Ryz82

How to measure body mounts (magnetic)

Hey All,

Looking for some support, advice, tips on how to successfully measure and trim body mount posts when using magnetic mounts.

In terms of aligning the magnets to glue inside the shell, I'm pretty confident in once the body is completed, using either tape and other magnets to position before gluing. What I'm looking for is how best to trim the height of the body mounts initially, so that once I attach the magnetic mount, the body sits flush/straight.

Chassis: TT-02R

Magnetic Mounts: Sit over the normal body mount poles, and use body pin to secure. Obviously the mount will need to trimmed/shortened.

136761.jpg.9a95f8e3f4265360bfd00c90221a0e61.jpg

What's the best approach here ? Obviously sitting the body on top like you would for marking holes wont work. Is it simply a matter sitting the body next to car, and taking a best guess/judgement via eye ? Or should I just trim, test mount, trim, test mount .. until I get right height.

10 hours ago, Ryz82 said:

Hey All,

Looking for some support, advice, tips on how to successfully measure and trim body mount posts when using magnetic mounts.

In terms of aligning the magnets to glue inside the shell, I'm pretty confident in once the body is completed, using either tape and other magnets to position before gluing. What I'm looking for is how best to trim the height of the body mounts initially, so that once I attach the magnetic mount, the body sits flush/straight.

Chassis: TT-02R

Magnetic Mounts: Sit over the normal body mount poles, and use body pin to secure. Obviously the mount will need to trimmed/shortened.

136761.jpg.9a95f8e3f4265360bfd00c90221a0e61.jpg

What's the best approach here ? Obviously sitting the body on top like you would for marking holes wont work. Is it simply a matter sitting the body next to car, and taking a best guess/judgement via eye ? Or should I just trim, test mount, trim, test mount .. until I get right height.

I think you nailed it. Are you doing the body supplied with the chassis. Makes it easier if you are as the instructions quite often show how much of the posts to cut off. So if you cut to that height it will be too long with the mount fitted, then what ive done is redoce the height of the post one hole at a time, obviously all four at the same time. Again if your using the the right body as you say put the loose magnet on the out side of the body where you want it and the mount will self attach on the inside. Just remember that the loose magnet will eventually be on the inside so will lift the shell slightly. Hope this all makes sense.

Some care required with anything low slung at the front - esp super cars or touring 

There’s only so far you can trim TT02 body posts down before those magnetic mounts have nothing left to bite on - or their diameter fouls the v small gap between the post + front bumper 

Even at their lowest level, you’ll find a sharply raked bonnet rides too high - and you’ve already cut the posts by then … 

There are other (more expensive) solutions but personally I’d stick with posts - which you can trim / bling up with TRF caps if necessary 👍

11 hours ago, SuperChamp82 said:

Some care required with anything low slung at the front - esp super cars or touring 

There’s only so far you can trim TT02 body posts down before those magnetic mounts have nothing left to bite on - or their diameter fouls the v small gap between the post + front bumper 

Even at their lowest level, you’ll find a sharply raked bonnet rides too high - and you’ve already cut the posts by then … 

There are other (more expensive) solutions but personally I’d stick with posts - which you can trim / bling up with TRF caps if necessary 👍

The front clearance was one potential area of concern.

I have two bodies which I will alternate, depending on mood and who I'm out with, when running - at least until I pickup another TT-01/2 kit.

First body is the Tamiya Mustang GT3 (also available in kit form) and the other is a Ford Sierra. Both I think should be good at the front, as they have high bonnets/hoods, but definitely something I will have to keep tabs on.

Using traditional post only with clips/caps I'm not opposed to with the Mustang, as will be more of a basher/runner, but the Sierra body I would like to try and keep clean as possible (hence magnetic mounts) as will be looking to replicate Group A touring car from here in Aus.

16 hours ago, Busdriver said:

I think you nailed it. Are you doing the body supplied with the chassis. Makes it easier if you are as the instructions quite often show how much of the posts to cut off. So if you cut to that height it will be too long with the mount fitted, then what ive done is redoce the height of the post one hole at a time, obviously all four at the same time. Again if your using the the right body as you say put the loose magnet on the out side of the body where you want it and the mount will self attach on the inside. Just remember that the loose magnet will eventually be on the inside so will lift the shell slightly. Hope this all makes sense.

All makes sense, as I expecting the trim, test, trim, test method. Will be picking up a spare set of mounts (whatever spruce from the kit that is) just in case ;) 

13 hours ago, Drifft Do^Urban said:

Lots of how to on YouTube. RC Hobby Shed uses these exact mounts for a TT-01. 

Will have a watch, hopefully, if as you said using the same mounts should be a good reference.

Thanks for the feedback guys, will have a watch of the video, and once I've trimmed the bodies, start a closer look at the positioning and adjusting.

I do have another set of magnetic mounts I purchased at the start of the year - cant seem to find the link to them, I believe they were a Yeah Racing set - which has the bar/brace that goes between the uprights, and the magnets sit on that (if that makes sense).

In any event, these new mounts will be first order of business and possibly fall back to that other set, or worse base I just go back to posts with pins/caps which as as low-line as possible.

Good luck. Let us see the results. If it’s a TT02 you need parts b suspension parts. About £10/11 a set. You get lots of unneeded bits to get 4 posts though!!!

2 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Good luck. Let us see the results. If it’s a TT02 you need parts b suspension parts. About £10/11 a set. You get lots of unneeded bits to get 4 posts though!!!

Cheers.

Will be sure to get a post up once done, probably a few weeks off, as wait for decals to arrive, and do some paint tests.