Zealot

Tamiya 47443 Porsche 911 GT1 Street hop-ups

Just pulled the trigger on this sexy beast...

spacer.png

Never built a TA-03 and would be only my second ever belt driven vehicle, so can you guys tell me, what are the must have hop-ups for this kit? I know, I know, they're ALL must have, but say you were going to spend, I don't know, 50-75% of the initial kit price on hop-ups, what would you get? Thanks all!

• Like 3

To be honest there isnt a great deal readily available for the TA03 apart from old stock or used parts that often goes for big money. You wont get many Tamiya original hop-ups for 50 - 75% of the kit price seeing as its pretty reasonably priced kit to start with.

Aside from the obvious ones; ie ball bearings and a steel pinion its pretty sorted out of the box as it already has the cva oil dampers. If you wanted to, the period correct hop up for replacing these were the Super Low Friction alloy dampers and theres a used set on ebay at the moment, same with a used stabilizer bar set. But just these two alone would be 70% of the kit price.

Id also get some aluminium wheel clamp hexes too.

• Like 2

Hi, I'd realistically (all obtainable parts these are) invest additionally to the bearings in the tuned spring set, just because it looks good, aluminium 5mm ballends, because they fit better and are lighter. , carbon chassis strut for the looks, ball diff for the rear for the power on handling, good tyres, a 2nd body (one shelf one race), a 2nd set of rims, proper servo, a 2nd Alu motor mount like the one included but to put on the inside touching the motor. A bigger 24-25t pinion (steel) depending on the motor (possibly mild brushless 2500-3500kv)...if brushed, a fan for the motor for longer lifetime. Possibly universals for the front (the ones from cc01 fit), maybe Alu lock nuts for the wheels, possibly spacer set to set the wheel stance perfect. Stock dampers are great set up properly. Roll bars not really needed or you can bend them yourself out of spring steel if you have a template (if not ask me, I'll scan a roll bar). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Not trying to wee on your bonfire. I have that kit too and its lovely :wub:

No, no, all good friend. Guess I just assumed Tamiya would support their product! How silly of me! :lol:

• Haha 1

I had been doing research on this car and chassis as well and there seem to be not much hop ups for it. I have yet to cross check with the hop up list yet but it may not even be listed. As others had said, bearings and pinion is all I am probably able to go for. 

2 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

No idea but it looks cool.

Buy it.

A man after my own heart!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Zealot said:

No, no, all good friend. Guess I just assumed Tamiya would support their product! How silly of me! :lol:

To be fair, TA-03 is a bit past its prime as a product for them. ;) Mind, I had the TRF version of that chassis 20 years ago!

6 minutes ago, hIghQ said:

To be fair, TA-03 is a bit past its prime as a product for them. ;) Mind, I had the TRF version of that chassis 20 years ago!

Yeah, I know but if they're going release new/re-re products on a platform, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect at least a few bits and pieces.

Zealot, yes, buy it :) it can redirect more power to the one or other axle. My tip, smaller pinion to the rear. Gives about 55/45 power transfer to the rear. The included one way makes turn in sharper, downside is rear wheel braking only. You have to see if you can handle that. Was great for tight circuits back in the day... 

• Like 1

Being honest TA03 hop ups go for crazy money these days and some are just not worth it. Having used to race TA03 chassis cars many years ago, I would just go with the obvious that will make the car just run better. Full bearings and a steel pinion, iirc it comes with a tiny 14t alloy pinion as standard and it's top speed is hopeless. The 540 motor can handle a 22T pinion and give a large increase in speed without being too much for it.

Worth noting not to make the belt too tight, as this will pre maturely wear it out. It should have a little bit of slack in it. Other than that they are still great runners. 👍 If you want a set of universal drive shafts up front which is another good upgrade, eBay have ones for the CC01 that fit iirc and they are only around £10-£15 GBP.

James.

• Like 1

Hey James, with you having raced them bitd, just as a side quest on this topic: how do you judge the tamiya alu c hubs, rear uprights and steering arms? I mean, there's a lot of play in it unfortunately both with the plastic and the alu parts. Also I don't think the alu parts are lighter. Still a lot of racers ran them and they were included in the trf specs. I was rather young when I raced ta03 so I didn't really work out which hop ups are just bling and which are useful. What do you think on these Alu parts? Cheers 

God it's going back a bit tbh, late 90's 😂. Iirc I only ran the alloy C hubs and lightweight king pins (the stock king pins are a bit pants after they have been in and out a few times) I did run the alloy steering but I shaved off the small bits that act as lock stops to give a bit more steering along with the carbon steering bridge. The stabilizers were another good hop up along with the alloy motor heatsink (both of which are just ridiculous how much they cost these days, even for tatty 2nd hand parts) 

James.

