Sign in to follow this  
Killajb

Mini Grasshopper... Cute or Capable?

Okay, spoiler alert: A typhoon is passing through and non-stop rain in Tokyo prevents me from doing a maiden voyage outdoors yet.  Along with the Mini Grasshopper, I ordered a few hop-up items and being restless, I've installed some of them already.  In my defense, Tamiya already had promotional videos showing things stock out-of-the-box.

Good Stuff:

- Just 4 AA batteries in the car and 4 AA batteries in the controller means you're driving around in minutes. The battery holder in the car comes in two halves, sandwiched with a fine threaded screw.  However,                  it doesn't have to be completely separated to insert batteries.

- Inserting the AA battery holder into the chassis is simple, and wires are routed easily because the chassis top has been opened to allow for plenty of access.  

- Remote and receiver are paired and ready-to-run.  Just switch on the remote, then the car and you're off.  

- The TRE-01receiver/esc is actually programmable!  Reverse and Low-voltage cutoff can be enabled or disabled.   A 30a mini blade fuse is included as well as a spare. 

- The car starts in "normal" mode or, it's slow setting.  Push a button on the back of the remote and you enable "power" mode.  

- Chassis seems to be made of a different type of plastic that is more flexible than the original TamTech Gear series.  The biggest change on the chassis however is up front where the steering servo lives.  

- A Tamiya TSU-03 standard servo is used, with the tabs trimmed off and then sandwiched into place with a top plate. (previously a bespoke steering servo was used on TamTech Gear and they're hard to find now).

- Gear differential does it's job and comes lightly greased.  An adjustable slipper clutch is still there as before in previous TamTech Gear models.  

- Indoors, speed is decent.  With 4 new generic AA Alkaline batteries, it seems just as spry as a stock full-sized Grasshopper with a 380 and a NiMH pack.

Not-So-Good Stuff:

- The stock suspension is just awful.  Maybe.. Tamiya was going for a miniature version of the original Grasshopper, eh?  Just lifting up the rear end and letting it drop bottoms out the suspension and then the chassis bounces and wiggles to a stop.

- Bushings..   The original TamTech Gear came with full bearings.  Thankfully, the gearbox still has bearings.   Front and rear wheels have bushings.   8 1280-sized bearings are needed for the front and rear wheels.

Extra Stuff:

Hop-up parts did wonders for the original TamTech Gear, and the same applies again. 

- Plastic oil dampers work very well and come with a supply of Tamiya Red soft shock oil.  Stock springs work great with the oil dampers. I filled the rear dampers with thicker 450wt oil.    I purchased the extra spring set just-in-case but it isn't needed.

- A bonus when you purchase the cute little yellow mini CVA shocks is that yellow ball connectors are included as well.  I purchased blue aluminum turnbuckles and accented them with the matching yellow ball connectors.  The instruction manual for the adjustable turnbuckles comes with measurements for front, rear and steering links.  

- Popping on the shocks takes minutes.  Because the ball connectors came as extras, I could assemble with the blue turnbuckles, then just swap out the old ones and keep as spares.

I look forward to driving around under stock motor/esc/AA batteries to see how things go.  I already have a little brushless set to swap next and an appropriate-sized 2s Lipo.  More to follow..

MiniGrasshopper1.jpg

MiniGrasshopperTopless.jpg

MiniGAndF.jpg

MiniGAndFUnder.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for your review. What is your opinion: is the new one on par with the old one? I still like and drive my GB chassis cars without issues. The plastics are holding up nicely so I wonder why Tamiya changed materials. 

Always liked these, they look sooo good compared to the stupid looking comical new ones imo. 👍

James.

@Willy iine Price is similar to a Comical Hotshot kit.  

@No Slack  I think this new chassis is on par with the old TamTech Gear.  The bigger steering servo makes a difference in both turning and f/r weight balance. I think Tamiya changed materials due to cost and perhaps the new enlarged front area to encompass the steering servo.

@Killajb I’ve not really been aware of these until a few days ago so great to read your impressions and so good to see hop ups available.

I’m. Tempted. Must. Resist… ;)

25 minutes ago, Killajb said:

@Willy iine Price is similar to a Comical Hotshot kit.  

Thanks.  At near $200 that is quite pricy..  but I suppose if you're a GrassHopper fan.. B)  Enjoy your new car.

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks.  At near $200 that is quite pricy..  but I suppose if you're a GrassHopper fan.. B)  Enjoy your new car.

