sirandy

Where have all the tankers gone? Advice needed...

Hey guys,

I haven't shown my face around these parts in years. Having recently moved to the UK, I need to get rid of a few things. One of them is a Tiger 1 that is 3/4 built and painted/weathered. Its fairly rare now as it was the verion 50009 that came with EVERYTHING including Tamiya radio gear, batteries, rx, MFC and DMD. I believe these are now quite rare as the 50010 is the only one being made to date.

I added a LOT of extras including chassis stiffeners, reduction gearing system and an upgraded idler. I did all of these in preparation for adding metal tracks, which I have done. Also got a few additional things like metal buckets, lights and shackles...I also went silly and bought a Michael Wittman figurine for it...LOL!

I have had it up on ebay for less than a new 50010 kit and not even a bite! Has tanking completly lost its appeal?

Granted, I did pain this, in a non-accurate historical colour, but unless a rivet-counter is looking at it, its done pretty well in my opinion. Is it that people simply don't want a  painted tank as they want to do it themselves?

Perhaps someone more experienced in this arena could provide some insight as to why there is no demand, or am I simply asking too much money? I also know that with the Torro/Henglong offerings about, the more expensive, but more rewarding Tamiya kits are now relegated to 'serious collectors' and therefore a thinner market?

It's on ebay right now, and I may pop over to the 'Shameless Ebay plug" page and put it up there, see if any Tamiya nuts want to have a crack at it!

Cheers

I have tried selling tanks in recent years. I sold 2 vintage king tigers for £250 for the pair. These had both been modified to replace the single 540 motor and the clutches with twin 540 motors, one driving each track. I put a sniffer out for selling a Jagdpanther recently (which are now about £700 new) and my best offer was about £200 - £250. My experience is that the bottom has dropped out of the market. You can readily sell the tanks, but people are only interested in bargains, IMO, you've got no chance of getting any where what you've put into it. I did see a tank matching your description on Ebay and thought it was very well finished, my suggestion would be that the price is too steep. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the response, looks like the market for Tamiya's has nose-dived. I will probably hang on to it for a while and see if that changes, or I will get an inspiration to use it. I will keep listing it in the interim.

Cheers.

Frankly I would finish it, run it, enjoy it. I have Sheridan full option ( I also got the Japan market only radio )and it’s a hoot to play with especially when the gun goes off and the whole chassis rocks. I think their price has hurt them for the future. Perhaps if they produced a simpler version without all the whistles and bells.  Simple tank steer modules that are used in boats would allow simple 2 channel radio.

Shameless ebay link? I’ll take a look.

Tanks have got expensive, which is odd seeing as the average truck build exceeds a tank.

Still lurking!

My interest has just been re invigorated since seeing that Tamiya has a Centurion on the way - this is going to get expensive!

May be an image of 3 people