Sign in to follow this  
superchief

My CC-02 Build

Finished my CC-02 build. Ready to take it out for some scale overlanding. Aside from a couple of flaws like the steering, it's a fantastic kit, and that's coming from someone who has had Axials, Cross RCs, and Gmades

MEhBcLz.jpg

R6uUf7S.jpg

PRVyt3n.jpg

oemtOGq.jpg

• Like 4

@superchief  Can you elaborate on this steering flaw(s) you mentioned?   I have a CC01 LandCruiser and the biggest issue I have is its turn radius.  I read that CC02 addressed this... but you're saying it still has steering related problems?   

Please let me know as I am planning to get the Defender body one when released.  TIA

@Willy iine The bump steer is pretty bad on this kit. It's caused by the fact that the steering servo is chassis mounted, and the steering pushrod comes down at an extreme angle. An axle-mounted servo would eliminate bump steer and use its torque more efficiently, but standard servos are too large for these axles. I'm working on an axle-mounted servo system that uses a Savox SW-1250MG mini servo that puts out 111 oz-in at 7.4v. The mount will be 3D printable. When I get my printer back up and running I'll begin prototyping

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, superchief said:

@Willy iine The bump steer is pretty bad on this kit. It's caused by the fact that the steering servo is chassis mounted, and the steering pushrod comes down at an extreme angle. An axle-mounted servo would eliminate bump steer and use its torque more efficiently, but standard servos are too large for these axles. I'm working on an axle-mounted servo system that uses a Savox SW-1250MG mini servo that puts out 111 oz-in at 7.4v. The mount will be 3D printable. When I get my printer back up and running I'll begin prototyping

Thanks.   Okay, I do see that steering rod coming down from the chassis on your front view picture.  That is extreme.  GL on the 3D design, keep us posted!

BTW, good looking car you got there.  Are you going to install a driver in there?

Thanks! I haven't thought about putting a driver in it yet. I've kind of wanted an interior piece first but none exist to my knowledge...

9 minutes ago, superchief said:

Thanks! I haven't thought about putting a driver in it yet. I've kind of wanted an interior piece first but none exist to my knowledge...

I would check out @toyolien for his custom interiors, @JennyMo and @Busdriver for their custom creations as well..  These 3 have been my resource for inspiration and ideas on what materials to use for my own one-off cars and decorations.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, superchief said:

If you're going to try and fix the bump steer I'd look into a panhard bar first to keep it a bit more scale. Although to be honest one of my trucks has 4-link and a chassis mounted servo, the bump steer on the bench is terrible but you don't really notice it when you are driving - there is so much going on with the rigid-axle suspension that the bump steer is just part of the ride!

Nice selection of 3D printed accessories - makes it look like a mini Hobao DC1. What wheel/tyre diameter have you got on there? 

@sosidge Man you're right it really does look like the Hobao! I didn't know that existed to be honest with you. The wheels are 1.55" and the tires are 4.19" tall. Not huge so they fit the scale of the CC-02, but larger than the stock tires which prompted me to cut out the arches and make the fender flares. The front bumper was mostly for looks but it also improves the approach angle a good amount

• Like 1