used Avante decals), they only differ in the rearmost section.

Thanks for all replies. Maybe should rephrase to make the question a bit more specific.

So I'm asking about an Avante body, not an Avante 2001 body.

Also it is about a VQS, so with the VQS bathtub chassis, its not about Egress carbon plates chassis.

Somehow I fear the Avante body is not wide enough to fit over the bathtub in the front, hence the question.

12 hours ago, Boomerang89 said:

Somehow I fear the Avante body is not wide enough to fit over the bathtub in the front, hence the question.

4-Avante_Chassis.jpg.9d4638e38f7ff35fad95de1eb4a6a6f0.jpgbox_58076_03.jpg.9ca872b512b1424392c05a8eaa7b781d.jpg

Looks like it may work. 

On 10/1/2021 at 6:56 PM, Boomerang89 said:

Thanks for all replies. Maybe should rephrase to make the question a bit more specific.

So I'm asking about an Avante body, not an Avante 2001 body.

Also it is about a VQS, so with the VQS bathtub chassis, its not about Egress carbon plates chassis.

Hi @Boomerang89, I think I got your intention! VQS/ Vanquish is indeed a whole different story, when not equipped with the tuning double deck / Egress chassis.

At first: Forget the Avante 2001 body, which you anyway not wanted because of the different shape! It´s designed for the narrow upper deck of Egress and 2001, and has special extensions on the lower sides for the wider lower deck (compared to origianl Avante). So these you would have to cut anyway, as the bathtub chassis of the VQS is wide on the whole height of the chassis.

I checked cuickly with my Avante shell on my Vanquish runner yesterday. In the front area, it is possible to fit the body. But original Avante body is longer than VQS and Avante 2001 and would have to be shortened in the rear for the VQS rear shock tower, which is to massive to clear the shell. But that could be done with a simple cut of the body, if it´s o.k. for you that it will look a little shorter. 

The rear sides could be cut slightly to reach over the upper area of the bathtub chassis. I couldn´t check fully, because I didn´t have the time to dismount my rear shock tower to check in the correct position. All my stuff is currently packed away for our upcoming moval.

But you brought up an interesting question, and I´ve never seen a Vanquish with Avante body ever. So it could be a cool project!

Kind regards,

Matthias

Vanquish and VQS have longer wheelbase than Avante Chassis.
You can you Avante body on Vanquish chassis but you must drill some extra holes to fits it.
You cannot use the lower tray.

Max

Thanks for this^ ^ ^

Next step on the way to a real "poor man's Avante" ,  can I justify N+1 to the wife (if she finds out...) :-)