That comes RTR I believe, whereas a comical will still require the electronics? 

https://tamiyablog.com/2021/07/full-details-of-tamiya-56714-tamtech-gear-the-grasshopper-mini-gb-01s-chassis-official-international-new-release-list-for-september-2021/

19 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Yes, but I was.comparing RTR's sold on Amazon for like $100 that have the same capability, if not more, but not Tamiya, not GrassHopper so not as cool.

I was just comparing as if I was not a Tamiya fan or knew anything about RC (like a Christmas shopper looking for presents for their grand kids).

5 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Yes, but I was.comparing RTR's sold on Amazon for like $100 that have the same capability, if not more, but not Tamiya, not GrassHopper so not as cool.

I was just comparing as if I was not a Tamiya fan or knew anything about RC (like a Christmas shopper looking for presents for their grand kids).

Ah.... But you have to pay a premium for the twin stars. Surely you know it by now... 😁

Price is not cheap, however here in Japan the price is lower than it would be otherwise with export fees and such.  That said, yes..  when comparing this out-of-the-box to a WL Toys or the likes in RTR state, it seems to be a lot less.  

However, value is there.  For one, discontinued TamTech Gear goes for more than double what this RTR cost.  Being Tamiya, the resale value will continue with these as well.  In addition, the main reason why I got this was because hop up options are very cheap and result in a car that possibly outperforms similar offerings from other brands. 

The Surpass Hobby Brushless motor/esc combo I'm going to use cost $30 shipped.  A 2s 1000 mah Lipo was $7.50.  Oil Dampers were $15.   <<<<Just those items alone are all one really needs to have a very capable little 2wd car than handles well at 35mph.  

1 hour ago, Killajb said:

Price is not cheap, however here in Japan the price is lower than it would be otherwise with export fees and such.  

Yes, I got to head out to the Far East again once this covid thing has cleared up. Back when I used to do my model shops in HK, I can spend over £1k in 30 minutes, yet the price difference between UK and HK is enough for me to pay for the flight. 

Driving summary (stock)Disappointing

Finally had a go outside today.  Still using the stock electronics and 4 AA batteries, and this thing is abysmally slow.  I thought it would be similar to a 1/10 Grasshopper with a 380 motor, but it's really about half that speed.  The friction dampers with weak (rear) springs and glacial speed put this thing on par with a department store RC purchase at a fraction of the cost.

Sounds harsh, but I'm trying to be as objective as possible.  For the price of this RTR, admittedly one I knew I was going to modify.. I expected more from Tamiya.  Lack of bearings in the wheels is a downer, as you only need 8 of them.  The gearbox includes bearings, so I wonder why Tamiya skimped out on the rest?  

The AA battery box is a quick way to get started, but wow is it slow.  Sure, maybe Tamiya's LiFe pack would wake things up a bit but that shouldn't be a necessary option at the price point.  

The little oil dampers are a cheap and very effective hop-up option, why not just include them (and bearings) at this price point?   Puzzling..

In any case, there is light at the end of this tunnel.  Removing the electronics and replacing with a brushless motor and esc is seamless.  No further modifications needed, the gear differential is stout and handles wheelie take-offs without fuss.  Adding SC tires gives the fronts a bit more bite and helps agility at higher speeds.  I'm very pleased with the end result, just a bit bothered that the RTR product didn't offer more for the price.

MiniGBrushless.jpg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Killajb said:

Finally had a go outside today.  Still using the stock electronics and 4 AA batteries, and this thing is abysmally slow.  I thought it would be similar to a 1/10 Grasshopper with a 380 motor, but it's really about half that speed.  The friction dampers with weak (rear) springs and glacial speed put this thing on par with a department store RC purchase at a fraction of the cost.

Sounds harsh, but I'm trying to be as objective as possible.  For the price of this RTR, admittedly one I knew I was going to modify.. I expected more from Tamiya.  Lack of bearings in the wheels is a downer, as you only need 8 of them.  The gearbox includes bearings, so I wonder why Tamiya skimped out on the rest?  

The AA battery box is a quick way to get started, but wow is it slow.  Sure, maybe Tamiya's LiFe pack would wake things up a bit but that shouldn't be a necessary option at the price point. 

Not too surprising I guess.  Going down from a 380->370 motor, and going down from 7.2v->4.8v, it makes sense.  It looks like the battery case is now partly occupied by the ESC/reciever, so no 7.2V battery?

It looks like this might be Japan only, bummer. I'd love to pick one up for a reasonable price.

5 hours ago, Killajb said:

The AA battery box is a quick way to get started, but wow is it slow.  

