Xeostar

TD-2 - New Astute

21 hours ago, RichieRich said:

I'm wondering the same. Seems you can preorder everywhere except in the US.

I've been checking TH daily, but no dice thus far. 

• Like 1

Looks as good as the super avante IMO! but the Optima mid is making an appearance (apparently) roughly the same time so unfortunately my pennies are going on that! 

23 hours ago, moffman said:

Looks as good as the super avante IMO! but the Optima mid is making an appearance (apparently) roughly the same time so unfortunately my pennies are going on that! 

Oh great, thanks for reminding me! Decisions, decisions...

• Haha 1

Hmm. According to the video, the front shocks bottom out before the chassis does. I guess its just like the Super Astute in that regard (but just not as good looking :ph34r:). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Hmm. According to the video, the front shocks bottom out before the chassis does. I guess its just like the Super Astute in that regard (but just not as good looking :ph34r:). 

Noticed that as well..   It means the those (quite good in fact) plastic CVA shocks will absorb most of the force from a frontal landing.  Still..  looks like the front end is plenty stiff and reinforced.  

@moffman @RichieRich  I'm with you on the fence about deciding to spend coin on either this or an Optima Mid.  What makes me pause on both however, is that I skipped the Kyosho re-release of the Optima and purchased the Turbo Optima instead.  The build is to date the most enjoyable I've in over 40 years of RC, and the end result is jewel-like that will only see very rare runs on perfect days on open asphalt.  I think I'll hold out hope for a Turbo Optima Mid and do the same.  This new Astute is surely meant to be run and is unique, but I've got that in the TD4 already.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I wondered if fitting a chassis protector plate would solve that. Looks like it needs one anyway. Thick piece of polycarbonate would close the mm gap between the chassis and the ground.

Alternately tweak the geometry so it bottoms out on the chassis before the shocks should be straight forward.

10 hours ago, Saito2 said:

If the DF03 shocks are an option that will probably solve it. They have about 5mm more stroke than the mini CVA. 

It looks like there is a second set of mounting holes for the shocks on the chassis (about 5:30 in video) - it might only change the shock "height" ~5mm, but it may be enough.  It looks like that would expose the front arms to the ground more than the chassis (~14:30 in video), so a skid would be appreciated.

So who else is getting excited about the TD2??? The recent videos from Tamiya have me considering a pre-order again. I just worry that it is going to need a load of those hop ups to make it perform well.

I do like that body shell though 🤔🧐

1 hour ago, Misterp180 said:

I just worry that it is going to need a load of those hop ups to make it perform well

You mean like with the TD4? I am afraid you are right...

• Sad 2

20 hours ago, Misterp180 said:

So who else is getting excited about the TD2??? The recent videos from Tamiya have me considering a pre-order again. I just worry that it is going to need a load of those hop ups to make it perform well.

I am pretty put off by the price. $275 for a 2wd car that isn't a Top Force? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Misterp180 said:

2 hours ago, A-Baum said:

It is a better quality kit going by my experience of the td4. Better plastics, more precise engineering of plastics, bearings spring to mind. But yeah top force is hard to beat, it’s a great all round car.

from other comments- not sure the TD2 needs hop ups? Slipper clutch maybe- not convinced it needs anything else for most people.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, A-Baum said:

That it what I thought! I picked up a Kyosho Ultima rerelease for the same price as the TD2 here in the Uk. I am still interesting the the TD2 chassis though but might hold off until the early reviews are in. Just picking up the slipper and the universal drive shafts will put it well above the £300 mark!

4 hours ago, A-Baum said:

Yes, that’s a fair argument! The Astute’s appeal for me is parts being readily available for some time. I’ve also been impressed by its handling and drive style in a few videos I’ve seen. I still dislike the look of it too much though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alangt4 said:

It is a better quality kit going by my experience of the td4. Better plastics, more precise engineering of plastics, bearings spring to mind. But yeah top force is hard to beat, it’s a great all round car.

from other comments- not sure the TD2 needs hop ups? Slipper clutch maybe- not convinced it needs anything else for most people.

How would you rate the TD4 against the other Tamiya 4wd chassis? 

13 hours ago, Misterp180 said:

How would you rate the TD4 against the other Tamiya 4wd chassis? 

I don’t have any of the TRF buggies but it is quality wise much superior to the other typical Tamiya buggies. It is also pretty robust and benefits from being a newer design.

Handling wise- I’m not sure between the top force evolution and the TD4. Need more time testing them back to back. Top force I know well, TD4 a little tweaking still I think will get more from it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TD4 will eat up jumps that would destroy a Top Force (and other chassis of that era); same with a TD2 and an Astute variant (original, Super, Madcap etc). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Howards said:

TD4 will eat up jumps that would destroy a Top Force (and other chassis of that era); same with a TD2 and an Astute variant (original, Super, Madcap etc). 

Yes that’s right- top force and others will only handle smaller jumps and always a risk at that.

18 hours ago, GeeWings said:

. I still dislike the look of it too much though.

Same here. Not sure what it is. Like an off-road formula 1 look?  Not sure what but I don't love it. Maybe they'll release some new kits/bodies on the chassis that I'll like more.

12 hours ago, A-Baum said:

Same here. Not sure what it is. Like an off-road formula 1 look?  Not sure what but I don't love it. Maybe they'll release some new kits/bodies on the chassis that I'll like more.

Yes. I also saw somewhere someone had fitted the old Avante shell on the TD4. I guess as time goes by there will be more options.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GeeWings said:

I still dislike the look of it too much though.

Looks not bad when you dont go box art. not my td4 images found online.

271874026_300436905353452_2420168570703041516_n.jpg

270041114_10159687275118187_7587979452922508646_n.jpg

272999046_10166441090505650_6436093245680366271_n.jpg

• Like 7