Sign in to follow this  
alvinlwh

Crawler ESC?

I am browsing Absima products page and see that they have ESCs for "Crawler & Boat" and another just a 40A ESC with no label saying for what, presumably car. What's the difference between a crawler ESC and a car one? 

Also, they are selling 12T motors with a 40A ESC as a package, surely that will not work? The good old 1060 ESC is 60A and is rated for 12T, 40A is like 1/3 less. 

A crawler ESC would be set up for full drag brake at neutral. whereas a car ESC would be set up with no drag brake. However you can never be too sure with the cheap electronics, it might just be a label to make it easier to sell in a crawler-obsessed marketplace.

• Like 2

On 9/29/2021 at 8:40 PM, alvinlwh said:

I am browsing Absima products page and see that they have ESCs for "Crawler & Boat" and another just a 40A ESC with no label saying for what, presumably car. What's the difference between a crawler ESC and a car one? 

Also, they are selling 12T motors with a 40A ESC as a package, surely that will not work? The good old 1060 ESC is 60A and is rated for 12T, 40A is like 1/3 less. 

That'a just a re-brand of the Hobbywing 1040, which has two versions too. They have different labels yet exactly the same outlook.

"Crawler & Boat" = drag brake as mentioned (can be turned off with a jumper but then there is no brake at all usually for boats).

WP 1040 60A Waterproof Brushed ESC Controller for Hobbywing Quicrun crawler  and boat|Parts & Accessories| - AliExpress

"Car"

WP 1040 60A Waterproof Brushed ESC Controller for Hobbywing Quicrun Car  Motor|esc controller|brushed esccontroller esc - AliExpress

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TamiyAddict362 said:

That'a just a re-brand of the Hobbywing 1040, which has two versions too. They have different labels yet exactly the same outlook.

"Crawler & Boat" = drag brake as mentioned (can be turned off with a jumper but then there is no brake at all usually for boats).

WP 1040 60A Waterproof Brushed ESC Controller for Hobbywing Quicrun crawler  and boat|Parts & Accessories| - AliExpress

So if I want 100% reverse, it will be better to go for the crawler one? As most ESC these days only have 50% reverse. Drag brakes means brakes at neutral right? 

Also, 40A for a 12T limit? Will it really work? 

2 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

So if I want 100% reverse, it will be better to go for the crawler one? As most ESC these days only have 50% reverse. Drag brakes means brakes at neutral right? 

Also, 40A for a 12T limit? Will it really work? 

Yes. Yes. Yes.

But then you only have drag brake at neutral, make sure you're okay with that.

HW is a trusted big brand, unlike those unnamed Chinese manufacturers. If that's mentioned on the specification I'll believe it.

I use my 1040 and don't feel it's much less powerful than my 1060.

• Thanks 1

I agree, Hobbywing is one of the big brands for ESCs (ok, I tend to primarily use their top-tier products and these for my racing cars only so far, but I have come to really love their ESCs in the past years.)

23 minutes ago, TamiyAddict362 said:

Yes. Yes. Yes.

But then you only have drag brake at neutral, make sure you're okay with that.

Thanks, I will get one to try. They are not too expensive so no great lost if I don't like it. Drag brakes at neutral is actually better for kids and inexperienced drivers as they tends to just "let go" when they panic. 

I should get one of those for my CR01.  

But image someone not knowing running drag brake on a GF01?  :lol: Forward tumble all the time.