Orville

Tamiya Comical Bodies...

Hi all,

I'm just getting a feel for potential interest/opinions??

I'm intrigued by the the new range of Tamiya's comical range. the current range includes the Grasshopper, Frog, Horner, Avante and most recently the Hotshot.

What Tamiya 1/10 classis bodies do you feel would warrant the "Comical" treatment?
Any suggestion would be appreciated....

Just to start the discussion, we could consider these:

SandScorcher
Blazing Blazer
Toyota Hilux
Sand Rover/ holiday Buggy
XR311
Porsche 959

Bigwig
Falcon
Egress
Astute
Grasshopper 2
...to name a few...

Cheers,

Jason

• Like 1

Monster Beetle.  Fat round and squat would make Japanese kids smile...

We already have the GF01TR, but its a normal beetle body.  We need the "comical" exaggeration... 

Terry

5 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Look at @JennyMo and  @Willy iine for Comical Scorchers. Both have produced bodies that are as good as any Tamiya creations.

That’s what made me think of the MB.

Yeah, most definitely I want a Comical Sand Scorcher.  If they release in a polycarbonate shell, I’d paint it in a race car scheme, not my Billy’s Beetle signature theme.  

Which reminds me, I’ve not bought the Comical HS yet

• Like 1

Comical sand scorcher was my first thought like everyone else, but I’m also intrigued by your suggestion of a 959, which of course is essentially from the same mould as a beetle, but seldom seems as naturally amusing due to it’s more hi-tech heritage. But I can picture it! Copped up like @Willy iine’s scorcher, and perhaps released alongside the legendary original Tamiya 959? 

Screw it, let’s go for a Celica / 959 comical combo. Amazing!

If a comical Sand Scorcher was ever released, that would jump straight to the top of my wishlist!

Ha - funny you mention those on the list, I've had an idea for a shorty Holiday Buggy for a good while now, and similarly, a HiLux ought to be reasonably easy to achieve too.

Maybe I need to buy another WR-02 chassis...

Jenny x

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JennyMo said:

Ha - funny you mention those on the list, I've had an idea for a shorty Holiday Buggy for a good while now, and similarly, a HiLux ought to be reasonably easy to achieve too.

Maybe I need to buy another WR-02 chassis...

Jenny x

Subscribed..  :lol:  

Unfortunately for me, I am out of display space. 

Comical TD or Manta maybe? It would be interesting to see the shortened body design though a TD body would make more sense. The comical are dangerous enough as it is. The hornet doesn't exactly look ridiculous to me, it's the one that somehow pulls off the cool look. The short body reminds me of a cool kart or car you drive when younger until you can handle a full size vehicle.

And no I won't buy the comical hornet despite its design, I got enough kits as is but somehow its the only tempting one of the current lineup...

26 minutes ago, nel33 said:

And no I won't buy the comical hornet despite its design, I got enough kits as is but somehow its the only tempting one of the current lineup...

Oh, you'll own one by xmas.  ;)  

IMG_Apr12021at90022AM.jpg.ee58ee40978d22a98812b6ddc68d9b77.jpg

Then you'll have to have the other 2 for the trio.. GH and Frog..

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

i wont even acknowledge your picture in your post because pictures of that kit are dangerous enough. that is cruel and usual abuse to my brain... 

in reality, i got 2 more kits to build and apparently wont have space to store a 7th kit. though i have made some space to store and display a few more Gu7ndam kits and have another idea to stack some boxes outside of the shelf. i dont know if there will be space left over but i did order a  Bleach (Nelliel Tu) PVC figure on ebay recently. its gonna be the 3rd one i will own.

the other 2 comical bodies are weird by design but that horrible picture just shows how it can pull off the serious looking junior Kart look...

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Sorry, @nel33..  B)

next time i will report your post as abuse  LOL

not many current kits interest me but a comical kit to fit in my collection is always a dangerous. crawler and comical arent in my collection and crawler isnt my thing. i was considering a comical lunchbox but decided for the the proper scale instead as it fit my plans for it better.

@nel33 I can understand why comicals are not for everyone as they are cute and honestly look like a joke..and that is the whole appeal.  

The other thing is with its super short wheelbase and extremely tight turn radius, I can drive these cars on my indoor track no problem.  And with them being off-road cars, I can drive through many obstacles inside the house where it just makes it a super versatile car for everyday enjoyment.   GF01/GF01TR  is perfect for this with its 4WD and casual crawling capabilities with the TR.  

I use to have several serious touring cars for racing and those were nice too, but very limited where I could drive them.. like at the track only or on a tennis court if I was lucky.   More a hassle nowadays for me.. even buggies I can only drive outside because of its size and speed.

21 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@nel33 I can understand why comicals are not for everyone as they are cute and honestly look like a joke..and that is the whole appeal.  

The other thing is with its super short wheelbase and extremely tight turn radius, I can drive these cars on my indoor track no problem.  And with them being off-road cars, I can drive through many obstacles inside the house where it just makes it a super versatile car for everyday enjoyment.   GF01/GF01TR  is perfect for this with its 4WD and casual crawling capabilities with the TR.  

I use to have several serious touring cars for racing and those were nice too, but very limited where I could drive them.. like at the track only or on a tennis court if I was lucky.   More a hassle nowadays for me.. even buggies I can only drive outside because of its size and speed.

i agree they are supposed to look weird and like that idea though one just looks cooler.  they might not be the fastest kits but i digress as the full size kits are faster by design. most of my cars can only be used in a park anyway or the parking lot for tt02.

My 3 comical would be sandscorcher, ford ranger then holiday buggy I'd be happy with them

Bullhead !! 

Always wanted the Bullhead when I was younger. A few years back a friend picked up a 2nd hand box stock one and I asked if I could have a go. Boy was it a disappointment. 😢 No suspension as such, steering was vague and it was slow, ...... Certainly not what I called fun !! 

But a Comical one I could get into, something fun. 👍 

James.

Problemchild,

Great Pics, plus a sweet scheme. Incidentally, I was wondering if you'd taken inspiration from the RC Car Action article ??

https://www.rccaraction.com/good-vibes-custom-tamiya-comical-hornet-jun-watanabe-version/

It's "THE" way to go to make these look even cooler...., just my 2 cents

Thanks a lot to everyone that contributed to my post, much appreciated. This forum provided such a massive wealth of knowledge and experience.

Based on the posts it appears as though I have a list to start working on.

Let the CAD games begin.....

Cheers....

Jason

I know this is a older post, but I really would like Tamiya to add a Comical Super Champ to their assortment. 

• Like 2

I still want a Comical Egress..  :D  Makes sense, right?  They already did the Comical Avante and it looks great.  

Anyway, I'll get one regardless of what it is next and keep it in my collection. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 8:04 PM, Willy iine said:

Subscribed..  :lol:  

Unfortunately for me, I am out of display space. 

Oh look at this flimsy post from last year.  Lame.. lol :lol: