Tbird232ci

Garpot 2s LiPo

I was browsing Facebook, and someone had posted about LiPos that fit vintage cars properly. The poster didn't add any information other than a picture of the battery. I used a little bit of my Google-Fu and found the batteries on Amazon. They were 35usd for the pair.

51558669921_7473f44d4e_c.jpg

They are of surprisingly nice quality with 12g wire and Deans connectors.

51559361219_09404754b2_c.jpg

51558903433_2ba828b8ab_c.jpg

They fit beautifully in chassis that use a stick pack. The holders are a little tight around the wire as it is much thicker than most NiCad and NiMh batteries from the era.

Hopefully this helps someone looking for batteries that don't require modifications to the chassis.

• Like 1

Yup... a handful of TC members are using it... the battery has been discussed here in the forums as well. Sometimes Amazon will not have it in stock so some orders it from AliEx. 

I myself own four of those and has been taking a nice balanced charge each time. 

FWIW I've been using Giant Power hardcase lipos with round edges in my older vehicles for years and have no complaints, many years in and they still balance fine.

• Like 1

Good thread here guys👍

I'm looking at stepping into Lipos, but they absolutely need to be the same shape as the standard Nimh's to fit into a variety of vintage Tamiya.

The Gartpot's mentioned here are not available on Amazon UK and searches for Giant Power aren't yielding any suitable results.

Any other suggestions?🤷🏻😕 

One thing I would just quietly add is that I bought some of this brand's Lipos recently and their internal resistance numbers are somewhat higher than my other packs, so there's a bit of an illustration of "you get what you pay for" there I think. Mine were super cheap (Amazon, £26 for 2) and we're just bashing so I think it's fine, but worth knowing. If you need to invest more time to source for shape/fitment I'd be inclined to think a bit more money for a bit more quality is worth having. 

4 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

One thing I would just quietly add is that I bought some of this brand's Lipos recently and their internal resistance numbers are somewhat higher than my other packs, so there's a bit of an illustration of "you get what you pay for" there I think. Mine were super cheap (Amazon, £26 for 2) and we're just bashing so I think it's fine, but worth knowing. If you need to invest more time to source for shape/fitment I'd be inclined to think a bit more money for a bit more quality is worth having. 

Thanks mate, interesting👍

So in that case, anyone know a good quality Tamiya suitable lipo?

14 hours ago, Kol__ said:

I'm looking at stepping into Lipos, but they absolutely need to be the same shape as the standard Nimh's to fit into a variety of vintage Tamiya.

If you're new to lipos , I'd recommend staying away from the likes of amazon and ebay.

Yes there might be some bargains, but also cheap knock offs, and you won't really know, until its too late...🔥

Part of the BRCA ruling on lipos is 'from a reputable UK outlet', (which I know can be interpreted differently with different people, but....), so I'd recommend somewhere like Modelsport or MB Models, which have a reputation to uphold, and don't sell rubbish.

First on the list is a decent LCD screened charger (tbh, they usually charge nicad/nimh better than a cheap charger too) a named brand lipo, and named charge bag (I've bought cheap ones off ebay, and I may aswell use a , bag for life ,out of Asda...😬

Once you've cut your teeth, got a bit of experience, and know what your doing, what to expect etc, then it's upto you.

These fit anywhere a 6s (7.2v) nicad/nimh fits.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/core-rc-4000mahr-74v-30-60c-2s-lipo-388538

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me at least I get name brand lipo batteries for reasons mentioned above. Genace lipos have been good to me.

• Like 1