Sign in to follow this  
GeeWings

Brush painting a PC shell. Help wanted!

I recently purchased a GF01 Land Cruiser. The whole front grill (white surround, black grill and lights) is just a decal as is the rear TOYOTA lettering. I'm not keen on using the decal, especially the grill one, and would rather paint if possible.

But I've not brush painted PC before. Is it easy to avoid brush-marks, etc? Should I use Acrylic or Enamel? Any general hints? Am I likely to end up with a worse finish than just using the decal? Any tips and guidance much appreciated.

Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 1.12.26 pm.png

I just used the decal with an emboss heat gun/silicon squeegee and it turned out fine.  

As for brush painting, if you apply an even rich coat, there will be no brush marks.  I’ve used acrylic and the oil based on polycarbonate and they both work fine.   For acrylic I used a super soft brush and a hair dryer after each coat to speed up the drying.  GL with your build!

@Willy iine I might end up just going with the decal but I wasn't sure if it would let the look of the build down a bit. Maybe bot once it's actually on though. Looking at images online it looks like some people have use the the grill that comes with the CC01 (or maybe a third part one) as the level of detail is different. Anyway, will get on with the build and decide once I get further along.

I've been wondering the same thing. How is the durability of the acrylics, do they bond well to the PC?

4 hours ago, GeeWings said:

But I've not brush painted PC before. Is it easy to avoid brush-marks, etc? Should I use Acrylic or Enamel? 

It is far easier than painting normal models, just keep pilling it on and any brush marks will be gone. Keeping the paint within where it is needed is more tricky, as unlike normal models, you cannot cover mistakes with more paint. 

Use "pure/real" waterbased acrylics like Vallejo, Mig, Revell Aqua, etc... and not solvent based acrylics like Tamiya X/XF, Mr Color H. 

Here is one I had done yesterday, my first attempt after decades of doing normal static models.  Take note of the layering sequence:

Final color > backing > primer (if not backing color) > clear coat. 

2 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

I've been wondering the same thing. How is the durability of the acrylics, do they bond well to the PC?

There are acrylics that are made for PC, Vallejo Premium is one such example, but I had used their entire range on PC, whatever color I have or can get or needed. 

The trick is to think backwards, final color > backing color > primer > clear coat. Ideally, use any of their tougher range such as Premium (as mentioned), Game or Mecha. 

IMG_20210924_165747.thumb.jpeg.d9181fea5f82a52f576a237b2b5833d7.jpeg

This is done using Vallejo's Model Air Polished Gold backed by Game Air Black. I thought that that will be enough and being too eager to post the finished photo, slapped the shell on. The wires coming out of the RX rubbed a few chips in the paintwork. Learning from my mistake, I repaired the chips and slapped on a thick coat of clear as a finishing touch. 

Now, I normally airbrush Vallejo very badly as they are hard to control and inconsistent (for me, they are masters with Vallejo too), but painting the inside of a PC shell, it no longer matter. The finish is the shell, no matter how rough the paint is on the inside, it cannot be seen. 

• Like 1

@alvinlwh thanks for the advice and tips. I’m only really contemplating the grill, indicator lights and TOYOTA lettering on the back. As you say, staying within the designated areas will be the tricky bit I guess. But I think I will give it a go. I’m just not convinced the decals will provide a great look. 

12 minutes ago, GeeWings said:

@alvinlwh thanks for the advice and tips. I’m only really contemplating the grill, indicator lights and TOYOTA lettering on the back. As you say, staying within the designated areas will be the tricky bit I guess. But I think I will give it a go. I’m just not convinced the decals will provide a great look. 

Try paint markers, but they MUST be backed. Even my acrylic markers that is "permanent on anything" says they must be overcoated. 

However, be warned, even using markers may not look right as due to the thickness of the plastic, it may look OK on the inside, it is still wrong on the outside. Takes practice. 

6 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Try paint markers, but they MUST be backed. Even my acrylic markers that is "permanent on anything" says they must be overcoated. 

However, be warned, even using markers may not look right as due to the thickness of the plastic, it may look OK on the inside, it is still wrong on the outside. Takes practice. 

Yes, I’m certainly going to practise with some offcuts first. No point avoiding using decals if the painting looks worse!

You mention “final color > backing color > primer > clear coat” but given I’m painting from the inside, presumably I ignore the primer and clear coat. Unless I’m missing something in your explanation?

Just now, GeeWings said:

Yes, I’m certainly going to practise with some offcuts first. No point avoiding using decals if the painting looks worse!

You mention “final color > backing color > primer > clear coat” but given I’m painting from the inside, presumably I ignore the primer and clear coat. Unless I’m missing something in your explanation?

I use primer as it gives another layer for the paint to "cling" on to to form a tough layer, if it makes sense. Another reason is the primer is often my backing coat as Vallejo makes primer in white, black, gray, silver, russian green, etc... just to name a few that I have. Also, primer tends to be more opaque and able to block out light bleed. For the same price and in an unimportant area (cannot usually be seen), why not use the toughest paint I can find?

4 minutes ago, GeeWings said:

Good thing about acrylics is that if you make a mistake, it wipes or washes right off.

I've used the old Tamiya PC brush paints in the past and not had any issues with brush marks.

Keep the paint well stirred, particularly for any metallic paints, apply quite thickly and allow to cure fully before attempting a 2nd coat - a 3rd coat may be needed but I've never used any additional backing coat.

10 minutes ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

I've used the old Tamiya PC brush paints in the past and not had any issues with brush marks.

