Zealot

Zealot's build thread - Currently: 58583 Egress (2013)

Hi all, just thought I'd start up a build thread for my (too) numerous kits awaiting my loving attention. Intention is to post them all in here (if that's ok) as I only work on one at a time, from start to finish, so sort of like a b(uild)log. Most will be hop-up heavy but otherwise relatively unspectacular in terms of custom mods or radical paint schemes etc, but it may still provide some with a bit of entertainment.

Here's a list in no particular order which I'll update as the requisite parts for each project are acquired and provide a direct link to once completed.

̶5̶8̶5̶7̶1̶ ̶T̶T̶0̶2̶ ̶P̶o̶r̶s̶c̶h̶e̶ ̶9̶1̶1̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶r̶e̶r̶a̶ ̶R̶S̶R̶

58583 Egress 2013

58489 Avante 2011

47470 Top Force Evo 2021

47350 Top Force 2017 x 2

47381 Super Astute 2018

47367 Manta Ray 2018

47442 Terra Scorcher 2020

47457 Fire Dragon 2020

58577 Novafox

58686 VQS 2020

58618 Monster Beetle 2015

58633 Blackfoot 2016

47454 TT02B

58528 XV-01 Subaru Impreza WRX STI

58569 XV-01 Lancia Delta Integrale

You may be wondering how the badword I ended up with so many "to do" projects. Well, I love hop-ups, as I'm sure many of you do also, and I just can't start a build until I have everything I need to complete it, including electronics etc. But then, when I'm hunting parts for a particular car, I'll get sidetracked and start looking at bits for another car, so then I have all these kits with almost-but-not-quite-eveything needed to kick them off.

Anyway, it's finally getting to a point where a few have all that is needed so I should be able to stop spending (who am I kidding?) and start building.

Hope you enjoy!

• Like 3

First cab off the rank...

spacer.png

Fell in love with the look of this thing so had to grab one. Got heaps of aly going in as you can see and will be running the Acto-Power special touring motor for starters. Swapping out all 3mm hardware for black finish stainless hex drive.

Started last night and got this far...

spacer.png

Some progress from earlier today...

spacer.png

First time doing a complete machine thread upgrade and the tapping sure adds quite a bit of time to the build.

• Like 4

I need to build myself an on road car. Just not sure which one to get yet. Chassis type or body. Needs to be a good chassis though.

8 hours ago, Zealot said:

You may be wondering how the badword I ended up with so many "to do" projects. Well, I love hop-ups, as I'm sure many of you do also, and I just can't start a build until I have everything I need to complete it, including electronics etc. But then, when I'm hunting parts for a particular car, I'll get sidetracked and start looking at bits for another car, so then I have all these kits with almost-but-not-quite-eveything needed to kick them off.

Oh absolutely this. I think we may be kindred spirits 😂

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, FoxShot said:

I need to build myself an on road car. Just not sure which one to get yet. Chassis type or body. Needs to be a good chassis though.

Yeah, good point, this is my first on-road build and if you asked me even 3 months ago, I'd have told you I wasn't interested. But Tamiya make these things look so good and then you watch Gav or Glenn and it's game over!

1 hour ago, Zealot said:

Yeah, good point, this is my first on-road build and if you asked me even 3 months ago, I'd have told you I wasn't interested. But Tamiya make these things look so good and then you watch Gav or Glenn and it's game over!

I try to avoid watching too many of their video's. I don't think my wallet can handle it! i have The Foxshot, Mk1 85 Hotshot with full RC Channel suspension & brushless eTronix, Top Force (modded), Egress (modded) and Avante (un-modded, yet). i have 2 sheets of Carbon Fibre, 2mm & 3mm. Both bigger than A4.

And, of course The Bruiser (HEAVILY modded). Recently, it was the cover picture for the Bruiser group on Facebook.

• Like 1

Electronics and steering done. This chassis let's me use my square hardcase lipos which haven't seen the light of day for several years now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Think I might need some after market front uppers to get rid of the slop in the stock parts.

