lowspot

Kyosho Fantom

Here we go again. After I have finished the Ultima, I'm hooked and I scored a Fantom for a good price. I'm planing a brushed motor setup with a classic LeMans 480T. Also have scored a HDR carbon chassis set. They are sold out everywhere but have found a last one in Japan. I might do a bit different paint job, but not sure yet. I hope that the final parts arriving within the next days.  The box and motor are already here.

D9sDLe.jpg

• Like 10

The real question is : did you know before ordering the Ultima about the Kyosho hook? :-D

On my side, I knew already when ordering the Turbo Scorpion there will be more after this one. At this stage there is 3, and I'm definitely looking at the next one :D...

5 hours ago, silvertriple said:

The real question is : did you know before ordering the Ultima about the Kyosho hook? :-D

On my side, I knew already when ordering the Turbo Scorpion there will be more after this one. At this stage there is 3, and I'm definitely looking at the next one :D...

I knew it right after I ve started the Ultima :-) 

I have ordered a set of blue decals from MCI to replicate the early version of the Fantom but I have also scored an awesome Plazma MK3 with that particular body shape (and a weird paint job) and I might just use it for this project - decisions, decisions . . . 

cqoxqf.jpg

The HRD Carbon Fiber chassis set has arrived t- the parts are looking superb ! I simply like these pan cars - they are satisfying simple constructions but with a very elegant touch.

RCRcQN.jpg

• Like 2

Looking forward for the next operation. I did mount its original sister when young, and that will remind me that time (Kyosho hook got me a long time ago :) ). That's a car I never really ran, as there was nowhere to run it properly. I sold it to a friend a few weeks after finishing the build...

• Like 1

Enjoy the build @lowspot. Good choice on the LeMans motor; I could not get a Sport-Tuned nor a Hobbywing to fit, and I ended up using a LeMans as well. You will also need a mini servo, just in case you didn’t know. 

I also discovered that the Newman Porsche 956 body (from the RM01 kit) fits quite nicely on the Fantom. Here’s mine:

EBACC7FB-7C5D-47C4-BCC6-7F7EBAF36219.jpeg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Room335 said:

Enjoy the build @lowspot. Good choice on the LeMans motor; I could not get a Sport-Tuned nor a Hobbywing to fit, and I ended up using a LeMans as well. You will also need a mini servo, just in case you didn’t know. 

I also discovered that the Newman Porsche 956 body (from the RM01 kit) fits quite nicely on the Fantom. Here’s mine:

That Newman is a very nice livery. I have the Rothmans on a RM MK.5 chassis - they are awesome looking cars. I do have the right servo and all other parts. I'm also waiting for pretty much all hop ups available for this one but they will be added later. I just love the slick look of the Fantom body. Using a Tamiya Porsche on that beautiful chassis is a sacrilege for me :-) .... even when it's a very nice one.

That's my Porsche 956 

3apTg9.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I again have started with the body-kit first. A nice and warm spring day in South Australia, perfect for a paint job.

My first thought when I ve opened the box was "...ohh, that's an easy body kit" .Lage decals and not many but it has turned out to be a very tricky one and I have done a lot of Touring cars with sticker sheets of 130+ . The Fantom doesn't have as many but they are not easy to apply - a hair dryer and a lot of patience is required.

1UuIjN.jpg

sCchmt.jpg

skOPeX.jpg

Two cans of white in thin layers and about 15 mins between each layer, then silver to cover the shiny white and finish off with black, just like box art.

ygnXWf.jpg

6mx1mQ.jpg

lnaIxP.jpg

AxSxmD.jpg

9wOqYz.jpg

The cockpit part is relatively easy to do - don't even need to be very precise. There is a sticker for pretty much everything.

wuqzp9.jpg

aYQf4F.jpg

And that's the result - like the slick look. The large decals are applied with soapy water. Have added a thin black line at the bottom to simulate a carbon fiber base plate, just like on the real Le Mans race cars and some black lines to highlight the different body parts.  I like it.

RTSc1O.jpg

Starting with the chassis soon . . . . 

• Like 5

The chassis is relatively easy to build - A BAG ....... it obviously is a bag with only turnbuckle parts.

No plasic parts and it all goes together in no time. 

7fe1vk.jpg

tf8IMp.jpg

7NgrAd.jpg

aMaFM5.jpg

bZOJog.jpg

The B BAG is to complete the front axle - again very easy to assemble and I'm using the HRD carbon parts instead of the FRP ones.