Thanks for the info everyone.

On the topic of stabilisers, if one were to make them, would Roslau brand piano wire be a suitable material? How thick are the genuine ones and do they differ front to rear?

If anyone has pictures of how they mount, showing the necessary additional hardware, that would be appreciated.

Alright, I just asked  about you judgment because I'm in the process of building yet another one and I'm a bit torn on whether to spend on the c hubs for this one or just run plastic... I always think of it in terms of weight balance... Thus my thinking is the ta03f should not get more weight(Alu) in the front and the ta03rs can definitely get a bit more weight on the front axle... But I've never really tested them against each other... Should do one day.... I have the titanium suspension shafts on 2 of my 4 ta03s just because they're not much more expensive than the steel ones...another one has steel and the last one has the kit screws... Oh and then there's the bog standard one for the kid :) so 5 ta03s.. But all the time I wonder which would really be the fastest set up hop up wise... I think most of it is nonsense and a lot matters how you build it up. How careful you e. G. Polish the suspension shaft screws and build the dampers, the bearings etc. Etc.. 

Hi zealot, I don't know about that brand, but I think the original roll bars were 1.2-1.5mm thick, depending on the hardness (red =soft, yellow=medium, blue =hard). Front and rear are identical. Actually they cost a bit grip, so mount them when you have too much grip on one axle. In the original ta03f pro kits they were silver and medium anyway, in the trf kits you can see that they kind of adjusted balance with those. The ta03rs trf which you can orientate on most likely had red in the front and blue in the back as the standard setup. Probably because the weight bias of the ta03rs is 60/40 rear so you can go a bit softer on the front. 

Otherwise if you don't have too much grip but just want to have them, I'd go with 1.2mm diameter. Probably it's important that it is spring steel. They are basically just a u shape with angles and held only by 2 3x10 screws with the normal tamiya washers. There is a carbon stabilizer plate instead of the washers but I think it's nonsense. 

IMG_20211004_143448.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd go along with the bearings and if possible the motor heatsink(if your going to run a rapid motor. 

One of the best hop ups for the ta03r has to be the urethane bumper, but the chances of that being rereleased are quite slim 😐

I slightly over hopped my 03 R but had a head start as I bought a trf R to start with. 

• Like 1

I have a ta03r bumper left, 53304.And it's available on ebay etc. too sometimes. In case you wonder, it's just got a plane front face so you can stick pu foam (which is included as well) to it.... 

Agree with @svenb and others re the expense / time hopping up an entry TA03

Its possibly not what you want to hear ? but if you’re serious you’d save a fortune finding a well cared for TRF car (R or RS) for donor parts ? 

The TRF RS would give you something v special and cost prob 15% of buying NIP hop ups separately 👍

It’s also v pretty as (multi coloured) Tamiya bling 😎

• Like 2

Thanks again to all for the advice.

So far I've ordered...

53299 - TA03R Torque Control Unit

53315 - TA03R-S Carbon reinforcing Plate

53267 - TA03 Ball Differential

Parts yet to order...

Stabilisers

53155 - Low Friction  Aluminium Dampers

I figure this will all come to about that 75% of initial kit outlay.

Probably all highly unnecessary but I just can't help myself when it comes to hop-ups. :D

14 hours ago, hIghQ said:

I don't care, I am buying it simply because it is belt drive (different from my shaft drive 4WD) and it is very affordable. 

(you can probably tell I am a basher not a racer) 

7 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

I don't care, I am buying it simply because it is belt drive (different from my shaft drive 4WD) and it is very affordable. 

(you can probably tell I am a basher not a racer) 

My remark was aimed at the complaint of Tamiya not providing heaps of hop ups for this car anymore. If you are happy with the car, great!

1 hour ago, hIghQ said:

My remark was aimed at the complaint of Tamiya not providing heaps of hop ups for this car anymore. If you are happy with the car, great!

That I agree, I cannot find anything for it although Tamiya sometimes label one item for a chassis but is actually also suitable for another. I have not cross checked yet.

BTW, my original comment is more of a light hearted one, don't read wrongly into it.