Sign in to follow this  
burakol

Wild One 58050 vs 58525 wheels

I didn't realize that the wheels from the ReRe Wild One is designed slightly different. I have an original kit 58050 which I, unfortunately, broke the rear original wheel. 

In excitement to get it fixed, I bought a replacement wheel from Tony's Tamiya as it was listed as part for both 58050 and 58525. I got them today but sadly, it does not fit. 

The wheel is stamped as Wild One Rear, signifying that it is indeed for a Wild One car, and it also has a 58050 stamp on the plastic tree, but oddly, it does not work. There is a round plastic surrounding the 4 pins that goes in the wheel adapter making it not flushed. I can probably sand it down but that's more work... 

IMG_20211006_173819.jpg

Wouldn't it be easier to reduce the diameter of the drive hub than sand down the wheel ?

22 minutes ago, MadInventor said:

Wouldn't it be easier to reduce the diameter of the drive hub than sand down the wheel ?

Absolutely! Didn't thought about that! I can just run it on slow speed while I hold a sand paper or whatever abrasive I have and reduce it that way... thanks!!! 

However, I need to double check the clearance before I do that. Last thing I want is to end up ruining more part.

Was this a known variance? The part number seems to be the same for both the OG and ReRe. Even Tony's Tamiya has it listed for both fitment. 

I got a response from Tony, and he explained to me that the earlier release of the Wild One had a weak point on the wheel where it was prone to cracking in the center exactly like what happened to my original wheel. In response, Tamiya redesigned the wheel to have the round plastic surround to reinforce from impact. By doing so, Tamiya also released a new design on the succeeding batches of Wild Ones using a smaller diameter wheel mount. 

Question now is, knowing that I have a first batch Wild One, do I want to sand off the original wheel mount, or do I shave off the round ring on the wheel but at the risk of weaking the wheel? Tony said it would take him 4 weeks to get the smaller wheel mount from Japan as he is waiting for some re-stocks. OR, just buy some hex adapters for now and use different wheels... too hard to decide! 

47 minutes ago, burakol said:

I got a response from Tony, and he explained to me that the earlier release of the Wild One had a weak point on the wheel where it was prone to cracking in the center exactly like what happened to my original wheel. In response, Tamiya redesigned the wheel to have the round plastic surround to reinforce from impact. By doing so, Tamiya also released a new design on the succeeding batches of Wild Ones using a smaller diameter wheel mount. 

Question now is, knowing that I have a first batch Wild One, do I want to sand off the original wheel mount, or do I shave off the round ring on the wheel but at the risk of weaking the wheel? Tony said it would take him 4 weeks to get the smaller wheel mount from Japan as he is waiting for some re-stocks. OR, just buy some hex adapters for now and use different wheels... too hard to decide! 

I've just checked my wild one re-re and I've got the reinforced wheels. The diameter of the adapter is 17.91mm where it fits inside the wheel, so that should give you some idea of how much plastic you would need to remove from yours.

If it was me I wouldn't shave down the wheels. It will be difficult to get them flush, so they probably won't sit flat against the adapter, plus it's always well fiddly trying to inside a wheel. 

22 minutes ago, MadInventor said:

I've just checked my wild one re-re and I've got the reinforced wheels. The diameter of the adapter is 17.91mm where it fits inside the wheel, so that should give you some idea of how much plastic you would need to remove from yours.

If it was me I wouldn't shave down the wheels. It will be difficult to get them flush, so they probably won't sit flat against the adapter, plus it's always well fiddly trying to inside a wheel. 

I'm scouring the internet right now to get the ReRe spacer/adapter. Hopefully Tamiya USA has it in stock. I'd like to keep the original plastic if I could for keepsake. If not, then I will just have to shave it down since it is unlikely that I will be buying/finding a first release wheel anyway. Thank you for checking!

Tamiya beefed up the wheels because of breakages of the original weak design . The wheels ( and the rear arm stops were made oval shape to prevent the rear arms dropping too far at full extent ) were altered  in later production of the original model and used with the re-re , and they are the type you have there . The fronts were also redesigned for the same reason

2 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

Tamiya beefed up the wheels because of breakages of the original weak design . The wheels ( and the rear arm stops were made oval shape to prevent the rear arms dropping too far at full extent ) were altered  in later production of the original model and used with the re-re , and they are the type you have there . The fronts were also redesigned for the same reason

So the same is true for the front wheels too? Should I just go ahead and order a pair then?