Sign in to follow this  
Toad16v

TS equivalent to ps41 bright silver

Afternoon. 

I'm going to paint my most recent shell in ps41, bright silver but there are some parts that need the ts paint. Can anyone tell me the equivalent ts colour?

Thanks

Tom

Afternoon Tom.

From my (really long ago) experience with Tamiya static model paints (for which TS was designed for), I'd venture to say that TS-30 Silver Leaf would be the closest possible match to PS-41 Bright Silver.

That being said, My recommendation would be to use PS paint on the parts you want to match, as it is flexible and resists chipping better than TS paint. TS as mentioned before is designed for smaller static models, and is quite thin/brittle, with more of a focus on preserving fine detail and achieving a smoother finish, rather than durability.

• Like 1

Thanks. I am thinking that might be my best option after some hunting around. Or, black spoiler and wing mirrors to contrast the silver body...

AS-12 Bare Metal Silver

If you are not looking for PS paints, you are not limited to TS but also the AS range. 

2 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

AS-12 Bare Metal Silver

If you are not looking for PS paints, you are not limited to TS but also the AS range. 

Is AS acrylic?   If enamel, I'd like to try it.  

I've not tried any of Tamiya's enamels.. how are they?  

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Is AS acrylic?   If enamel, I'd like to try it.  

I've not tried any of Tamiya's enamels.. how are they?  

No, it is lacquer just like TS range. I don't think their enamels come in spray but if you airbrush, I heard they are good. Personally only use acrylics and lacquer, mainly Tamiya X/XF and Mr Color with occasional Vallejo, Mig and Revell Aqua. 

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/blog/article/are-tamiya-sprays-acylic/

A reverse question I have, if you know the answer, is, what are Tamiya PS paints? They can, apparently, damage polystyrene. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

No, it is lacquer just like TS range. I don't think their enamels come in spray but if you airbrush, I heard they are good. Personally only use acrylics and lacquer, mainly Tamiya X/XF and Mr Color with occasional Vallejo, Mig and Revell Aqua. 

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/blog/article/are-tamiya-sprays-acylic/

A reverse question I have, if you know the answer, is, what are Tamiya PS paints? They can, apparently, damage polystyrene. 

Lacquer sounds good (AS paint). 

I only use enamel for brush painting so no need for it to be a spray.. most enamel sprays take too long to dry for me as I like to push the drying to its shortest limits.  However, it sounds like Tamiya's enamel was made for air brush so would be too thin for brush painting for me, probably.

I do not know what PS is either... last week I tried an old smoke spray for lexan onto some clear plastic and it did not come off with laquer thinner or enamel thinner.. 

I guess I'll just stick to what I know which is TS, X/XF, and Testors enamels.   

Just now, Willy iine said:

However, it sounds like Tamiya's enamel was made for air brush so would be too thin for brush painting for me, probably.   

Sorry, I do not use enamel, Tamiya or otherwise, so don't take my word for it. My friend uses it for washes though.