Xeostar

TD-2 - New Astute

2 hours ago, Albert Attaboy said:

Which Tamiya doesn't?

Now that you mention it, the Tamiya Egress, Top Force, and all TRF cars are the only ones I can think of that need nothing out of the box.

On 11/13/2021 at 7:57 PM, IoMTom said:

User name checks out too! 🤣

Fra Norge? MÃ¥ Tisse :), either way it checked very out in Norwegian

• Like 1

I've looked at some Tamiyas from the Past and there are a lot of Sets that i think look ugly.

But while Time goes by, the ugly Sets grow on me. When i see them often i find them less ugly at some Point.

There are Sets that everyone love and i think they look messed up like the Mad Cap or the Manta Ray.

I think the new Astute will also grow on me. I think it looks better than the Mad Cap.

• Like 1

Mokei Kagaku just posted this on FB

255502119_4334024810057755_8283096520342

58697 Astute 2022 (TD2 chassis)

Description:
Tamiya is proud to announce a new 1/10 R/C off-road buggy model based upon the brand new TD2 chassis.
The newly designed stylish body is produced by Kota Nezu who penned that of the recently released Super Avante.

About the model:
• This is a 1/10 R/C assembly kit. Length: 387mm, width: 246mm. Wheelbase: 283mm.
• The distinctive polycarbonate body is designed by Japanese designer Kota Nezu of znug design.
• The new TD2 chassis based around the TD4 chassis employs an front inboard suspension layout which offers exceptionally slim, low-profile form. Also, its front suspension arms have a skid angle of 25 degrees for superlative ground-hugging and stable performance off-road, plus angled CVA oil dampers to allow smooth suspension movement.
• The chassis based on the one-piece monocoque frame uses the same ball differentials as the ones of the TD4 chassis, plus full ball bearings, and features a transverse battery pack positioned to the rear and a midship transverse motor with 3 gears connecting it to the drivetrain for optimum balance and improved performance.
• Ribbed front and rear square spike tires facilitate stability and great grip. The newly designed star dish design front wheels are attached by hex hubs.
• The 4-wheel double wishbone suspension system uses CVA oil dampers for superlative performance.
• Choose between high and low type wing stays to adjust the downforce depending on the road surface.
• Comes with a driver figure who gives your buggy a realistic look, and high-torque servo saver.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, whahooo said:

I've looked at some Tamiyas from the Past and there are a lot of Sets that i think look ugly.

But while Time goes by, the ugly Sets grow on me. When i see them often i find them less ugly at some Point.

There are Sets that everyone love and i think they look messed up like the Mad Cap or the Manta Ray.

I think the new Astute will also grow on me. I think it looks better than the Mad Cap

Very good point and one whose effect I attribute to the cause of much greatness, yet also evil.....the advent of the internet. Lets take the Manta Ray for example (also because I happen to like the looks of the Madcap, but everyone's entitled to their opinion :)). The Manta Ray has rather interesting looks and because its a classic and time has gone by before the internet came about, we've all mellowed a bit on its appearance. I'm sure some still dislike its appearance (I'm on the fence, myself) but the vehemence is reduced. The internet allows our "gut" or visceral reaction to seeing the introduction of these cars to be put on display to other Tamiya enthusiast with the stroke of a few keys. Had the Manta Ray been introduced today, its possible we might have not been very kind to it at first, on average.

• Like 1

I certainly don't want to be the arbiter to dictate whether the Super Avante and Astute 2022 look good or not and I happy for those of you who like them and/or are interested in the chassises themselves regardless of the body designs. That said, I personally dislike both very much and they are among relatively few tamiya RC models that never will make it on my "wish list". I could elaborate why, but that would only be a rehash of many of the earlier posts in this thread. 

That said, I can't resist commenting that the body designs look unimaginative, outdated and very boring in my opinion. Namewise, they may not really stand of the shoulders of giants, but I still think Tamiya is abusing their own heritage by having the names Astute and Avante in the names of the (first) TD2 and TD4. Also, looking at the bodies, I get the unpleasant feeling that I've kind of seen them before, thereby contributing to my opinion of the designs as unimaginative and outdated.

256791019_1030631417791956_7179511126163397003_n.png

257952622_1003466110219837_6920626148033693192_n.png

• Like 7

New in this thread (and no budget for a TD2 or TD4) I think it is difficult to say if the body style of both cars is good or not good. It all depends on how the car looks when you have it in front of you. Also the livery and colors will have an influence on the looks. Coming form the aircraft industry my first reaction was: wow cars with a jet fighter style bubble canopy. And I think if one of the body's is painted like a light grey US jet fighter it will look stunning. So let's wait what we will see the coming months.

US fighter jet crashes into sea off UK coast | News | DW | 15.06.2020

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, No Slack said:

New in this thread (and no budget for a TD2 or TD4) I think it is difficult to say if the body style of both cars is good or not good. It all depends on how the car looks when you have it in front of you. Also the livery and colors will have an influence on the looks. Coming form the aircraft industry my first reaction was: wow cars with a jet fighter style bubble canopy. And I think if one of the body's is painted like a light grey US jet fighter it will look stunning. So let's wait what we will see the coming months.

Good points! And after all, Tamiya did this in the past with the Sonic Fighter . Because of the similarities in the body designs of the Sonic Fighter and Keen Hawk, I made "a homage to the ugly duckling" some year ago. First as a "hi vis" version like the Sonic Fighter and I intended to make a "lo vis" version too (like the US Navy did with their planes too), but still haven't painted it. Got Sonic Fighter stickers in "lo vis" colours from MCI though.

1522719_426705967456345_1605522603_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Is there a Thread for "ugly" Tamiyas?

There are 2 Tamiyas i didn't like at first, but now i love 'em. Thats the Top Force and the Big Wig.

The Egress, Mad Cap, Sonic Fighter, Saint Dragon, thunder Dragon and Fire Dragon, Dual Hunter an Vajera will probably never be exepted by me.

• Confused 1

I think the Top Force is ugly but in a good way.  It's like a shovel and a submarine had a child.  :lol:

Looking at the TD2, the main problem I can see is that the front is too heavy looking.  Ditching the fenders and slimmer front tyres might help.  You're stuck with the thick front arms but there's not much can easily be done to cure that.

• Haha 3

@Mokei Kagaku

If these were on-road chassis they would have left it at TD-2/TD-4. But since they are off-road and bodies are a specific fit, they felt the need to name them something. 

We all seem to be more sensitive to their usage of names. They don’t seem to really care as they have shown.

Im glad for these releases,  while they are not perfect and have some less than desirable features, it shows they are still trying new things. I also appreciate the improvement in build quality and usage of higher quality plastic 

• Like 1

Just now, Raman36 said:

I also appreciate the improvement in build quality and usage of higher quality plastic 

Definitely. It's all to easy to criticise new stuff, but I'm thankful that they didn't just copy the current crop of race buggies. I guess that's why we all like Tamiya... because they just do their own thing regardless of critics.

• Like 2

It's certainly not the prettiest car Tamiya have ever released, but it could have been worse.  Is there a chance that it was based on this mini 4WD?

top700

Pre ordered from Fusion along with the universals, and the metal diff nut I forgot for the TD4 

EDIT: £259 less 10% subscribers discount so £233

Edited by Busdriver
Additional info
  • Like 2

Stellan Models have the best kit price but shipping is killing it, they had Super Avante for 234$ (mark dollar), but when shipping is 80-100$ it does not help much.

They have hardly anything in stock now, theu must be in some sort of trouble