Spacers are a bit difficult with big fingers like mine :-) Quality is outstanding - very nice and solid construction.

Y7Gm7C.jpg

mYCEzt.jpg

mhvunW.jpg

gAbFhL.jpg

Kjr6Mx.jpg

The one way is very smooth and makes a nice ticking sound when running free. I have found two bearings for the steering in my spare box to replace the brass bushings - have ordered the missing two bearings and hope shipping doesn't take too long.

To be continued . . . . 

• Like 3

opened the C BAG - this kit only contains one tree of plastic parts and I'm not even using all of them - the Carbon fiber chassis plate is looking really nice - such a good looking part.

wIZvWs.jpg

KGOODq.jpg

uwtBLr.jpg

u9OoY2.jpg

fKL7a4.jpg

9jYABT.jpg

The steering is done and the quality of the parts is superb - the parts have no play  - very happy so far.

• Like 3

On 10/2/2021 at 6:35 PM, lowspot said:

RTSc1O.jpg

Starting with the chassis soon . . . . 

Awesome job on the body @lowspot. I’m typically a “non box art” guy, but the Fantom just looks amazing as Kyosho envisioned it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've never seen one of these close up. Fantastic pictures. I bet they run even better with today's battery tech and small, lightweight electronics.

• Like 3

Nice work!

I did built a Fantom while young, but had nowhere to get it run properly. Sold it few weeks after to a friend who was used to go in a place where he could run it decently... Looking at this thread, it makes me something...

But while the situation is different : I'm living in a different place, have some space, there is still one category of cars I won't have a proper place to run, it is this one...  I will skip it for the time being. But hey, If I had some place where to run it, I would definitely add it in my long wishes list...

8 hours ago, Room335 said:

Awesome job on the body @lowspot. I’m typically a “non box art” guy, but the Fantom just looks amazing as Kyosho envisioned it.

Thanks mate, I just love the green stripes and how they flow over the body.

6 hours ago, RichieRich said:

I've never seen one of these close up. Fantastic pictures. I bet they run even better with today's battery tech and small, lightweight electronics.

I hope it's gone be fast, not that I want to drive fast but always good to have enough power :-)

2 hours ago, silvertriple said:

Nice work!

I did built a Fantom while young, but had nowhere to get it run properly. Sold it few weeks after to a friend who was used to go in a place where he could run it decently... Looking at this thread, it makes me something...

But while the situation is different : I'm living in a different place, have some space, there is still one category of cars I won't have a proper place to run, it is this one...  I will skip it for the time being. But hey, If I had some place where to run it, I would definitely add it in my long wishes list...

Have the same problem - only have a small public road and I definitely take it out to check the performance but most likely it will only be driven occasionally on 20% in in my living room :-)

Here we go, D-BAG - have set the rear axle adjuster on the highest point - there is no point in lowering an already lowered car and there is a lower risk for the carbon base plate to be scratched 

FRh2El.jpg

dG1Na5.jpg

3tGwqY.jpg

0AdAIZ.jpg

And then it was time to mount the motor. That is the 480T that should go into the Fantom. My motor labels from MCI haven't arrived yet and I just can't stand a scratched motor.

9pvyyn.jpg

I'm using the 240SB for now - has just been rebuild and ultrasonic cleaned - ready to go in a car.

vanQDc.jpg

AZyUJC.jpg

5LxDD2.jpg

Couldn't move the motor to the diff and the reason was the carbon base plate - I assume that a brushless is slightly smaller in diameter and fits with no problem.

Had to grind just a tad of the corner to make it work.

FuzCOe.jpg

AB2nRx.jpg

And here is the result - the LeMans motors are my favorite ones for the looks. The colored metal end bell and the copper anodized front end end parts adding a nice touch  to the car.

The 240SB is labeled with 29.000 - 30.000 rpm - the new recommended brushless 480T with only 14.400rpm. It's gone be a beast :-)I might just leave the 240SB in the car and use the 480T for my next project.

Last one is the E-BAG - I have to squeeze the electronic into that little chassis. Trackstar pan car servo and Quickrun 1080 crawler ESC with program card.

cfp3UI.jpg

OErUiK.jpg

EtOo85.jpg

5slGfX.jpg

calTDa.jpg

bnhK9n.jpg

vc5qgH.jpg

And here is the result - I'm in love with this little gem - it is such a great little car. Have even added a gyro to control the power, not sure if I need it but better safe than sorry as the power to weight ratio is insane !