Sounds a lot like my SU-01, which also comes with an AA box. I cannot find any ESC that can reliably support 4.8 - 6v so just slapped a 7.4v lipo along with a Sport Tuned in. Now it is too fast that it tears itself apart. 

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

Sounds a lot like my SU-01, which also comes with an AA box. I cannot find any ESC that can reliably support 4.8 - 6v so just slapped a 7.4v lipo along with a Sport Tuned in. Now it is too fast that it tears itself apart. 

Well, the question is: where have you looked? There are ESCs for these voltages available, just not from Tamiya (at least I don't think so) and not cheap. But racing/competition-spec ESCs for 1/12th scale and WGT(-R) classes support 1S LiPos (as well as 3-4 cell NiMH) which are used for these classes. Hobbywing alone makes three of this type, the cheapest should be this one. They also give 6V BEC voltage without need for a separate booster.

5 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

I had a peek at the SU-01 and its the same exact esc.   I just wished Tamiya had lowered the RTR price so that the base kit would be reasonable for overseas markets.  Tamiya even offered a brushless motor and esc for the original TamTech Gear (pricey but still..).  I don't see why Tamiya couldn't re-badge other reliable brushless electronics, anodize them in Tamiya "blingy blue" and sell the RTR 4AA model for $100 and a Fully hopped-up brushless model for $200.  They would profit either way because someone could opt for the budget version for starters and slowly upgrade to the faster one, or just go all-in and enjoy.  

image.jpeg.47b668f2079818f30113428bcfe17877.jpegimage.jpeg.ad01ce9b248498f3f4c13376519cade6.jpeg

3 hours ago, hIghQ said:

Well, the question is: where have you looked? There are ESCs for these voltages available, just not from Tamiya (at least I don't think so) and not cheap. But racing/competition-spec ESCs for 1/12th scale and WGT(-R) classes support 1S LiPos (as well as 3-4 cell NiMH) which are used for these classes. Hobbywing alone makes three of this type, the cheapest should be this one. They also give 6V BEC voltage without need for a separate booster.

Mainly? Here in fact. I had found one, a boat ESC that can fit in that chassis, but it is not recommended due to no brakes. Couldn't get an answer except for the HW1625 so that is what I went for, and that needed 6V minimum, which is why I am now using lipo in it. I originally swapped a TT motor in that car and it ran perfectly well, I just needed that motor for a SW-01 so swapped a ST in and it broke its drive shaft very quickly. So now I am waiting for a replacement TT to arrive from Japan. 

The example you had showed me is for BL, which will not work with the TT or ST. 

2 minutes ago, Killajb said:

I had a peek at the SU-01 and its the same exact esc.   I just wished Tamiya had lowered the RTR price so that the base kit would be reasonable for overseas markets.  Tamiya even offered a brushless motor and esc for the original TamTech Gear (pricey but still..).  I don't see why Tamiya couldn't re-badge other reliable brushless electronics, anodize them in Tamiya "blingy blue" and sell the RTR 4AA model for $100 and a Fully hopped-up brushless model for $200.  They would profit either way because someone could opt for the budget version for starters and slowly upgrade to the faster one, or just go all-in and enjoy.  

image.jpeg.47b668f2079818f30113428bcfe17877.jpegimage.jpeg.ad01ce9b248498f3f4c13376519cade6.jpeg

I am sorry, my SU-01 is a kit, not RTR and it does not comes with any electronics and I am not using BL. 

Ah, I stand corrected!  I've only seen the SU-01 offered as an RTR here in Japan and assumed that was the version you were using.  Agreed..  sub 6v hobby grade esc's for cars are not common. 

What's the grasshopper like stock compared to the Fox Mini in the picture? I nearly picked up one of those Fox Minis many years ago as I saw it in a small town shop that was part of a mechanics workshop. Since I missed that boat, I thought I might look into one of these grasshoppers...

5 hours ago, Killajb said:

Ah, I stand corrected!  I've only seen the SU-01 offered as an RTR here in Japan and assumed that was the version you were using.  Agreed..  sub 6v hobby grade esc's for cars are not common. 

I got mine from Japan, Plaza Japan to be precise. 😁 They are the only one that sells it at a sensible price. 

https://www.plazajapan.com/4950344574025/

On 10/1/2021 at 2:57 PM, Killajb said:

Just lifting up the rear end and letting it drop bottoms out the suspension and then the chassis bounces and wiggles to a stop.

That's already an improvement on the original, though 🤣

At least the suspension moves and doesn't lock up under throttle.