alvinlwh

Controller options

Wanting to buy a second controller so that I can drive at the same time as my girl. Already got a Carson Reflex Stick Pro 3.1 so looking to buy a pistol type.

What I have shortlisted are:

1. Carson Reflex Wheel Pro 3 - Just rebind with my existing Rx, cheap to buy but additional Rx are expensive at >£20 a pop.

2. Absima CR3P - Cheap to buy and I heard that cheap Flysky Rx can be used. If original Rx, don't seem to have much options (see below)

3. Radiolink RC4GS - Cheap to buy, cheap Rx, wide choice of Rx. Particularly like the R4F Rx which is tiny. Also seem to have very advanced functions for its price, some Rx even comes with gyro.

4. Etronix Pulse EX3Gpro - Most expensive of the lot, surprising as I always thought of Etronix as a budget brand. Quite feature rich with the option to use telemetry plugins but only one Rx it appears.

I am leaning heavily to the Radiolink one for the gyro and tiny R4F but will like to hear about any owner experience with these.

4 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

Lots of people love their FlySky rigs…

I know the CR3P is effectively a rebadged Flysky something, but I am not too sure what RXs it can pair up with, so I had not done much research on that aspect. There are like dozens of Flysky RXs but not all of them goes with every TX. Also, Flysky is surprisingly more expensive that most of what is on my list.

I like the Radiolink one because its RXs are cheap, and some comes with gyro. Also, they have a really tiny RX I really like. I also do use Carson Nano but they are expensive at >£20 a pop, which quickly adds up.

• Like 1

I have the Radiolink RC6GS which is the 6channle version of the RC4GS. I also have the older RC4G (the very first version) and I still use it on my son's Manta Ray. 

So far it has served me well for what I use it for. I am not a racer and just use it for casual bashing. I really like the features, and for the price, you actually get a lot. The only thing that maybe isn't too appealing is the form factor/design. It looks outdated compared to newer radio gear, but it still feels comfortable on my hand. If there's anything I want, it is for it to have a setting specific for crawling like a crab steer. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, bavee said:

Who will be the main user of the pistol type?

Myself. The stick tx will then mainly be for my 5yo girl. I dropped it a few weeks ago and snapped the throttle stick off, which actually turns out  to be better for her short fingers. 

@burakolthanks for the reply. Really good to hear from an actual owner. Do you use the gyro feature of the RX? If yes, is it good? Also, do you use R4F RX? This is the RX I am most interested in, it seems really tiny. 

46 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

@burakolthanks for the reply. Really good to hear from an actual owner. Do you use the gyro feature of the RX? If yes, is it good? Also, do you use R4F RX? This is the RX I am most interested in, it seems really tiny. 

I do have both gyro and non-gryo Rx. You are correct, the R4F is tiny since it is not enclosed in a case (wrapped in plastic). So if you are planning on putting it in something that might get wet, it will not be ideal; unless you want to fabircate your own enclosure. The R4F also does not have gyro. The Rx's that have Gyro for Radiolink is the one with the "G" on their recievers (R7FG, R6FG, R4FG)... 

I have 3 Rx with the gyro feature and honestly, I don't use them at all... Gyro is really useful for Drifting, which I don't have a proper car for... Some aybe uses it for racing, but again, I don't race... 

If you are looking for a pistol tyle radio gear for your kid, you may want to look into  the Turbo Racing 91803G

They sell it all over online shops and I have two of those for my kids. I got mine from a chinese online shop. What I like about it is the size and the ability to adjust EPA and D/R to tame the RC when my kids are using it...

• Thanks 1

@burakolthanks again for your feedback. Most useful. I am most interested in the R4F/G for use in smaller vehicles like SU-01s and SW-01s. The SU-01 was never designed for separate ESC and RX but for Tamiya own TRE-01, and therefore particularly hard to fit electronics in them. I intended for the RadioLink for my own use of my more "serious/wild" cars while the fun cars will stay in the stick. Like you, I only bash but some had suggested that a gyro may help to tame my M-05Ra (although that one could also be due to other problems).

Will be off to order a RC4/6GS on my next payday! 

Thanks again. Very much appreciated. 

20 minutes ago, burakol said:

If you are looking for a pistol tyle radio gear for your kid, you may want to look into  the Turbo Racing 91803G

They sell it all over online shops and I have two of those for my kids. I got mine from a chinese online shop. What I like about it is the size and the ability to adjust EPA and D/R to tame the RC when my kids are using it...

