Xeostar

TD-2 - New Astute

My hunch for next tamiya release is a 2wd monster truck with slightly modificated TD4 chassis and body and they are going to name it Super monster Beetle. The new TD2 astute body looks better compared to TD4, i think because they manage to incorporate Astute original design to this new body, compared to just slapped avante name to a mini4wd based body design aka eleglitter.

43 minutes ago, Sir Crashalot said:

OK. The same thing could be said for any manufacturers 2WD and 4WD buggy pairs. Some parts are the same or similar, most parts are completely different. The chassis being the most obvious.

Mid-ship transverse motor 4WD's have been around since the late 80's!

There has never been a 2WD buggy made based off a 4WD chassis. If this is some new modular design for Tamiya, good for them.

I know! Good of the 2wd crowd to catch on finally ;)

id never say never, but at least we’ve not seen a big manufacturer use a common platform for a 2wd and 4wd.  Kind of excited to see if they go this route.

Like @Busdriver, I’m not a buggy guy but pre-ordered the TD4 because it is…different. I like the look of this new TD2 body far more but I will have a TD4 and a Hornet (and HotShot and Frog to restore) so I could easily give it a miss.

I am interested to see if it will have a different steering arrangement to the TD4 and how the battery is set up.

Given that I will not club racing and the car is unlikely to see a track, I’m keen see if the TD2 body and battery placement can be transferred to the TD4 for more pleasing aesthetics and easier charging.

An Astvante? Or Avute?

I'm liking the look of this. But then again, I've done a u-turn on the Super Avante and like that too. :P

• Haha 1

Tamiya have done an amazing job of making me pre-order another buggy before I've even received the last one they released!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Oh I really want one of these.

If only I hadn't just blown the next 3 years RC budget on vintage stuff, I could buy one without the Mrs selling me to a glue factory.

Risk vs reward.......Hmmmm.....

• Haha 4

This should/must be better than the original Astute and Super Astute. If not, then it's another joke.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

BkGvVCr.png

Clear windows on the front sides to see the shocks.  You get that indication from the black & white image from the start of the video too.

I'm still holding fire on the TD4 as I'd really love to see one in the flesh/plastic first and get a bit more feedback on the steering/battery arrangements, but I have to say, this is speaking to me a lot more. I'm not sure if it's just down to the colour scheme being a lot more appealing than the TD4, or I'm just a sucker for the Astute, or both. The fenders would have to go - they make the front look like a Morgan 3 wheeler (which is a great looking car, just not this style) but otherwise I'm really liking it. And, as some others have said, even if it's not quite there, it's nice to see Tamiya investing in some interesting new designs rather than just churn out re-releases and comicals.

• Like 4

The more I look at it the more I like it. I really like the laid down front shocks. I find lots of modern buggies just don't make sense to me, as there are massive shocks in front of where the driver would look out. 

The laid down shocks and angular side pods give a sort of F1 vibe, very cool!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

The more I look at it the more I like it. I really like the laid down front shocks. I find lots of modern buggies just don't make sense to me, as there are massive shocks in front of where the driver would look out. 

The laid down shocks and angular side pods give a sort of F1 vibe, very cool!

Yeah this is why I love the Hotshot. Can’t wait for this!

Paint this puppy white and call it the Neo Striker with those side pods!  Seriously though, side shot looks good. Interested to see more details.

• Like 3

On 10/18/2021 at 7:02 PM, nowinaminute said:

Brightened up a bit

BkGvVCr.png

Looks great ... Apart from the stupid looking front fenders!! What were they thinking with those. Def looks more promising than the TD4 imo. 👍

James.

• Like 1

I imagine they were thinking that they like them. I like them too.

Very different from anything else. Which I also like.

• Like 4

So are they going to do the same slow release they did with the TD4?  Seems like they will miss Christmas season then. :(  TD4s are likely stuck in port waiting to be unloaded, all the more reason to send the TD2 over NOW!!! :D

Anybody seen a detailed shot of the TD4 chassis interior?  I'm wondering if they're using the same chassis mold for the TD2 and if so will it be possible to have a standard sized servo on its side for steering.  No lengthwise battery or prop shaft opens up a lot of real estate up front.  Ditching the TD4 steering setup for something more direct will make me a lot happier.

3 hours ago, Blista said:

I'm wondering if they're using the same chassis mold for the TD2 and if so will it be possible to have a standard sized servo on its side for steering

There are unused holes on the opposite side to servo mounts on the TD-4 tub - I guess these will be used for TD2 - if they'll only replace L-parts to make it 2wd, steering will be similar system to TD4, as its parts are present on K-parts tree.