Busdriver

Cheap as chips

☹️Sadly my return to work is going to be short lived. The pain, &. discomfort I suffer without medication ( to please the DVLA medical dept) is not really conducive to driving a bus full of passengers. If I take the medication the sometimes drowsy effect they have is even worse. 

as a result I think I might be at home or recovering from surgery for a while so need a project. I have a TD4 on order but need something for fun. Under £100 for the kit. If Fusion stock it all the better as I get 10% discount. Needs to be off-road so was thinking Rising Fighter + cva’s (DT03???) , Grasshopper 2 Black edition or a stock Grasshopper? Any thoughts??? Quite happy with 380 power as it’s only going to get used in the garden if I can’t get out for a bit.

• Sad 5

DT-03 is always a good choice if you want to drive it. It can be monsterised like the DTs as well to work in longer grass

Oh, that sucks ☹️ I hope the next few weeks and months are kind to you and you’re feeling brighter soon

In the meantime….

The sand viper (dt-02) fits the bill including the Fusion discount, and includes oil filled CVAs and full bearings as standard 👍

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nobbi1977 said:

DT-03 is always a good choice if you want to drive it. It can be monsterised like the DTs as well to work in longer grass

Strangely enough I have an  Aqroshot unloved getting ready for sale!!!!  So another might not work for me.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Juhunio said:

Oh, the sucks ☹️ I hope the next few weeks and months are kind to you and you’re feeling brighter soon

In the meantime….

The sand viper (dt-02) fits the bill including the Fusion discount, and includes oil filled CVAs and full bearings as standard 👍

I’ll have a look. I like DT02 as I have a Titan already. But a buggy might be good

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

I’ll have a look. I like DT02 as I have a Titan already. But a buggy might be good

There’s a bit of Super Astute (Light) about it. Like a Diet Astute 

Sorry to read about your back still giving you jip Jeremy.

Hope it gets sorted out ASAP.

I’d go for a Grasshopper as it’s such a classic, but not much of a build for you. 

• Thanks 1

Forgot the Holiday Buggy❤️
shame 😢 Fusion have it on pre order, but Modelsport habit for £95 😁

Edited by Busdriver
  • Like 1

What about a Grasshopper 2 Black Edition?  Here in the US they are $110 and come with oil filled shocks.  According to Google that should be about 80 pounds (sorry don't know how to do the pound sign).

1 minute ago, TRF201-Driver said:

What about a Grasshopper 2 Black Edition?  Here in the US they are $110 and come with oil filled shocks.  According to Google that should be about 80 pounds (sorry don't know how to do the pound sign).

Yes that’s one of the thoughts!

Just to cheer you up here is one of our fleet of 15 Hydrogen FCEV Double Deckers 😂😂👍

In all seriousness though, hope you are doing ok. My dad was a driver for 38 years, my sister is a bus driver (17years) , her daughter is a bus driver (youngest in Scotland at 18 year old) and I am a bus mechanic. You can see where this is going, most people can't begin to understand how much of a stressful job you guys have never mind the back injuries that come from sitting on an uncomfortable seat for 8 hours a day!!  ........... anyways, I would def recommend the DT02 chassis cars, my son has one and has thrashed it to bits and it has never failed (apart from the body, that's now in bits) . 😂😂👍

James.

aberdeen-hydrogen-bus.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, InsaneJim69 said:

Just to cheer you up here is one of our fleet of 15 Hydrogen FCEV Double Deckers 😂😂👍

In all seriousness though, hope you are doing ok. My dad was a driver for 38 years, my sister is a bus driver (17years) , her daughter is a bus driver (you best in Scotland at 18 year old) and I am a bus mechanic. You can see where this is going, most people can't begin to understand how much of a stressful job you guys have never mind the back injuries that come from sitting on an uncomfortable seat for 8 hours a day!!  ........... anyways, I would def recommend the DT02 chassis cars, my son has one and has thrashed it to bits and it has never failed (apart from the body, that's now in bits) . 😂😂👍

James.

aberdeen-hydrogen-bus.jpg

Lovely bus. I work for Ar%^va, our buses are generally 10/12 years old and boneshakers!! Can you fix one of yours with a sticky ticket wallet (sorry bus driver joke)

23 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Lovely bus. I work for Ar%^va, our buses are generally 10/12 years old and boneshakers!! Can you fix one of yours with a sticky ticket wallet (sorry bus driver joke)

Yep, drivers have done that too. For the rattles from around the cab 😂😂👍

James.

