Rider400

Tamiya & Ford Licensing

Found it odd that this new CC01 body has the Ford logo on it but the ReRe Blackfoot does not. Ya figure they only license specific models and not just the brand?

20211008_154521.jpg

20211008_154529.jpg

Love that body. An excellent question you raise . I have often wondered why they dropped the branding on the Blackfoot F150 body? It cannot be body specific licensing surely ? It certainly isn’t brand as Tamiya make loads of Fords. People have proposed that the 959 was not re reed due to licensing but they keep bringing out re re Porsches? 

Probably a time or unit limit imposed by the manufacturer and or agreed to by Tamiya per contract/model. 🤷

• Like 2

Could be that they don't allow certain interpretations of their cars anymore, the CC-01 Bronco is quite scale looking and used in a "civilized" way, while the Blackfoot is more of a basher. Same with movies where brands often won't allow their products to be shown in bad ways, like cars getting destroyed or used for committing crimes.

It might be to do with the amount of 'profit' that there is in some kits. Perhaps there isn't enough money in the Blackfoot to afford a licence fee also. 

The Ford logo on that particular (1:1) body style only appeared for one year, then Ford went without for about a decade. It’s actually “more” correct not having it, but it’s not as cool…

Cut from Wiki:

Model year 1980–1981 trucks had a plain grille with "FORD" spelled across the front of the hood in chrome lettering, similar to the 1978-1979 models of the previous generation.

The 1982 model year was marked by a slight but important cosmetic change: 1982–86 models had the "FORD" letters above the grille removed, and a Ford oval placed in the center of the grille, with fewer vertical bars in the grille itself.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

The Ford logo on that particular (1:1) body style only appeared for one year, then Ford went without for about a decade. It’s actually “more” correct not having it, but it’s not as cool…

Cut from Wiki:

Model year 1980–1981 trucks had a plain grille with "FORD" spelled across the front of the hood in chrome lettering, similar to the 1978-1979 models of the previous generation.

The 1982 model year was marked by a slight but important cosmetic change: 1982–86 models had the "FORD" letters above the grille removed, and a Ford oval placed in the center of the grille, with fewer vertical bars in the grille itself.”

Yes I saw this whilst doing mt F150/Brat. But they also took ford off the tailgate!!!

• Like 1

We allow the use of our brand at work by individual items not the brand overall. 

• Like 1

I deal a lot with Ford Licensing at work (aftermarket auto parts), and I can't point to any one reason the BF is not licensed other than Tamiya didn't think it was necessary to sell the kit (as others have said already).  When you sign a licensing contract you don't get free reign to use the brand as you wish, you must submit each individual product for approval.  So, either Tamiya did not bother to have it licensed or Ford denied it for some reason, but I think it's much more likely that Tamiya didn't bother this time around.  

Was the original Blackfoot licensed?  I remember when they released the Clod it was not licensed and they got into trouble with GM, wasn't sure if they had the same issue with Ford back in the day and figured to not even bother this time around? 

On 10/13/2021 at 10:33 AM, 87lc2 said:

I deal a lot with Ford Licensing at work (aftermarket auto parts), and I can't point to any one reason the BF is not licensed other than Tamiya didn't think it was necessary to sell the kit (as others have said already).  When you sign a licensing contract you don't get free reign to use the brand as you wish, you must submit each individual product for approval.  So, either Tamiya did not bother to have it licensed or Ford denied it for some reason, but I think it's much more likely that Tamiya didn't bother this time around.  

Was the original Blackfoot licensed?  I remember when they released the Clod it was not licensed and they got into trouble with GM, wasn't sure if they had the same issue with Ford back in the day and figured to not even bother this time around? 

The original BF had Ford emblems. Maybe when they lost the licensing after the first round and they changed all their molds to remove the logos, they figured why bother going back. Its just more time, money & work for them at this point.

Just a theory.

Knowing Ford to be particular, the Blackfoot isn’t a Ford product.  F150 is.  So Tamiya can’t sell a Blackfoot with Ford approval hence the Ford logos were removed.

On 10/13/2021 at 10:33 AM, 87lc2 said:

I think it's much more likely that Tamiya didn't bother this time around.  

The simplest answer seems closest to the truth. Why pay Ford for this one, when there’s money to be made licensing race cars and scale crawlers?

• Like 1

Its probably that tamiya knew the hassle and its probably time consuming which would probably delay the release of the blackfoot re-release? The company I work for have a lot of vehicles and we did have a lot of Ford cars/Van's but we quickly moved to other brands simply because Ford were ridiculous with the warranties because we had our own garages and did the maintenance in house they didn't really like it so they kept on wanting to inspect every vehicle when it went wrong still under warranty which is no good for fleet services because the vehicles would sit for days until Ford would inspected them!,  then ford started stipulating what tools the mechanics had to use then it got totally stupid when a few vehicles had some sort of issues and when Ford  inspected them they noted that the mechanics weren't using the correct air lines for the tools which had to use compressed air and it could effect the warranties 🤯......long story short Ford vehicles gone other vehicles in!  problem gone!