I have set the speed controller to the bare minimum of what can be set and it still is fast. The first circles in my living room were awesome and I don't even have to adjust anything.

G3oZrJ.jpg

XvsEzy.jpg

H4nzgc.jpg

AY5Fqn.jpg

H5hnzd.jpg

Still not done ..... more hop ups to come

• Like 7

Looks fantastic,  and prompted me to buy one today, my 1st ever new  RC car.     Steep learning curve coming my way....Cant wait.

• Like 2

That looks amazing, but does the chain actually rest on the upper plate as it seems to in your pictures, or are there tensioners guiding it over the top or something?

18 minutes ago, Yalson said:

That looks amazing, but does the chain actually rest on the upper plate as it seems to in your pictures, or are there tensioners guiding it over the top or something?

296336260_KyoshoFantomChassis.thumb.jpg.f394c43a5eab92e963b447f791ca11c6.jpg

No, it seemingly just drags over the upper chassis. Which is... odd. I don't like the lack of clearance under the battery either, as it seems it has plenty of opportunity to rub on that too. I loved following your build of this car and the fit and finish of the parts looks to be very much up to Kyosho's typically impeccable standards. But it seems they made some very strange design choices with regards to the routing of the chain. It seems like all in it weighs about 850g and change, so it rather baffles me why they didn't have the spare weight to specify a chain with a couple of extra links and some ballraced chain guides to route it around the major chassis components and the battery. As far as I am aware there are no race series for 1:12 4WD on-road cars, so the chassis is a weird anachronism in any case and it isn't like Kyosho would be making the car uncompetitive in comparison to any rivals by doing so.

On 1/15/2022 at 4:11 AM, Yalson said:

No, it seemingly just drags over the upper chassis. Which is... odd. I don't like the lack of clearance under the battery either, as it seems it has plenty of opportunity to rub on that too. I loved following your build of this car and the fit and finish of the parts looks to be very much up to Kyosho's typically impeccable standards. But it seems they made some very strange design choices with regards to the routing of the chain. It seems like all in it weighs about 850g and change, so it rather baffles me why they didn't have the spare weight to specify a chain with a couple of extra links and some ballraced chain guides to route it around the major chassis components and the battery. As far as I am aware there are no race series for 1:12 4WD on-road cars, so the chassis is a weird anachronism in any case and it isn't like Kyosho would be making the car uncompetitive in comparison to any rivals by doing so.

Thanks mate ! I agree, it's a bit odd that the chain is rubbing on  the deck and underneath the battery. I have added glide tape for industrial conveyer belts and that helps a lot. On the other side I do like the odd design from the mid 80th and all the imperfections of these simple construction - I only occasionally pull it out for a few spins in my living room so it doesn't really bother me :-)

• Like 2

On 1/17/2022 at 8:52 AM, lowspot said:

Thanks mate ! I agree, it's a bit odd that the chain is rubbing on  the deck and underneath the battery. I have added glide tape for industrial conveyer belts and that helps a lot. On the other side I do like the odd design from the mid 80th and all the imperfections of these simple construction - I only occasionally pull it out for a few spins in my living room so it doesn't really bother me :-)

It is things like this sort of oddball chain drive that appealed to me,  hence i am now many  many ££££'s invested in this car plus as many  hop ups  i could find.   Going too start building it very soon.

QK.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, quattrokid said:

@lowspot    What "grease" did you use on the one way bearing?  If any ? 

Cheers QK.

I had half a tube from my Ultima build left but I'm not even sure whether I have lubricated the one way . . . . :-)

4 hours ago, lowspot said:

I had half a tube from my Ultima build left but I'm not even sure whether I have lubricated the one way . . . . :-)

Yeah, theres conflicting advice about this .    

QK.

Impressive! All those carbon parts take me back when Group C racing was king on the TV back when I was young in the 80’s. Nice build and so many carbon options! Like most here that built a 1/12 scale on road from Kyosho it’s nice to see these kits again. My first on road Kyosho was the Super Alta Porsche 956 in its Canon livery. It sat on the upper shelf in my room most of the time as it was super low and needed a large flat surface to unleash its speed. It’s such a drastic comparison to the Fantom, looking forward to seeing more options, great job!

• Thanks 1