Sign in to follow this  
dmelczer

Yet another Falcon rebuild...question on bevel gears

Hello, everyone!

Been a Tamiya fan since I was a kid and had a Falcon growing up.  Over the last 2 years I've totally restored the first Falcon, but I had so many parts left over from spare lots and stuff that I had purchased to restore the first, that I decided to put together a second Falcon.  I have just about everything, but I am missing a single large bevel gear (for those with Falcon manuals, it's part BG1).  Does anyone know if any other model had a large bevel gear that might be compatible with the Falcon gearbox?  I know the center cut hole is oblong on the Falcon bevel gears to properly fit the drive cups, so anything with a round center bore probably won't work.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

20211004_072202.jpg

As you may know already, Wild Will 1 has larger bevel gears.  So do the Grasshopper and Lunch box.  But unfortunately, they have hexagonal nuts that's connecting to the large bevel gears.  You might have to wait until somebody makes a 3D printed version.  

I wonder if there is a differential that might fit... It has 50 teeth?  But most differentials from the 80s have smaller teeth counts like 47. DT-03 has plastic drive cups too.  (two side of the shaft are cut instead of one)  But DT03 differential gear is probably too fat, also has less teeth.  It would be nice if we can find something that fits. Maybe other members know something else that fits? 

As a side note, this explains the reluctance of Tamiya to re-release the Falcon. It had some unique parts, in addition to some strengthening that needs to be done.  

Thanks, Juggular.  Unfortunately I thought this might be the case.  I had also investigated the Grasshopper and Lunch Box large bevel gears.  Looks like I'll continue to troll e-bay and see if anyone can 3-d print these...

You might be able to commission the part to be designed.  Once designed, put it up on Shapeways.  You get your part that way, and you can also sell them. That way, you might be able to recuperate the cost in the long run, and help other Falconers too.  

https://www.fiverr.com/categories/graphics-design/product-design-services/prototyping-3d-printing

Actually, just trolling e-bay I noticed that a gear bag from the Nova Fox has large bevel gears that have a similar oblong bore to the Falcon's.  I just ordered them, so when they arrive I'll report back and let everyone know if they are compatible or not.

18 minutes ago, Juggular said:

You might be able to commission the part to be designed.  Once designed, put it up on Shapeways.  You get your part that way, and you can also sell them. That way, you might be able to recuperate the cost in the long run, and help other Falconers too.  

https://www.fiverr.com/categories/graphics-design/product-design-services/prototyping-3d-printing

That's a great idea!  If the Nova Fox parts I just ordered don't work, I might be able to send the one that I have out and have it modeled and printed.

You may find this interesting, as the Falcon and Striker share gearbox internals (and indeed, gearboxes):

Having been tripped up by the subtle differences between the bevel gears in the Striker/Falcon and the Grasshopper et al., the decision was made to proceed with what was initially a thought experiment.

As I found out, the differential from a Rising Fighter does indeed fit, but the new part is 49T vs. the Striker's/Falcon's 50T differential gear. Gear mesh is not noticeably affected, although I have yet to test the system in anger as I am waiting on correct-length drive shafts to be able to run it. As the Rising Fighter differential uses splined outdrives (compared to the flat shafts found on those from the original), and sits off-centre in the gearbox, I used one outdrive from a Tamiya VQS and another from a Comical Avante (models I had on hand) to make it work.

From another thread I referenced over on RC10Talk, I learned that drive shafts measuring 52.5 mm in length, pin-to-pin, should work with this setup. This was discovered by a member there fitting CVDs to his Tamiya Falcon.

From all this information, then, an alternative to the stock differential should be feasible. I will be reporting on this particular setup over in the thread mentioned earlier in this post, pending the arrival of proper drive shafts!

Edited by Grastens
Reformatted post, with synopsis of referenced post
  • Like 1

That is some incredibly interesting work, Grastens!  Thank you for sharing.  This will almost certainly come in handy...

On 10/8/2021 at 4:07 PM, dmelczer said:

Hello, everyone!

Been a Tamiya fan since I was a kid and had a Falcon growing up.  Over the last 2 years I've totally restored the first Falcon, but I had so many parts left over from spare lots and stuff that I had purchased to restore the first, that I decided to put together a second Falcon.  I have just about everything, but I am missing a single large bevel gear (for those with Falcon manuals, it's part BG1).  Does anyone know if any other model had a large bevel gear that might be compatible with the Falcon gearbox?  I know the center cut hole is oblong on the Falcon bevel gears to properly fit the drive cups, so anything with a round center bore probably won't work.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

20211004_072202.jpg

That’s hot!!  What wheels are you running?

@dmelczer, welcome to the club and nice Falcon! Just sent you a pm. I've got a couple of these gears hanging around in the shed if still needed.

Cheers

Kurt

On 10/11/2021 at 5:50 AM, Exit13 said:

That’s hot!!  What wheels are you running?

Thank you!  Those are really cheap rims from Ebay.  I wish I could get them in aluminum alloy, but alas they are plastic...

Here is a link:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/193729796437

I put the original falcon rubber tires on the rear wheels.  I think it makes it a little bit more aggressive.

I'm probably going to change the rims out for these though... https://www.ebay.com/mye/myebay/purchase

So I did get the Fox gears today.  No matter how I arrange things, they won't work in the Falcon gearbox.  Such a shame.  I guess those Falcon gears are one-offs.

So for anyone tempted...don't waste your money like I did.  :(

17 hours ago, Beetlemankurt said:

@dmelczer, welcome to the club and nice Falcon! Just sent you a pm. I've got a couple of these gears hanging around in the shed if still needed.

Cheers

Kurt

You are amazing Kurt.  I'm going to PM you now...!