Lunchy

Newbie with Lunch Box Server Issue

Hello everyone.

I have a lunch box with a Futaba s3004 servo with it.  I just took it out, noticed the wheels wouldn't turn.  Looked at it and the screw that goes into the servo was missing.  Only the second time I brought it out for a run.

I think the screw came with the lunch box kit???.. maybe not.  I guess my question is, is there a place I can get a few replacement screws?

Thanks!

It's one of these 4 screws.  If you take out the servo, you can see the thread. 

If not, try one by one.  Don't force it.  Thread locker could prevent the screw from coming out. You can even use school glue.    

NVAav0X.jpg

Futaba plastic gear servos (like the S3004) use an M2.6 tapping screw. You might have got some extras with the servo anyway.

Securing the screw with a smear of superglue on the threads is a good idea. Avoid threadlock as it attacks the plastic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Lunchy Are you using the factory servo saver horn?  In this case you may have lost the plastic spacer too (P1) that goes under the screw and into the servo saver horn.  The horn will not operate properly without that spacer.  It's possible the screw you used was too short too.. The screw in the CW01's manual use BB2 below or 3x12mm tapping screw for servos that use self tapping screws.  

IMG_Oct12021at85840AM.jpg.35fc598795a2cc90147d5dc40182e4b1.jpg

30 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@Lunchy Are you using the factory servo saver horn?  In this case you may have lost the plastic spacer too (P1) that goes under the screw and into the servo saver horn.

I always forget that part when building and then wondering why my horn falls apart!

Good call - 

Looks like the spacer is not there either.  Crap!!!

Any ideas on the best way to get these parts?  Do I need to buy a new chassis or something... yikes!

10 hours ago, Lunchy said:

While you are at it, why not get a Tamiya 51000 instead? It is a better replacement. 

23 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

While you are at it, why not get a Tamiya 51000 instead? It is a better replacement. 

It is most definitely, but S3004's do not have the level of torque (like 1.6kg at 6V) that can justify the extra stiffness.  May end up breaking the servo with a big enough hit on the front wheels.   Luckily CW01's have a light front end so the S3004 and factory servo saver should be adequate. 

There is also a stronger plastic servo saver horn that doesn't require that tiny plastic washer. Got it off eBay, 300% stronger plastic servo saver. Put that on the lunch box, it's indeed very hard, it's also harder to screw the screw into it. I opted to drill tap m3x0.5 tap tool and add m3 luck nut. My lunchbox doesn't get much run time but I did buy an aluminum horn and steering set in case the stronger plastic horn breaks. Had 2 strong plastic ones, one broke when I forced too hard with machine threads so drill/tap tool won.

I could never figure out how you are supposed to agree that into the horn with machine tread screws.