alvinlwh

London?

Down in London for a few days for some family business. Wondering if there are any good Tamiya RC shops to go to in person? I know there is the West London Models, any where else? There are obviously other RC shops in London but not all carry Tamiya. I am staying in Richmond, if it makes any difference. 

I'm just next to Richmond - not a lot of choices nearby.

DMS Racing is probably the best in Greater London area, though a long way from Richmond, they are only open Mon to Fri

https://www.dms-racing.com/

418 St Albans Road, Watford, WD24 6PJ

Addlestone Models is closer to you - can probably get a quick train there from Richmond, though they have some Tamiya on the website I don't remember much of a choice last time I went in (though was about 6 years ago!)

https://www.addlestone-models.co.uk/

130 Station Road, Addlestone, KT15 2BE

• Thanks 1

Addlestone Models is tiny, but you may find something there.

Try Slough RC Models.

Yeah Addlestone models is ok, but very small and not worth travelling to visit tbh. Since getting back into RC recently I was saddened to see that the option to travel to a local model shop and gorp at potential future purchases or whatever is no longer an option as they are pretty much all closed. What's the biggest one in the UK? I may travel to it one day just to actually have the experience!!

Not sure how far you've come @alvinlwh??Outside of London there is also Mantua models in Windsor (not sure how much Tamiya they do though) and TJD Models in Dartford.

10 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

Yeah Addlestone models is ok, but very small and not worth travelling to visit tbh. Since getting back into RC recently I was saddened to see that the option to travel to a local model shop and gorp at potential future purchases or whatever is no longer an option as they are pretty much all closed. What's the biggest one in the UK? I may travel to it one day just to actually have the experience!!

Not sure how far you've come @alvinlwh??Outside of London there is also Mantua models in Windsor (not sure how much Tamiya they do though) and TJD Models in Dartford.

Modelsport (Leeds), Wheelspin Models (Cannock), and MB Models (Leeds) are all worth a visit if nearby

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. While very much appreciated, looking at the list prices onsite, it will be better ordering from the major websites. 

But don't worry, your replies may not be wasted. These shops are added to my Google pins, and of I go on that direction, may drop by for a look see. I am driving this trip so can go to places, and is also going to Hertfordshire. 

DMS - in my experience of them not a good idea to mention Tamiya kits!!! Never seen one in there. They sometimes stock a few Tamiya paints but that’s it. Good range of CoreRC paints. Very race orientated, in fact they don’t open at weekends as they run their own club. Not sure what they run but not Tamiya that I know of. 
Slough RC- Used to stock quite a good range of Tamiya kits but I believe they were running their stocks down. Didn’t hold much in the way of spares.  I live in Hertfordshire and get very jealous of members when they say they popped into their LHS for a mooch. Those days are long gone around here. RIP Beatties, Moor Models, Chorleywood model shop, Seymour models Harrow, The Harrow model shop, to name but a few!!!

* just checked Slough RC website they have quite a few Tamiya kits listed but only 3/4 in stock inc a Jimny wheelie!!! The shop is in an industrial unit on a big business estate. Keep your eyes open or you’ll miss it. I rang them once as I couldn’t find it and “ it was behind me”

Edited by Busdriver

18 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

RIP Beatties, Moor Models, Chorleywood model shop, Seymour models Harrow, The Harrow model shop, to name but a few!!!

Ah yes, Beatties was awesome and a real giant back in the day. I have fond memories of visiting the Watford store when I used to go visit my Nan.

2 hours ago, Kol__ said:

Check out the Addlestone models website as well mate, they were pretty competitive price wise and matched all prices from other website when I called them up -

https://www.addlestone-models.co.uk/

I may still visit them if I have time left on the last day as they are kind of in the direction of Heathrow. I do like to go to physical shops as they sometimes have old stock that are not listed on the main site. As I said, they are added to my Google maps pin. Thanks for the heads up. 👍

1 hour ago, Busdriver said:

I live in Hertfordshire and get very jealous of members when they say they popped into their LHS for a mooch. Those days are long gone around here. RIP Beatties, Moor Models, Chorleywood model shop, Seymour models Harrow, The Harrow model shop, to name but a few!!!

