burakol

Does the capacity matter at all when storing LiPo?

I've been using Lipo for more than a year now and I make sure I have them at storage charge when not in use. Anyhow, I have this 5in1 battery checker that supposedly checks for voltage per cell, capacity in percentage, etc. When I do my battery checks for maintenance, I do notice that the battery checker is consistently reading the voltage at 3.8v, but the capacity ranges from 38-50%. I know the recommended storage voltage should be between 3.6-3.8v, but does the capacity left in the battery matter? Also, I am not sure how accurate this battery checker is in terms of measuring actual left capacity since that is difficult to calculate... 

Just go by voltage. Capacity cannot really be measured in an easy way by some gimmick.

• Like 1

The battery checker is only estimating capacity based on voltage anyway. That's why 3.8-ish is the voltage that has been settled on for storage - it's roughly half capacity

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Lithium batteries should be stored at around 50% charge, which is about 3.8v. 

https://batteryguy.com/kb/knowledge-base/how-to-store-lithium-based-batteries/

That's the question, how do we know that the battery is at 50% capacity? Is it safe to assume that as long as the battery is at 3.8v/cell then it is at 50%? I ask because I don't think this battery checker is accurate. 

30 minutes ago, burakol said:

That's the question, how do we know that the battery is at 50% capacity? Is it safe to assume that as long as the battery is at 3.8v/cell then it is at 50%? I ask because I don't think this battery checker is accurate. 

That's what people who knows more about lipos than me say, I suppose as hobbiests we just go with it? 

I don't think anyone here have a truly accurate voltmeter, unless that person is an electrician with equipment that are calibrated and certified yearly. The only way if you want to be sure is to get a different one to check the readings of the first one, and if they disagree get a third one. That's how equipment in planes work, in threesome. 

The voltage readings for me is always spot on at 3.8v/cell. Its the capacity left that is spotty. So long as the consensus is about relying on the voltage reading, then I say id feel ok 

I only go by voltage.   I have 2S that has been in storage since 2016 with 3.8-3.85v.  And some are the small 1:18 Nanotechs.  No issue.   

I check every 3 months.  

12 hours ago, burakol said:

I just use my lipo charger. Set it to storage mode for lipo and it does the rest for me, whether that be charge it or discharge it to the required level. 👍 Usually it puts it down to 3.8v and then matches each cell the same.

James.

• Like 1

Short answer, I'd say No.

I believe storage charge helps lipos in 3 ways.

Storing at a higher voltage causes premature 'Puffing' (especially fully charged!)

Lipos loose voltage over time, so storing at close to 3v per cell, they could drop under ,and damage the cells.

Helps keep the cells balanced.  Plus, if when you put them on to balance charge, one is at 3.75 and the other at 3.8, you know there's a weaker cell, and keep an eye on it.

On 10/4/2021 at 11:28 PM, Willy iine said:

I only go by voltage.   I have 2S that has been in storage since 2016 with 3.8-3.85v.  And some are the small 1:18 Nanotechs.  No issue.   

I check every 3 months.  

When you say check, what exactly do you do re-storage charge them? 

17 minutes ago, Mad Zero said:

When you say check, what exactly do you do re-storage charge them? 

I take my low voltage alarm/meter to check the storage voltage every 3 months and if they are lower than ideal, I will charge them for a few min to get the voltage higher to be between 3.80v to 3.85v.  

I will say that the voltage hardly drops though unless there is something wrong with the cells.  Last time I charged some of my  packs is over 4 years ago. 

1 minute ago, Willy iine said:

I take my low voltage alarm/meter to check the storage voltage every 3 months and if they are lower than ideal, I will charge them for a few min to get the voltage higher to be between 3.80v to 3.85v.  

I see, thanks. I’m about to spend mucho wonga replacing batteries I didn’t care about & it’s not happening again!