Xeostar

TD-2 - New Astute

4 hours ago, Blista said:

It's definitely an Astute.

Looks like it will have the sideways battery pack mounting.

This could well be the car I've been waiting for.  I haven't even finished my DT03 yet.  This weekend is painting weekend and now it might need to be sold.  :D

yea the white writing on body even seems to say "astute". towards front end of cockpit. 

9 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

yea the white writing on body even seems to say "astute". towards front end of cockpit. 

If by seems to you mean actually says astute, then yes.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, matisse said:

If by seems to you mean actually says astute, then yes.

lol yea. cant tell 100% for sure but definitely looks to be. along with the same colorway of the original astute. 

• Haha 1

I, for one, welcome our new overlords.

Questionable naming aside, it's great to see that Tamiya is willing to break out of its doomed cycle of re-re-releases and start the creative juices going with all-new models, and ones that don't look like the competition to boot. More variety is always good, and as usual, customers will ultimately vote with their wallets.

One day we will no longer be here, and the rereleases will lose a lot of their attractiveness to buyers without the nostalgia factor. They need new stuff to sell.

• Like 4

Now you see, I just can't stand the TD4 Super aAvante, I don't know why just doesn't click with me, the price of over £300 doesn't help tbh. But a more modern 2wd take on things (as long as it's not £300!!) Then yeah I def dig it. !!! Def more interesting than the TD4 imo. 

James.

Nice new models I sure hope you don't need to disassembly all that stuff and take out two screws like the 4wd version because that's crazy and I think they could have did better on the design to get the battery in and out.

36 minutes ago, InsaneJim69 said:

Now you see, I just can't stand the TD4 Super aAvante, I don't know why just doesn't click with me, the price of over £300 doesn't help tbh. But a more modern 2wd take on things (as long as it's not £300!!) Then yeah I def dig it. !!! Def more interesting than the TD4 imo. 

James.

but it's likely to be mostly the same thing, just 2wd and the same price.......so i'm super interested why as a 4wd it inspires marmite style hatred, yet as a 2wd we all seem to be into it at the moment. apart from @Gazzalene obvs

• Like 2

3 hours ago, matisse said:

amazed at how the fenders and body style, which lets face it are both basically the Avante with a few tweaks are getting less hate for this version.........

maybe we're all just used to this look now.

For me at least, it's the proportions, not the style per se. The proportions of the super avante body are all wrong - not pleasing to the eye at all. The proportions of this new astute look much better - at least from the few, (intentionally) poorly lit shots of it we have so far. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, matisse said:

but it's likely to be mostly the same thing, just 2wd and the same price.......so i'm super interested why as a 4wd it inspires marmite style hatred, yet as a 2wd we all seem to be into it at the moment. apart from @Gazzalene obvs

No hatred for the TD4 from me. In fact I think it looks good. I am just confused as to why it would be £300+ for an entry level at best 4wd buggy. 🤔

James.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, InsaneJim69 said:

No hatred for the TD4 from me. In fact I think it looks good. I am just confused as to why it would be £300+ for an entry level at best 4wd buggy. 🤔

I wrote an explanation of this here.

• Like 2

I really like the look of it so far. I think if this had been released before the TD-4 I wouldn't have bothered with both. But, now I'm looking forward to a new 4wd and 2wd buggy, that share parts. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come from Tamiya.

I wonder if the front wheels will be standard 2wd star dishes, or whether they will be new 12mm hex versions!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gazzalene said:

Don't tell me. Another new Tamiya kit. So that means it will have a "old classic" name on it. They have done the "super avante" so this 2 wd will be the "super/new Astute" Its a joke and many fall for it. Go buy a new Astute. Shamia could have had integrity and called both new cars original names BUT only want to grab guys money thinking they have a Avante or astute which they do NOT. Those cars have been and gone and never will be bettered for style and originality,like the hot shot and bigwig.

Just waiting for the super-duper bigwig and super-duper hot shot. They will give them a few easy Yen/dollars.

People can buy it and call it anything they want. Call it Bill or George or anything but Astute.

Tamiya owns the names and will wield them as they wish.

Everybody knows the Challenger is nothing more than a Daimler parts-bin car, but they sell all the same.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, matisse said:

But it's likely to be mostly the same thing, just 2wd and the same price.

Modern race buggies have completely different chassis designs for 2WD and 4WD, yet have a simple naming convention; YZ2 or YZ4, XB2 or XB4.

Just because it's called a TD2 doesn't imply that it's simply some gutted 4WD chassis.

You should pay a lot less for a 2WD.

