Mad Ax

Non-RC uses for RC tools and parts

I'll start, using my Schumacher body post reamer to increase the hole size so I can filter out the little graggly bits from the bottom half of my boxes of Tesco Fruit and Fibre.  (Seriously, I swear the warehouse staff play rugby* with the boxes sometimes)

sm_PA020001.jpg

*for those of you across the pond, this is like football but without the helmets and armour.  It's a rough game.  You should see the shape of the ball when they've finished with it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

I like the idea of your sieve. You could get several of them each with different sized reamed holes so you could grade your portions into different sizes depending on how much time you have allocated to eat it.

In a similar manner I used a body reamer to make a TRF shock holder tool. 

spacer.png

To the untrained eye they are completely identical to the Tamiya alloy version except mine has less nutritional value. I'm taking orders too if anyone wants one.....i do them in different TRF anodised colours (ie chicken and mushroom green, beef and tomato red, bombay badboy gold etc)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Arent the small pieces just fruit and fibre but smaller?

Im a crunchy nut guy.

well you'd think that, wouldn't you?  they have the same nutritional value, as least.  But I find the small pieces end up on the back of my throat and make me cough.  The flakes are supposed to be big.

It's surprising how few small pieces there actually are once properly filtered, and how big an impact they can have on my enjoyment of my breakfast.

I'm fond of Crunchy Nut, but I eat Fruit and Fibre because it is literally the only healthy thing I eat in my whole entire diet (which otherwise consists of milk chocolate, spicy crisps, pizzas, and things with bacon in).

• Like 1

I had a TB-01 in a box under my desk at work for so long we named it 'Footrest'.

Does that count?

• Haha 1

I used TRF rubber o-rings in my son's Nutri Bullit blender. Mechachanic Ed from Wheeler Dealers would say: job done, succes!

• Like 1

Used a Hex pin to fix an HP laser jet 5500 printer.

I was surprised how much commonality there was! Some of the gears fit into shafts using the exact same pin system. I've used my hoard of bearings to fix printers at work too and to service my Vax vacuum cleaner.

I'm sure there are others but I'll have to have a think about it.

• Like 1

I used my soldering iron (which I bought specifically for RC) to "finish the job" on one of my solar-powered lawn lights. It was DOA, so I cracked it open and found a loose wire that wasn't connected to the pcb. As for using RC-specific things like parts, springs, o-rings etc., I haven't yet had the opportunity, but I probably could at some point if the darn maintenance team at my residential compound wasn't so efficient. They keep FIXING everything before I get the chance to try!

• Haha 1

As static modeller, there are many household products we use for model making as slap the twin stars on, the price goes through the roof. So many examples so little time, so how about just this one. Floor polish for making clear parts more clear. 

And no, I don't really use my model tools for household/DIY purposes, they are too expensive, too precise and too delicate for that. 

• Like 1

The large end of the standard tamiya hex wrench is perfect for removing the airbag on a mk1 focus

• Like 1

Tamiya’s PT01 electric screw driver is a branded Makita DF012DSE 

Buy their EU / US bit set + the wife sees you using a (hidden expense) all the time … 😇

• Like 1

i have used the plastic bearings that come in the kits to pack out the back of a couple of plug sockets to make them flush with the others in the same line

and i do tend to use the tamiya num 1 and 2 screwdrivers when i take any hi-fi stuff apart esp vintage as they do fit the screws perfectly

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Albert Attaboy said:

Shut up and take my money!

See if you can arrange a group buy. I might be able to knock off a tenner each if you can get over fifty takers. Paypals fine.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

well you'd think that, wouldn't you?  they have the same nutritional value, as least.  But I find the small pieces end up on the back of my throat and make me cough.  The flakes are supposed to be big.

What do you do with all the collected graggly pieces?

The wife does resin jewellery,  and said to me, that putting a mould in a vacuum, pulls the air bubbles out ,and makes for a clearer piece, urm, that'll be the same reason I use one for my RC shocks then......

It now has 2 uses.

2020-06-27_12-40-27

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Superluminal said:

What do you do with all the collected graggly pieces?

honestly, I throw them in the bin.  Now if there were enough they could potentially be used as the base for crunchy biscuits, but it's surprising how little there is.  By the time I've got enough to make one crunchy biscuit the first collected dust would probably be stale and chewy.

The point is moot, however.  I've been planning on making a Fruit & Fibre Sifter for months, but the week I get around to doing it is the week the Great First World Premium Food Shortage of 2021 extended to Tesco's own-brand Fruit & Fibre.

12 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

The wife does resin jewellery,  and said to me, that putting a mould in a vacuum, pulls the air bubbles out ,and makes for a clearer piece, urm, that'll be the same reason I use one for my RC shocks then......

Ooh, now there's a thought - my wife makes resin stuff too and uses a blowtorch to get the bubbles out.  I'm not sure if we could get a cost-effective vacuum big enough for her moulds, but I've been meaning to get one for shocks for ages.

I tried the "heat" method to drive some bubbles out of some shocks the other week - I put the halogen lamps right up close to the shock bodies to see if the bubbles would expand and rise.  But it was a cold day and there must have been microscopic water droplets condensed on the inside of the aluminium body before I filled it, because after 5 minutes under the heat there were more bubbles in there than I started with, tiny little ones that wouldn't come off the bore even after running the piston up and down...  Perhaps it we're doing the shock job properly we should heat our cylinders before filling them to get any condensation out..?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Ooh, now there's a thought - my wife makes resin stuff too and uses a blowtorch to get the bubbles out. 

Bit of trial and error though.

She needed to add less hardener, as the bubbles where setting ,although some had the 'Aero ' look ,you couldn't get 2 exactly the same, for it to be a thing.

** thinking on, I've been collected parts (for ages.....) to build a Vac former, which is just a vacuum chamber with a mould and softened lexan added, if I can make it, duel purpose, it may get the required extra funding....🤔

• Like 1

20 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

As static modeller, there are many household products we use for model making as slap the twin stars on, the price goes through the roof. So many examples so little time, so how about just this one. Floor polish for making clear parts more clear. 

And no, I don't really use my model tools for household/DIY purposes, they are too expensive, too precise and too delicate for that. 

I use this stuff as a gloss coat for airbrushing too AND mixed 50/50 with water makes a good thinner/leveller.

The stuff is magic.

• Like 1