Funny you are talking about the Holiday Buggy. I got this when on "holiday" in London from WLM, £97. FH will do it cheaper with the 10%, but it is nice to have a wee chat with a real person for a while. Then went to SCM at Steveage and got some DT-02 CVA's (£21) and a set of spare rears. Already got a 380 ST from PJ waiting at home but still need to work out the pinion issue. Going to order some bearings when I get home. 

spacer.png

Off topic a bit, really amazing how bus drivers can drive all day long in London, just 5 days of social driving and I am nearly dead. 

Fusion only have it on pre order? I’ve been driving a bus for 19+ years and you never really get used to it. I don’t drive in central London I’m glad to say . That really is a nightmare. Watford ring road at Christmas is bad enough for me😢

I’ve realised the one big problem with both the question and hence the answers is all of these suggestions ( all great) will only take a day to build. I need to rethink as I need something that will take a little longer but as a result I may have to up the ante a bit. Maybe a CC02 Mercedes with my Dynamog body on. It’s a longer wheelbase base than the standard Unimog body. Will have to 🤔 

• Like 1

What about something that could be customised a fair bit? I've recently got a second hand FAV and Wild One so I can renovate and add 3D parts etc.

• Thanks 1

Good idea. I’ve got an altered Wild One. But another good idea

Wishing you a speedy return to action buddy..   I don't  have any suggestions beyond what has been proposed already but I hope you settle on something fun and enjoy conquering the garden with it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Busdriver said:

I don’t drive in central London I’m glad to say . That really is a nightmare. Watford ring road at Christmas is bad enough for me😢

I really feel for the Zone 1 & 2 drivers. I made the mistake of driving down Oxford Street once, never again! 

Watford is bad? Worse than Slough? 😅

That sucks @Busdriver

You've already come up against the 'bang for buck' problem. A crawler like the CC-02 would certainly up the ante but really ups the funds required.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think you do a bit of static modelling as well as RC?

How about trying a scratch build body? Or a scale garage? The raw materials won't set you back much, there's skill development and it would certainly be a time hoover!

Stay strong, that TD4 can't be far away....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

That sucks @Busdriver

You've already come up against the 'bang for buck' problem. A crawler like the CC-02 would certainly up the ante but really ups the funds required.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think you do a bit of static modelling as well as RC?

How about trying a scratch build body? Or a scale garage? The raw materials won't set you back much, there's skill development and it would certainly be a time hoover!

Stay strong, that TD4 can't be far away....

Yes I have an under bed full of static kits. I’ve got a 1/6 bike to finish as well as 1/12 Datsun 240 Z rally and a 2010 mustang.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Yes I have an under bed full of static kits. I’ve got a 1/6 bike to finish as well as 1/12 Datsun 240 Z rally and a 2010 mustang.

Is it worth considering finishing the motor bike and some of the static kits before pulling the trigger on another kit?

40 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

Is it worth considering finishing the motor bike and some of the static kits before pulling the trigger on another kit?

That would be too rational.  :lol: ^_^ 

@Busdriver sorry to hear about your injury.  I have a bad lower back and with age I just do not heal very well any more.  I could be working on something real simple like setting up a curtain on the house and my back would sometimes give out.   I would be wobbling to work (if I'm lucky) with a cane for about a month...worse is if I needed to travel on a plane for business pre-covid.  Talk about excruciating pain.

Hope you feel better soon.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

I think @Willy iine said it all 

2 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

That would be too rational.  :lol: ^_^ 

@Busdriver sorry to hear about your injury.  I have a bad lower back and with age I just do not heal very well any more.  I could be working on something real simple like setting up a curtain on the house and my back would sometimes give out.   I would be wobbling to work (if I'm lucky) with a cane for about a month...worse is if I needed to travel on a plane for business pre-covid.  Talk about excruciating pain.

Hope you feel better soon.  

Thanks to everyone for their kind wishes. Am seeing Surgeon on Monday!!!

• Like 3