Sign in to follow this  
alvinlwh

Anyway to use these wheels + tyres?

Bought these by mistake. Is there anyway to put them to use? Some kind of adaptor perhaps?

spacer.png

Are they bearing fitment? Could you use them as 2WD fronts on something?

Those are 1/12th scale (=2WD pan car) foam racing tires, and yes they use bearings. I doubt you will find any use for them outside their intended use, sorry.

10 minutes ago, hIghQ said:

Those are 1/12th scale foam racing tires, and yes they use bearings. I doubt you will find any use for them outside their intended use, sorry.

Thanks. So there are no such thing as an adaptor to fit them to drive pins axles I suppose? 

18 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Thanks. So there are no such thing as an adaptor to fit them to drive pins axles I suppose? 

At least none I'm aware of.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

Couldn't you make one from a plastic plain bearing (bushing) of the same size as the existing bearing recess? You'd just have to cut a slot in it for the pin, then glue it into the wheel so that it doesn't just spin. 

Just now, rich_f said:

Couldn't you make one from a plastic plain bearing (bushing) of the same size as the existing bearing recess? You'd just have to cut a slot in it for the pin, then glue it into the wheel so that it doesn't just spin. 

I did thought about that but am unsure if any glue will hold up to the force generated. Might give it a try sometime though, just hoping there is an off the shelf adaptor that is why I asked here first.

5 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

did thought about that but am unsure if any glue will hold up to the force generated

Well - if you put another bushing on the outside, the wheel nut would clamp the pair of bushings together against the pin onto the wheel, making it less likely to slip. 

4 minutes ago, rich_f said:

Well - if you put another bushing on the outside, the wheel nut would clamp the pair of bushings together against the pin onto the wheel, making it less likely to slip. 

Ah... their intended vehicle, a SU-01 chassis, is not secured by wheel nuts but a rather weak M2.6 machine screw, in a similar way wheels are attached on SW-01s, where if too much force is applied when securing, will strip the plastic axle.

These wheels are actually smaller than M-chassis wheels, I bought them because they are cheap, and as usual, there are no sizing inform on the listing. So there are not many chassis I can sensibly use them on.

I think that cutting a grove into a plastic bushing, then gluing in could work has Rich said.

Although it's glue, it's a relatively large contact area, and roughing up both edges with 100 grit would give good cohesion.

You could always make a longer pin axle pin and also cut a grove into the edge of the wheel itself. That way you've mechanically linked the pin to the wheel, and can take the stress off the glue (or wouldn't need to glue at all).

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

I think that cutting a grove into a plastic bushing, then gluing in could work has Rich said.

Although it's glue, it's a relatively large contact area, and roughing up both edges with 100 grit would give good cohesion.

You could always make a longer pin axle pin and also cut a grove into the edge of the wheel itself. That way you've mechanically linked the pin to the wheel, and can take the stress off the glue (or wouldn't need to glue at all).

Thanks for your suggestion, and also @El Gecko suggestion of using it as a RWD front. I tried messing around with it yesterday and unfortunately it will not work with the intended chassis as the SU-01 does not use drive pins but a locked hex, meaning the 12mm hex locks to the axle. I will experiment some more and maybe make it work with a M-05, but they are somewhat smaller than M wheels with very deep center hole, so the axle may not work either. 

Unfortunately the wireless conversion had came to a burning stop. I got a 18650 holder, soldered it to the ESC, popped the battery in for a test with the RX, yes, it seem to power the RX ok. Soldered in the first pair of wires for the motor, pop the battery in again to test, and the battery cables started smoking and melting immediately. Not sure where the short is, but it does feel rather warm on the ESC so I believe there is the problem. Burnt myself trying to get the battery out and the melted wires are red hot.

Ordered another ESC with different wiring layout and also a new 18650 holder without wires so I can solder my own in. But at this point, I do not believe it was a case of overload as there are no motor connected yet.  

Kyosho in some of their off-road re-releases use a serrated round hub instead of the 12mm hex.  these specifically are probably the wrong size, but serrated hub/nuts might work, depending on the power...

Kyosho_hub.jpg.62c92aaec87bc50bf40b15148a386ebd.jpg

1 hour ago, SlideWRX said:

Kyosho in some of their off-road re-releases use a serrated round hub instead of the 12mm hex.  these specifically are probably the wrong size, but serrated hub/nuts might work, depending on the power...

Kyosho_hub.jpg.62c92aaec87bc50bf40b15148a386ebd.jpg

Thanks for that, will order a set to try. 👍