Keep the paint well stirred, particularly for any metallic paints, apply quite thickly and allow to cure fully before attempting a 2nd coat - a 3rd coat may be needed but I've never used any additional backing coat.

OP may not be able to get PC paints these days and have to rely on "modern" acrylics instead. The alternative is to decant regular PS spray.

https://www.timetunnelmodels.com/live/catalog/tamiya-polycarb-brushpots-c-60_154.html

"Note: This range has been withdrawn by Tamiya - we only have the colours shown below, which have been reduced to clear. Tamiya now recommend that for missing colours you use the PS spray paints and simply spray into the cap for brushing."

7 hours ago, GeeWings said:

@Willy iine I might end up just going with the decal but I wasn't sure if it would let the look of the build down a bit. Maybe bot once it's actually on though. Looking at images online it looks like some people have use the the grill that comes with the CC01 (or maybe a third part one) as the level of detail is different. Anyway, will get on with the build and decide once I get further along.

Is the CC01 or alternative grill an actual plastic piece?  If so, I suppose you can cut out the body later and mount it using some thin 3M tape.  Should look good.

BTW, I borrowed your idea running the slicks.. I ordered black wheels for mine and will run them on my currently stock GF01 + orange LandCruiser pickup body.  I will probably end up lowering it quite a bit to get that street vibe stance.  Thanks for your input on the parcel delay.. ended up ordering via express which the freight costed more than the wheel/tire set.  :lol:

Acrylic polycarbonate paint has adhered quite well on mine, @OoALEJOoO

11 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Is the CC01 or alternative an actual plastic piece?  If so, I suppose you can cut out the body later and mount it using some thin 3M tape.  Should look good.

BTW, I borrowed your idea running the slicks.. I ordered black wheels for mine and will run them on my currently stock GF01 + orange LandCruiser pickup body.  I will probably end up lowering it quite a bit to get that street vibe stance.  Thanks for your input on the parcel delay.. ended up ordering via express which the freight costed more than the wheel/tire set.  :lol:

Yes, the grill is chromed plastic from what I’ve seen. There must be different versions as I’ve also seen a few builds with a more detailed grill.

Regarding the slicks; where did you find black wheels? RCMart only had white. I’m going to leave mine white in the first instance to match the white roof. I’m wondering though if I should still spray them? Maybe grey prime and then a couple of coats of white to create more enamelled look rather than plastic.

I doubt I will really run on the slicks but they looked too good to turn down! The stock tires that come with the kit are pretty naff though I think.

Original intent was that this build would be the runner my son would use but I’m starting to fall in love with it (or at least the idea of what it will be) a bit too much! I need to get the old FAV I got recently up and running so he can bash that about, it needs a full restore anyway!

I’m with you in shipping costs. Three seperate orders arrived from RCMart in the last two days. All orders were weeks apart. I should have ordered all at once but was too disorganised and didn’t plan well enough what I would need.

7 minutes ago, GeeWings said:

Yes, the grill is chromed plastic from what I’ve seen. There must be different versions as I’ve also seen a few builds with a more detailed grill.

Regarding the slicks; where did you find black wheels? RCMart only had white. I’m going to leave mine white in the first instance to match the white roof. I’m wondering though if I should still spray them? Maybe grey prime and then a couple of coats of white to create more enamelled look rather than plastic. Looking forward to trying some stuff with this build which will be my second ever!

I bought the ones on the left... I hope I bought the right ones!  :lol: 

https://www.rcmart.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=R31House Kart Rims 2 pcs Black

As for the chrome grill, are you referring to this one?  This is on my CC01, it did not click in my head as this is not a pickup..

IMG_Aug262021at41155PM.thumb.jpg.10436080a2ee0d1aa0d4940c09286dd7.jpg

As for painting the wheels, I do it all the time.   I use Tamiya's TS paint.   My orange pickup to me looks cool with black wheels so I wanted black wheels with slicks.. this is TS semi-gloss black on the pickup, the Jimny is running TS gloss gunmetal.

IMG_Aug202021at114633AM.jpg.e9b2a0f775cbafd65ef560fd1193e916.jpg

@Willy iineYes, that’s the right rim, they obviously just got restocked. 

And yes, that looks like the grill (or very similar). Would be keen to know if it’s the same size as the GF01 grill. Is the mesh just part of the decal or actual mesh?

• Thanks 1

Here are the widths.. very different unfortunately.

The mesh is a decal.  It looks pretty realistic though.  

@Willy iine never mind. I might just give painting a go and if it doesn’t turn out as I like I can apply the decals.

I do it a bit now on my shells, that’s not to say it’s right to do it!

I use a selection of revell aqua and Tamiya XF colours and always try to do those colours hand painted only in areas that won’t sustain huge hits from my poor driving, if it’s for a shelfer then no worries at all, and once it’s backed by a few layers of PS something all will be fine imho.

I’m sure there are better paints to use but these are cheap, readily available and low me a big selection of colours for minimal outlay, I would like some better chrome colour than that offered in the above ranges but can’t really justify the extra outlay for Something I don’t use much of.

You can see the back of the TTO1 truck I did by hand, it’s not amazing but from a distance looks fine and it was my first proper attempt at hand painting any kind of detail. I am absolutely no expert but it’s worked for me so far.

Good luck with it

41DED0A7-EE38-4E74-8F30-18020A4B85CD.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nwc100 said:

I would like some better chrome colour than that offered in the above ranges

I am actually quite impressed by one of the silvery colors by Revell Aqua, I think it is 99 Aluminium, and that is it on the outside as the finishing coat of static models. It is even better than the Tamiya X-11 for brush painting.