Xeostar

TD-2 - New Astute

2 minutes ago, InsaneJim69 said:

Any ideas on the RRP on the TD2? Really tempted tbh, but not if it's £300+ GBP. Like the TD4. Hoping for around £240 or so (I know wishful thinking!!)

James.

With fewer moving parts, one would hope. But the design and tooling required for two distinct front ends don't leave me hopeful. The market expects to pay less for a sub-race grade RWD, though, so hopefully they'll price accordingly.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 4:43 AM, kontemax said:

I have never seen so much monstrosity in a single image.

Max

The Astute shell looks the better of the 2. That Avante with all its cutouts trying to bring emphasis and attention to the inner workings, ergh. 

Hopefully as someone suggested in the other Avante thread, they release some up scaled Mini4WD bodies for them, or something, cos dam, as good as the chassis may end up being, not sure i could stomach those myself either, particularly if the trend of pre-painted bodies continues with these kits ... a custom paint job might hide some of the hideousness.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ryz82 said:

The Astute shell looks the better of the 2. That Avante with all its cutouts trying to bring emphasis and attention to the inner workings, ergh. 

Hopefully as someone suggested in the other Avante thread, they release some up scaled Mini4WD bodies for them, or something, cos dam, as good as the chassis may end up being, not sure i could stomach those myself either, particularly if the trend of pre-painted bodies continues with these kits ... a custom paint job might hide some of the hideousness.

No matter about the paint job, only a custom body could hide better the ugliness.

Max

• Haha 1

Maybe a Sonic Fighter body adapted to this chassis would be a better choice than the original bodies.
You know what I mean.

Max

• Like 1

Australian stores have announced this for pre-order just a couple of days ago. Price is higher than the 45th Anniversary Porsche. <_<

9 hours ago, Zealot said:

Australian stores have announced this for pre-order just a couple of days ago. Price is higher than the 45th Anniversary Porsche. <_<

Nothing in the UK yet?

16 hours ago, Zealot said:

What's the Aus price mate?

On 11/3/2021 at 6:02 PM, kontemax said:

I studied too much history of art, design, color theory, modelling, shaping theory, graphic design, photography, visual arts, theatre and cinema in my life to do not recognize beautiness and ugliness.
And this is pure ugliness, believe me.
Max

I respectfully but firmly disagree with this. It's the first time I dare calling somebody on what they said, but this one really doesn't sit well with me.

I doubt that any amount of studies can grant a person the right to such sweeping statement. Especially in this context: we are not discussing the Renaissance here, or Seurat's Pointillism technique. It's about a new remote controlled car. For our hobby. I believe that, at least in this case, we ought to relax and let the ultimate judgement on its aesthetics be subjective.

I too have studied my fair share in the artistic field. Nothing crazy, so probably not as much as you, but enough that now I do art for a living. Despite that, I don't dislike the TD2 and TD4. Well, to be fair at this point let me elaborate: I think that if compared to their predecessors they don't stand a chance, and yes the thought of comparing the TD4 with the original Avante is in itself a monstruosity to me too, but, taken into their own context and without such comparisons I quite like them. Am I to somehow feel less of a valid artist, just because of that? I dare say not.

Anyway, when it comes to the mere looks of an RC car, we should all have the right to express our opinion without having to feel like we are wrong.

So you can hate the new releases all you want and of course I'm perfectly fine with it, but I'll defend my right to say I like them without being called on my color theory.

I gusti son gusti, indeed. Or, since I'm Italian as well, as we say where I am from, "ognuno ha i suoi gusti" (which translates into "To each his own").

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Ferruz said:

I respectfully but firmly disagree with this. It's the first time I dare calling somebody on what they said, but this one really doesn't sit well with me.

I doubt that any amount of studies can grant a person the right to such sweeping statement. Especially in this context: we are not discussing the Renaissance here, or Seurat's Pointillism technique. It's about a new remote controlled car. For our hobby. I believe that, at least in this case, we ought to relax and let the ultimate judgement on its aesthetics be subjective.

I too have studied my fair share in the artistic field. Nothing crazy, so probably not as much as you, but enough that now I do art for a living. Despite that, I don't dislike the TD2 and TD4. Well, to be fair at this point let me elaborate: I think that if compared to their predecessors they don't stand a chance, and yes the thought of comparing the TD4 with the original Avante is in itself a monstruosity to me too, but, taken into their own context and without such comparisons I quite like them. Am I to somehow feel less of a valid artist, just because of that? I dare say not.

Anyway, when it comes to the mere looks of an RC car, we should all have the right to express our opinion without having to feel like we are wrong.

So you can hate the new releases all you want and of course I'm perfectly fine with it, but I'll defend my right to say I like them without being called on my color theory.

I gusti son gusti, indeed. Or, since I'm Italian as well, as we say where I am from, "ognuno ha i suoi gusti" (which translates into "To each his own").