I used to live in Stevenage (for 2 months) and got my first RCs (LB & TT-01) from TTM. Now they had actually moved "closer" to me in Scotland, closer being a relative term as it will still take me a 7h boat ride and a 4h drive to get to them. 😅

• Haha 1

Went to West London for a meal so went to West London (obviously) Models and got a Holiday Buggy. Not cheaper than online sources, but nice to be able to chat to a real person for a while when buying a kit. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

Theres still a pretty good and well stocked modelshop in St Evenage that sells Tamiya and Kyosho kits.

S C Models - I went there about three weeks ago and got a couple of servos and crafting bits.

https://www.scmodels.co.uk

• Thanks 1

(sees thread title and immediately starts singing "Hairdresser on Fire")

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

Theres still a pretty good and well stocked modelshop in St Evenage that sells Tamiya and Kyosho kits.

S C Models - I went there about three weeks ago and got a couple of servos and crafting bits.

Stevenage? Is that TTM's replacement? 🤔 May pop by if I have time after I am done in Hatfield. Thanks for the heads up. 

1 minute ago, alvinlwh said:

Stevenage? Is that TTM's replacement? 🤔 May pop by if I have time after I am done in Hatfield. Thanks for the heads up. 

Not too sure as im not familar with TTM. But SC Models is on a small trading estate just into Stevenage off of the ring road that goes down to main road that then heads up to the A1 if your heading out of Steveage (im not too familar with the exact road names but can drive to it ok as i come from the Walkern / A10 side)

8 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Not too sure as im not familar with TTM. But SC Models is on a small trading estate just into Stevenage off of the ring road that goes down to main road that then heads up to the A1 if your heading out of Steveage (im not too familar with the exact road names but can drive to it ok as i come from the Walkern / A10 side)

TTM was the "go to" in Hertfordshire between 1997 to 2010. In fact, my first two RCs were from them when I was staying in Stevenage in 2009.

https://www.timetunnelmodels.com/live/catalog/index.php

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

TTM was the "go to" in Hertfordshire between 1997 to 2010. In fact, my first two RCs were from them when I was staying in Stevenage in 2009.

https://www.timetunnelmodels.com/live/catalog/index.php

Did they move?

Time Tunnel Models, Unit 3, Fenton Barns Retail Village, North Berwick, EH39 5BW, United Kingdom. 

Nice if they left and another physical shop took over rather than it be lost.

21 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Did they move?

Time Tunnel Models, Unit 3, Fenton Barns Retail Village, North Berwick, EH39 5BW, United Kingdom. 

Nice if they left and another physical shop took over rather than it be lost.

I quoted the wrong link, this one explains their history better. 

https://www.timetunnelmodels.com/live/catalog/mtsp.php?paID=1

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

I quoted the wrong link, this one explains their history better. 

https://www.timetunnelmodels.com/live/catalog/mtsp.php?paID=1

Aha! I have only known of them being up in the current location. I'm relatively new to the hobby, I have no Tamiya memories to look back on, no LHS visits, no nostalgia.

I like that on your holiday you bought a Holiday Buggy :D

1 minute ago, Badcrumble said:

I like that on your holiday you bought a Holiday Buggy :D

It just seems appropriate doesn't it? 😁

Back in my static days, I used to love going to Hobby Zone whenever I come south, but they are gone now. 

On 10/11/2021 at 7:33 PM, Superluminal said:

Thanks for the tip.

spacer.png

I was meeting some old friends in Hatfield so it is just a nip over to Stevenage to get to them. Excellent location for parking as well. 👍 They went from a "may go" to a "must go" when I realised they sell tyres as I had difficulties buying tyres online as many sellers do not list the important dimensions. 

And I had in the past, bought wheels that will not work with any of my cars from online stores. 

Sadly, he refuses to move on pricing, so not buying the TA03R-S 911 GT1 today. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Thats a pretty good haul!

This kind of haul, my wife have no problem with, as, in her words, "it takes me 2 flights costing over £200 return to get here, might as well make full use of the trip". BUT strangely, she is not happy with my online purchase, which actually will cost less! 🤔🙄

Which is why I will be getting the TA03R-S online as he refused to move, even slightly, on price.