Would be my suggestion too when looking for a transmitter for your kid (Carson Reflex Wheel Start = the same). But knowing now you are looking for a transmitter for yourself I am out of suggestions ;)

14 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

2. Absima CR3P - Cheap to buy and I heard that cheap Flysky Rx can be used. If original Rx, don't seem to have much options (see below)

It is basically a re-brand of Flysky's Fs-It4s model. Google it and you can see it is exactly the same thing, aside from a sightly different plastic shell.

If I remember correctly, Flysky's 2.4G technology is DSSS, which is worse than Radiolink's FHSS. (For DSSS vs FHSS, I'm no science expert but internet information says the latter is more stable. Futaba and Sanwa nowadays also use FHSS.)

My personal experience with Flysky's lower end models is that they are generally a bit less responsive when a lot of cars are running. It's dangerous enough to cause accidents and damage a beautiful bodyshell.

Radiolink doesn't have the same problem.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TamiyAddict362 said:

It is basically a re-brand of Flysky's Fs-It4s model. Google it and you can see it is exactly the same thing, aside from a sightly different plastic shell.

If I remember correctly, Flysky's 2.4G technology is DSSS, which is worse than Radiolink's FHSS. (For DSSS vs FHSS, I'm no science expert but internet information says the latter is more stable. Futaba and Sanwa nowadays also use FHSS.)

My personal experience with Flysky's lower end models is that they are generally a bit less responsive when a lot of cars are running. It's dangerous enough to cause accidents and damage a beautiful bodyshell.

Radiolink doesn't have the same problem.

Thanks for the info. Strangely, most of what I see are owners of one or both seem to rate them highly, even right here is a comment recommending Flysky. 

But as I stated, the main reason is I cannot figure out what TX and RX can pair together, so while Absima can pair with some Flysky RX, it cannot pair with all. 

And selection of RX is an important factor for me as I explained earlier, I build some smaller scales/tighter chassis which makes selection of electronics somewhat difficult. Even a Carson 6Ch RX does not sit well in a recently completed Thunder Dragon. Which is why I am leaning heavily towards RadioLink. 

Also, surprisingly, Flysky has a somewhat higher price these days despite their origins. I guess that is the cost of popularity. 

Thanks for your vote of confidence in my leading choice, it makes me feel safer as proper reviews on Radiolink is not easy to come by. However I am impressed by their professionally put together website. The same cannot be said for most other minor brand China product. 

Thanks again. 

As Bavee mentioned, I would recommend the Carson Reflex Start Wheel for your little girl. It is tiny compared to a normal pistol grip, perfect for little hands.

f7UTR6M.jpeg

tGQXtnk.jpeg

Then get yourself a new pistol grip too!;) I was very sceptical about pistol grips upon returning to the RC told recently, but plumped for one anyway over the old sticks I used decades ago and within a few outings I am already totally in tune with it. I only went for a basic Etronix, but it seems very good in my limited experience.

2 hours ago, Kol__ said:

As Bavee mentioned, I would recommend the Carson Reflex Start Wheel for your little girl. It is tiny compared to a normal pistol grip, perfect for little hands.

I will, when she gets to grips with steering first. At the moment, she has to stop, turn the wheels, then move again. And she has to do it next to the car, to actually see the wheels turned. 

I’ve got a hacked Flysky GT3C. It’ll likely be the same as the Absima. The 3ch receivers are nice and small which I’d bet suites your smaller cars. I’ve got a few 6ch and an 8ch receiver which are handy for my 4ws monster trucks with lights.

It’s definitely a good price vs feature set and not bad even when it’s not hacked and the Rx are super cheap(£6). It’s got 10 model memory before being hacked and something like 64 afterwards.

13 hours ago, ad456 said:

The 3ch receivers are nice and small which I’d bet suites your smaller cars. 

What, precisely, are these 3ch RX? There are so many Flysky stuff with many pairing combinations it dare not take the dive without someone confirming what will work with what. So if you can let me know which ones are these, I can look into them. 

It’s the FS-GRE3 receiver, a random eBay listing tells me it’s 37.6 x 22.3 x 13mm. I can double check the size tomorrow. 

just checked now and yeah that’s right enough. 

Edited by ad456
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ad456 said:

It’s the FS-GRE3 receiver, a random eBay listing tells me it’s 37.6 x 22.3 x 13mm. I can double check the size tomorrow. 

Thanks for that. In London now, will only get home later next week, will check how it compares against the Carson Nano and RadioLink one. 

Cool, if you want to see the Tx or Rx give me a shout when yer back. 

On 10/9/2021 at 9:55 PM, ad456 said:

Just received that receiver from Amazon and it pared perfectly with my new CR3P. Thanks for the tip. 👍 It is going into my Thunder Dragon right now. 

• Like 1