This, so much this. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, matisse said:

This, so much this. 

User name checks out too! 🤣

• Haha 2

Bit pricey, but I guess it’s a completely new chassis and they’ve put the time and effort into developing it, we hope. 😂.  It’s going to be on my list I prefer it to the TD4 just my opinion. 

6 hours ago, Seanster43 said:

Bit pricey, but I guess it’s a completely new chassis and they’ve put the time and effort into developing it, we hope. 😂.  It’s going to be on my list I prefer it to the TD4 just my opinion. 

Lets just hope Tamiya doesn't make the same mistakes like they did when the DB-02 Leonis came out. That was supposed to be a revolutionary kit too, but they priced it so high no one wanted it, not to mention it needed hop-ups right out of the box. I'd definitely take an Astute TD-2 over the SA TD-4 any day, but the pricing must be inline, or no more than the new Blockhead Wild One for me to purchase one.

• Like 2

I personally consider the TD4 and TD2 paintjobs not bad, but far from being Tamiya's best. As far as the body shape itself, a new body is also a new blank canvas for any artist to work with and create something great. The part that I really do like is that we are finally getting box-art (TD4 at least), instead of the insipid photos used with new releases. I hope it's a trend Tamiya continues.  

On 11/4/2021 at 6:02 AM, kontemax said:

Thank you. I studied too much history of art, design, color theory, modelling, shaping theory, graphic design, photography, visual arts, theatre and cinema in my life to do not recognize beautiness and ugliness.
And this is pure ugliness, believe me.
Max

Not a direct match, but somehow reminds me of the joke:

A guy walks into an art exhibition of a renowned painter. Looks at one picture, says "junk". Walks to the next picture, says "junk". One by one, "junk, junk, junk". The artist notices the guy and challenges him: "what makes you think you are an expert in art?" The guy responds: "You misunderstand, I don't pretend to be an expert in art, I am an expert in junk!".

I agree with the other comments that art studies does not mean an opinion is above others, but I'll admit I find @kontemax posts humorous :) in the context we all understand that it is an individual's opinion and we all have one. I also think it is important for Tamiya to receive all feedback, not just feedback stating that their product is awesome. Having said that, I can't recall a Tamiya release creating such debate before (maybe I haven't been around long enough?).

• Like 3

How do you guys think the handling of the TD-4 and TD-2 would compare against Tamiya's current non-ReRe offerings?

I have a TT-02B and a DT-03 already and would only justify the purchase, unless heavily discounted, if there is a significant difference in handling/performance.

5 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

How do you guys think the handling of the TD-4 and TD-2 would compare against Tamiya's current non-ReRe offerings?

I have a TT-02B and a DT-03 already and would only justify the purchase, unless heavily discounted, if there is a significant difference in handling/performance.

Assuming there are no design or fabrication mess ups they will be significantly more robust. Handling, dunno, but the DT and TT chassis are ancient by RC standards.

proof will be in the eating. 

• Like 1

As it stands at the moment there are a very small amount of people on the planet who have got their hands on the TD4 so the vast majority of us are just looking at the many many pictures and equally many videos! to be honest im getting a bit bored with this now ! and putting it in its basic form obviously the TD2 is a 2wd version of the TD4 (thats as much of an opinion I can honestly give at the moment) we can all have our own opinion on these kits and rightly so but until the vast majority and not the minority get the kit it's all substantiated opinions!..........so tamiya/or importers I think we've all had enough of the many pictures and videos of the super avante and the different paint schemes just get them in the shops so we can all have a proper justified option on the way tamiya is going with this series of chassis!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, moffman said:

As it stands at the moment there are a very small amount of people on the planet who have got their hands on the TD4 so the vast majority of us are just looking at the many many pictures and equally many videos! to be honest im getting a bit bored with this now ! and putting it in its basic form obviously the TD2 is a 2wd version of the TD4 (thats as much of an opinion I can honestly give at the moment) we can all have our own opinion on these kits and rightly so but until the vast majority and not the minority get the kit it's all substantiated opinions!..........so tamiya/or importers I think we've all had enough of the many pictures and videos of the super avante and the different paint schemes just get them in the shops so we can all have a proper justified option on the way tamiya is going with this series of chassis!

Here here!!!!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hobbimaster said:

not to mention it needed hop-ups right out of the box.

My favourite kind of Tamiya. Hop Ups are great 😁

5 hours ago, moffman said:

just get them in the shops

There's nothing they can do, international shipping is a mess right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Gecko said:

Oh man, it is. A couple of Insider articles quoted experts as believing it will last well into 2023. The TD2 is probably anchored off the port of LA/Long Beach right now! I’ve considered buying a cheap kit just to satisfy my build itch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Gecko said:

Yeah you maybe right and we can all understand and make allowances for that mess! But they (not just tamiya all other manufacturers) can only use that excuse for so long then it will just wear pretty thin pretty quickly!