Xeostar

TD-2 - New Astute

9 hours ago, Alangt4 said:

I don’t have any of the TRF buggies but it is quality wise much superior to the other typical Tamiya buggies. It is also pretty robust and benefits from being a newer design.

Handling wise- I’m not sure between the top force evolution and the TD4. Need more time testing them back to back. Top force I know well, TD4 a little tweaking still I think will get more from it.

Thanks for your views buddy. That is something I hadn’t considered…durability! I am going to give both chassis’s another view 👍🏻

16 minutes ago, DaveBuildsRC said:

271874026_300436905353452_2420168570703041516_n.jpg

That looks entirely tolerable to me now. I could almost see myself giving the TD4 a try now. Almost.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Howards said:

It’s interesting how altering the canopy masking completely changes the vibe on that ^

truth.  kinda wish i had done it to mine

23 hours ago, Saito2 said:

That looks entirely tolerable to me now. I could almost see myself giving the TD4 a try now. Almost.

That’s amazing. I had thought about making it an open cockpit on mine but bottled out when it came to. Worst case buy a new body if it’s horrible!!

My curiosity got the better of me so I pre-ordered mine.  Paid $235.49 out the door from Tower Hobbies.  Going to build mine box stock as it seems like it runs pretty well that way.  I plan a mild electronics setup with a Hobbywing 1060 ESC and a Tamiya Dirt Tuned motor.  My TRF201 runs nicely on the same setup with a lipo.  It will be run to see how they compare.  I also have a ton of Associated 12mm hex wheels and am hoping they'll fit okay.  I'm hoping these come in before summer hits!

Been a while since I last posted. What hop ups are going to be reccomended? The diff nut from the td4?

20 hours ago, Toad16v said:

Been a while since I last posted. What hop ups are going to be reccomended? The diff nut from the td4?

Rear aluminium suspension mount adds a lot of strength at the back. Diff nut or TA06 gear diff makes sense as well (gear diff for high grip). Slipper clutch if you want to run a hot motor.

Racing or bashing BTW?

• Like 1

Hey Astute Fans. This will be my first Astute. I pre ordered the painted and trimmed body version from Tower Hobbies. Have the electronics for it and the pre painted version of the Avante too. I think this 2wd buggy is gonna look sweet in person.

Cory

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 4:41 PM, BuggyGuy said:

Rear aluminium suspension mount adds a lot of strength at the back. Diff nut or TA06 gear diff makes sense as well (gear diff for high grip). Slipper clutch if you want to run a hot motor.

Racing or bashing BTW?

Bashing around the street. I've got a spare ta06 diff casing from my xv01. Might get the rest of the internals. 

1 hour ago, Toad16v said:

2022-03-07_03-24-39

Arrived at lunchtime.

I actually had my hands on one on Saturday originally with the intention of buying but because I've got the super avante and kyosho have now officially announced the optima mid I decided to pass on it😔 I don't know if anyone has mentioned (apologies for the repetition if they have) but buy the upgrade diff nut before you build it because sure as anything its going to strip if not straight away or when you put a bit of power through it! Both my diff nuts lasted about 2 minutes!

The box art is very nice. I prefer this box art over the TD4 box art. Talking about the diff nut: will TD4/TD2 diff nut fit the DF03 diff? The plastic diff nuts of the DF03 are pants.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toad16v said:

Bashing around the street. I've got a spare ta06 diff casing from my xv01. Might get the rest of the internals. 

In that case I would skip all hopups and just do the gear diff - they are very low maintenance so ideal for that kind of running.

The plastic internals and cross joints are super cheap - but the outdrives fluctuate wildly in price so it might be cheaper to grab the complete unit with the steel internals. I got the complete unit for £17 recently - the outdrives on their own were £11 so made  sense to get the entire unit with the stronger bevel gears and cross shaft, plus if you only have the case you will need to get the washers and seals as well

7 hours ago, DaveBuildsRC said:

@Toad16v, @mastino

Can you please check the manual does it use tamiya buggy big bores like the Td4?

I'll look at that in a bit. From the tamiya blog videos it looks like they used a mixed solution. DF03 opt shocks on the front and bigbore on the rear.

From the video on tamiyablog, the suggested solution F/R

IMG_20220312_091613.jpg

IMG_20220312_091549.jpg

• Like 3

The kit damper is moving from the Classic  o'ring to the new x-ring.

PSX_20220312_103458.jpg

• Like 1

Supplied with hard clear silicon oil (#900)

Differenti kind of materials as in the newest kits like M07/M08

My original 1984 Astute is crying in front of that beauty. :D

What an error???? :o:o 1989 Astute, 1984 Grasshopper. 

• Confused 1

Important note: avoid to over-tighten (7 turns Is the limit) MB14 to prevent damage on A5.

PSX_20220312_104613.jpg