Frog Jumper

LiFe receiver battery question

Why can't I use a LiFe receiver battery to power my car???

Sure, lower volts and run-time, but what's to prevent me from using one for short test drives in the street???

Terry

Nothing wrong with using LiFe batteries aside from the slightly lower voltage (less RPM/speed). TX batteries however are usually meant for much lower amperages than the bigger car batteries.

Just now, hIghQ said:

Nothing wrong with using LiFe batteries aside from the slightly lower voltage (less RPM/speed). TX batteries however are usually meant for much lower amperages than the bigger car batteries.

So lower amps???  How would that affect running???

I’ve wondered this too. I’ve seen LiFe batteries advertised as that match Tamiya’s racing packs but they are labelled a receiver batteries. Don’t get it. Surely a battery is a battery is a battery… given the same voltage, amp and discharge rate .

I had my first LiPo puff last week. So I’m looking for a replacement that will tolerate my battery laziness…

Not all cells are created equal. Some are higher, some are lower quality. Lower quality ones often get used by manufacturers for less intense usage scenarios, like TX or RX  batteries, while the better cells get used to power the whole car (e.g. they can withstand much higher amperages). Drawing more amps than the battery can safely discharge can eventually damage the batteries.