Well. this is certainly interesting news! I can't wait to see more pics of it! Looks like we've already checked off the "I hate the name" bingo square. I'm waiting for the "it's ugly" and "it's overpriced" comments to check those ones off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Gazzalene said:

Don't tell me. Another new Tamiya kit. So that means it will have a "old classic" name on it. They have done the "super avante" so this 2 wd will be the "super/new Astute" Its a joke and many fall for it. Go buy a new Astute. Shamia could have had integrity and called both new cars original names BUT only want to grab guys money thinking they have a Avante or astute which they do NOT. Those cars have been and gone and never will be bettered for style and originality,like the hot shot and bigwig.

Just waiting for the super-duper bigwig and super-duper hot shot. They will give them a few easy Yen/dollars.

They are just following 1:1 naming conventions.  The Chevy Suburban has been around since the 30's, The Corvette since the 50's etc.  Better go tell Porsche the 911 is a joke because they named it 911, even though it isn't the original.

Personally I don't like the Astute name, it doesn't really conjure up any images that I associate with buggys or cars or racing or anything, but at least it isn't another combination of 'Fighter' or 'Racing'.  Avoiding 'Super' or 'Buggy' would be super too; Just call it the TD2 Astute. 

1 hour ago, mastino said:

I want It.

That's what she said:ph34r:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sir Crashalot said:

Modern race buggies have completely different chassis designs for 2WD and 4WD, yet have a simple naming convention; YZ2 or YZ4, XB2 or XB4.

Just because it's called a TD2 doesn't imply that it's simply some gutted 4WD chassis.

You should pay a lot less for a 2WD.

This is fair, but also doesn’t feel right, even from that teaser vid you can see that the design cues are very similar, same shock tower, inboard front suspension, same wing (and probably mounts).

As a mid ship transverse motor car the TD4 was on trend for 2wd set up anyway and the front bulkhead construction  makes it easy to see how a few new parts can be made to remove the gear box but keep the same chassis pan/arms/hubs etc.

it may be cheaper, but I’d be surprised if the RRP over here wasn’t in the £300+ range tbh, with it dipping under that marks at most webshops.

I wonder if you will be able to switch bodies between them? Personally I really like the look. Although the TD 4 was original I like the straighter more agressive lines on this. 

Think it's great they are releasing more models.

• Like 1

The fenders will probably suit this body less than the Avante but that's an easy fix.  I hope the dampers are the same size as a pair from a Neo Scorcher because I'd like to add some yellow.

I'd also like it if they got a bit more generous with their stickers.  The simple red text on the wing does nothing for me.  I'd like a second option for something a bit bolder and more like the original version.

So, if there's now a new 2WD and 4WD buggy done then perhaps a modern monster truck chassis will be next in development?  A stadium truck version of the TD2 would be interesting but would that make it an STD?  ;)

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Blista said:

The fenders will probably suit this body less than the Avante but that's an easy fix.  I hope the dampers are the same size as a pair from a Neo Scorcher because I'd like to add some yellow.

I'd also like it if they got a bit more generous with their stickers.  The simple red text on the wing does nothing for me.  I'd like a second option for something a bit bolder and more like the original version.

So, if there's now a new 2WD and 4WD buggy done then perhaps a modern monster truck chassis will be next in development?  A stadium truck version of the TD2 would be interesting but would that make it an STD?  ;)

They seem to be finding ways for the TT02/DF03 shocks to fit these new biggies based on what we know about the TD4, so I’d say that yes yellow shocks can be done

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matisse said:

This is fair, but also doesn’t feel right, even from that teaser vid you can see that the design cues are very similar, same shock tower, inboard front suspension, same wing (and probably mounts).

OK. The same thing could be said for any manufacturers 2WD and 4WD buggy pairs. Some parts are the same or similar, most parts are completely different. The chassis being the most obvious.

2 hours ago, matisse said:

As a mid ship transverse motor car the TD4 was on trend for 2wd set up anyway and the front bulkhead construction  makes it easy to see how a few new parts can be made to remove the gear box but keep the same chassis pan/arms/hubs etc.

Mid-ship transverse motor 4WD's have been around since the late 80's!

There has never been a 2WD buggy made based off a 4WD chassis. If this is some new modular design for Tamiya, good for them.

• Like 1

Coming from a confirmed non buggy type of guy I love the TD4 and TD2. I love the lack of front suspension towers and a proper nose make it look real and futuristic. I have preordered the TD4 and will do the same for the 2. Frankly I don’t care a stuff what it’s called. Just take the Mustang as an example. There have been some dogs and some masterpieces!!! I say Well done Tamiya, not another re re but something new and different. Now all they need to do is get them both to suppliers in sufficient quantities 🤞🏻

• Like 5