Sign in to follow this  
M 800STD

TA54753 - TAMIYA TT-02 CVA SUPER MINI SET

Hi all.

Can someone tell me the total length, not eye to eye, of these shocks please?

(with the shorter lower damper mounting part)

Thanks.

The eyelets each add 2.5mm to the total length as opposed to eye-to-eye length, so for 50mm shocks such as these, total length including eyelets would be 55mm.

So these are the same length as the stock TA02 dampers.

Was hoping they were going to be shorter.

Does Tamiya do shorter dampers?

Aren't the super mini cvas 55mm eye to eye so 60mm overall length? 

You can shorten them by inserting the internal spacers from the piston sprues. 

The only dampers shorter are alloy. M chassis 54000 are 50mm eye to eye, and super short big bore dampers are 45mm.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your input.

Will look into the other dampers suggestion, trying to avoid the internal spacer route.

14 hours ago, M 800STD said:

So these are the same length as the stock TA02 dampers.

Was hoping they were going to be shorter.

Does Tamiya do shorter dampers?

I am pretty sure that they are shorter. Aren't standard TA-02 dampers mini CVAs?

• Like 1

From what I can see, seems so.

Returning to an old project.  I think I can make them work.

10 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I am pretty sure that they are shorter. Aren't standard TA-02 dampers mini CVAs?

They can be built shorter for M chassis, but they are native 55mm without spacers. Mini CVA can be built down to 55mm with loads of spacers giving only 7mm stroke. Super mini cva are shorter body and rod so max length is 55mm with short eyelet, but you can put the large spacer in to get 49mm which works on m chassis

I never did exact measurement, but I have the following interchangabiity experiences which I'm 100% sure.

For shock length (ignore the lower eyelets because TA02 uses short while TA03 uses long),

TA02 = TA03F = Rear of TA03R (including shock body and the SILVER piston rod)

For TA03R, everyone knows the front shocks are shorter, together with the lower damper mount to clear bodies like NSX and CLK-GTR. It is at that time (year 1997, look at the stamp on that Q-part tree if you don't believe it) that Tamiya designed "SUPER-Mini CVA" which is the shorter version for that specific purpose. The front of TA03R is shorter than its rear end by around 5-6mm.

Front of TA03R (i.e. SUPER-Mini CVA) = TT01 and TT02 (including stock body and the BLACK piston rod) which are commonly used these days

Conclusion: TT02 stock set is shorter than TA02's standard shock by around 5-6 mm. Again, I mean shock body plus piston rod regardless of what eyelet is used. Trust me, I can bet everything on its validity. I've owned, compare and re-built so many Tamiyas across these years.

On 10/6/2021 at 7:30 PM, ThunderDragonCy said:

Aren't the super mini cvas 55mm eye to eye so 60mm overall length? 

You can shorten them by inserting the internal spacers from the piston sprues. 

The only dampers shorter are alloy. M chassis 54000 are 50mm eye to eye, and super short big bore dampers are 45mm.

2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

They can be built shorter for M chassis, but they are native 55mm without spacers. Mini CVA can be built down to 55mm with loads of spacers giving only 7mm stroke. Super mini cva are shorter body and rod so max length is 55mm with short eyelet, but you can put the large spacer in to get 49mm which works on m chassis

I believe you are correct. Recently built three sets of these for m-chassis, and they were 55mm eye to eye with the short eyelet, so I used the longer internal spacer on one car (to get the 49ish-mm and the shorter on two to get just over 50mm. (I was measuring piston length/travel, not total length). 👍

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the info.

So in short, what shocks/part number would I need to get to achieve 50mm eye to eye?

45 minutes ago, M 800STD said:

Thanks guys for the info.

So in short, what shocks/part number would I need to get to achieve 50mm eye to eye?

Just buy the ones above, build with the short bottom eyelet and the short internal spacer on the same parts tree 👍

No sorry I meant the TT02 #54753 dampers.

#54000 as above will build as 50mm out the box

I'm looking to build a MF-01X trail truck using these Super Mini CVAs. What are the softest springs available for them?  Any info is greatly appreciated :)

The springs that come with the set are quite stiff. I ended up using the springs from the kit friction shocks, which are a tad softer but still too stiff. It would have to be something significantly softer.

6.JPG

57 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@OoALEJOoO Probably 53163 road rally spring set. They're about half the stiffness of the usual onroad springs. I use them on my rally car

Yep, these ones. I bought them for a rally TT-02 and they are indeed the softest ones Tamiya makes for these CVA. Well, as far as I know 😅

• Thanks 1

@ThunderDragonCy and @Pylon80 thanks for the input :) These should do the trick.

Edit: The 3 pairs contained are labeled soft, medium and stiff. Are all 3 on the softer side or indeed only one pair is soft? Trying to decide whether I can get away with only buying 1 set. Thanks!

2 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

@ThunderDragonCy and @Pylon80 thanks for the input :) These should do the trick.

Edit: The 3 pairs contained are labeled soft, medium and stiff. Are all 3 on the softer side or indeed only one pair is soft? Trying to decide whether I can get away with only buying 1 set. Thanks!

All three are softer than the softest hard springs from the 53440 set. I have both.

• Thanks 1

53163 springs arrived and while the red spring is indeed softer than the springs that came with the super mini CVA, it is exactly the same stiffness as the standard kit springs (friction dampers) which I already had :(

The good thing is that they are a bit longer than the super mini CVA springs and could be used on other projects. Same length as the friction damper spring actually. Makes me think it is really the same spring but painted red.

For the moment the red spring will add some color to the suspension :)

Back to the drawing board, any other suggestions for very soft springs?