jonboy1

Wheeler Dealers

I wonder if I can help anyone here. 

I've been watching the past few episodes of the new series of Wheeler Dealers with "Elvis" as the new mechanic. Unless you are paying really very, very close attention (I actually take written notes, and as you will see, it has proved very valuable) you may have missed something really quite exceptional that has, almost, been hiding in plain sight.

You see, it turns out, and - you may want to sit down for this - but "Elvis" used to be an F1 mechanic.....

I'm just going to let that sink in for a bit, as it'll probably have come as quite a shock to you all.

Anyway, as I was saying, I thought I misheard him at first, so I rewound it a bit and sure enough, he said he used to be a mechanic in F1. Gobsmacked I continued. It turned out though that I needn't have rewound it as just a few minutes later he said it again. And then again.

And again.

And again.

And yet again.....

By the end of the episode I looked down at my notes and - you remember those photomosaic pictures that were all the rage around 1998-00 - well, there in the middle of it, hovering above the page I could see "Ex F1"

So there you have it. "Elvis" used to be an F1 mechanic. Just in case you missed it the 1000 times he's dropped it into his voice overs.

• Like 1

Yes he had a F1 back ground. Now he is working with Mike brewer and pretty much washing and cleaning cars! no skill on his side. The show became crap since Ed left.

• Like 3

he's already done a series with him where they get a viewer their dream car through trading up from what they give them

I don't know how Mike Brewer gets away with it??.

He comes across as the stereotypical 2nd hand "dodgy' car salesman with very little knowledge about cars, often embarrassing himself with "facts" or analogies that are obviously incorrect.

And the smugness when he buys a car for a lot less than the asking price when he "robs" an old person, it paints him in a terrible light in my opinion..

I hate Mike Brewer.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The thing is every episode is scripted even the car buying bit. It was released years ago by Edd, that they had a buyer setup before they even bought a car and the buyer sets a target to what they want from the car and what it will look like in the end etc. Then they send out feelers for people to contact them with a specific car for sale. 👍 It's upto the mugs who get in touch to want more for their cars, but looks like 2 minutes of fame is better for most 😂

James.

11 hours ago, InsaneJim69 said:

Yeah, wasn't too shoddy a mechanic being at McLaren too 👍

James.

marc-priestley-mclaren.jpg

not being funny here but if he was that good then why isn't he still in the f1 we all now if you dont cut it then your out of f1 from what ive seen of him on that series iv'e already mention'd  he looks the same as mike and i can't think whats going throught his head when he deceided to make a mogy travelier his daily :lol:

i remember seeing a video on u-tube a few months back with the title wheller dealers end'd because of this then a sort series came on quest with ant  making his own first f1 car while they was supposably taking a holiday and i saw him advertised in a new series the other day on discovery ch i think called "Celebrity IOU: Joy Ride" as i have not watched any of the new series of wd yet i dont know if motor trend still own the rights to it either i am surprised they hav'nt  tryed going into europe or aus instead of comming back to the uk

Mike brewers stance regards the Ed split was that Ed got lazy when they moved to the states! The show started showing less of the spanner work,the interesting stuff.Now its all wash and bolt stuff on. Elvis is wasted on this current rubbish of a show. Not keen on anstead either,bit smarmy know it all,ex policeman I think.

Remember when Brewer did RC madness?

On 10/2/2021 at 2:47 PM, Gazzalene said:

Mike brewers stance regards the Ed split was that Ed got lazy when they moved to the states! The show started showing less of the spanner work,the interesting stuff.Now its all wash and bolt stuff on. Elvis is wasted on this current rubbish of a show. Not keen on anstead either,bit smarmy know it all,ex policeman I think.

Remember when Brewer did RC madness?

you could see that with edd before they even went to the states but you can't blame him tbh as he did all the work while brewer just showed up every know and then.

in theory they never really made money on the car they did/do cause if you factor in the labour cost and how long it takes to do a car they buy their is no way they make money 

i would say they make a huge loss tbh but hey tv company's don't car about that cause if they did it would have been canned a long time ago i was watching one the other day where brewer went to con a car from some one and as soon as he got their he was picking faults on it to the owner (baring in mind the car was from the 80's) and one was the wheels will need refurbing the engine bay looked a little ruff ...know when he got back to the garage edd came out and as he did started pointing out the obvious to mike and one was the wheels and brewer just shut edd down for the exact same thing he done when pointing out stuff to the seller i mean come on brewer off all people know a car esp from the 80's will need attention seeing he has'had a car dealership when i worked a a valeter/detailer we had cars come in less than a year old that looked 30 years old. when he buys a car and moans about this needs doing that needs doing to the seller they should say well thats why your here to buy ......to fix the problems with it and sell it on

i wished he would know on my door to buy a car and then precede to knock it he would not last 10 seconds before he would be booted of and told where to go

49 minutes ago, RichieRich said:

What I want to know is why Mike always looks sweaty.

It's hard work moving 4 chins while he blethers rubbish about stuff he doesn't understand?. 

Or the other problem that is rampant in the BBC..

He is enthusiastic though, he has the enthusiasm of a small child, but not as much knowledge..

• Haha 1

I never believed from the start the show actually bought and sold for profit. prob made a loss on all the cars BUT made the money selling the show.

Its like Drew Barrimore, anytique guys car show. They find a tradesman, apolsterer,engine builder,bodywork man THEN tailor the show around that,all fixed.

Read somewhere that discovery wanted to cut the spanner work out coz it was too expensive to film. That's the most interesting part. The UK version with Elvis must be apx £3.50 per episode to make. See 2 of the first series ,then gave up.

Would rather watch Ed on YT.

Didn't realize Ant left, but I loved Edd back in the day. I knew they were going back to England, but didn't know the mechanic swapped out.

The show in later years was more commercial and all about ads & product placement, than it was flipping a car for minimal dollars. "Oh Look, they made a rusted out POS, into a $50K sale in just under an hour" (eyeroll). I miss the WD's of the aught's and probably why I've enjoyed "Flipping Bangers" so much (even if it is a bit unrealistic in terms of time frame).

Haven´t seen the show in years, but recently discovered Edd China´s new YouTube channel and have been binging it.

The channel is just called «Edd China», so easy to find. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 6:46 AM, wolfdogstinkus said:

often embarrassing himself with "facts" or analogies that are obviously incorrect.

Yes , like the time they bought a Jeep and went to an exhibition with and Mike pointed out at a fly past by a "genuine Spitfire" which was in fact a Hurricane !!

• Like 1