• Like 1

Started the graveyard shift on the current job last weekend (11pm-7am) so progress has been slow,  especially considering the step I'm up to...

spacer.png

Definitely an extremely tedious task, this one, especially when your eyes feel like they're going to fall out with tiredness already, without the focus and steady hand required to make a half decent job of these %$#¥! things. I feel the hub should have been made two-piece to make it easy to paint and get a good looking result.

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2021 at 12:46 PM, Zealot said:

Electronics and steering done. This chassis let's me use my square hardcase lipos which haven't seen the light of day for several years now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Think I might need some after market front uppers to get rid of the slop in the stock parts.

Looks really good. One hop up that you might appreciate that I don't think I see is the low friction suspension balls. Part no 54599.

Oh yes! This is looking awesome mate! I am only recently into the hobby again, and in 'off road' mode at the mo, but some of the on road shells and realism is starting to turn my head already... I'm trying to save that part of the hobby for the future and you're bringing it dangerously closer to my wallet with this thread. Look forward to seeing the progress on this one:)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Toad16v said:

Looks really good. One hop up that you might appreciate that I don't think I see is the low friction suspension balls. Part no 54599.

Thanks. I'm thinking I'll get some adjustable upper arms.

• Like 1

They look alright. From six feet away. Now that I've done a set of these and made mistakes, I'd like to do another set as I'm sure I could get a much better result. Certainly not something one can rush, these.

spacer.png

Looking something like a car now.

IMG-20211017-000501.jpg

Nearly there...

IMG-20211017-000400.jpg

IMG-20211017-000637.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Aerobert said:

Looking great so far. I love all the red hop ups on your car.

Yeah, I felt that red was the ideal colour for this car.

Still haven't gotten back into the right head space to get into the body yet. I don't want to stuff it up either, so I think it's best to wait a bit. Decided to get some magnetic body mounts too.

So, I just moved the receiver and re-routed the wiring a bit for a better fit and added a TT-01 steering tie rod set and a turnbuckle on the servo link I pulled from a DT-03 turnbuckle set. Not all that necessary I know, but they look cool. ;)

IMG-20211031-122713.jpg

IMG-20211031-122729.jpg

• Like 5

Got started on the body today. Trimmed and sanded and applied masking. First time I've ever done panel line masking. Very fiddly and tedious but hopefully comes up ok. Used Vallejo flexible tape. Doesn't seem all that sticky, which is a good thing for realigning the tape after application but I hope it gives a good, sharp line.

IMG-20211106-164352.jpg

spacer.png

Decided to do a "street" version with this body and will likely get another body to do the Martini livery.

Also cut up some Skyline light buckets so I can fit lights to this thing someday.

IMG-20211106-170301.jpg

Paint tomorrow...

• Like 1

Looks good. 👍. Have seen a few finished bodies with the panel line masking and then paint and imo it looks far better than the micron tape people use. Can't wait to see how it turns out. 

James.

• Thanks 1

And here she is...

Well, not quite. Just have the body blocked up roughly to height to get an idea. Still have a few little bits and pieces to do before I call it finished. :D

IMG-20211109-193316.jpg

IMG-20211109-193537.jpg

IMG-20211109-193332.jpg

IMG-20211109-193411.jpg

IMG-20211109-193419.jpg

IMG-20211109-193431.jpg

Paint method was 2 light coats of PS-58 Pearl Clear followed by a light dusting of PS-1 White, then another layer of pearl, then several more white. Then, a layer of PS-41 Bright Silver followed by PS-5 Black and lastly PS-31 Smoke for that tinted look.

• Like 10

Yes, nice job that you didn't do some cheesy special color like aubergine metallic flip flop 27 translucent layers but something solid and bold and classic. Well done. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GermanTA03Guy said:

Yes, nice job that you didn't do some cheesy special color like aubergine metallic flip flop 27 translucent layers but something solid and bold and classic. Well done. 

4316e091ad0c26dc4b92b7f8e5fd0ac1fd5c598a

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Haha Well but that goes through as classic too... Still yours is nicer but that is an OG motorsport paint job. I was talking about candy apple light red greenish purple fly-style changing color with autoscooter sparkle flakes and 20 inch chrome rims. 

• Haha 1