Xeostar

TD-2 - New Astute

Just now, Richardrpm said:

What shocks are those? 

Look like DF03. 

There's a question over what will actually mount up front - only DF03 are recommended in the manual.

Quote. Mine are cheap copy made by 3racing. I just swap the oring ( using the clear silicon o'ring supplied with the m07 concept kit) and pistons ( using spare supplied with TRF short damper set). 

This Astute is slowly getting my attention as my next project kit. Seeing many fantastic builds already especially modified ones (I'm a sucker for hop-ups), it looks really great and unique. Plus the IFS is really cool.

I still have a fresh memory of my Astute which I bought in 1990. Coming from a Frog, (drooled over the Wild One, Ultima and RC10 but didn't have a chance to own them back then) the Astute was an evolution. I couldn't wait to get home and start building it. As soon as it was finished, I just stared at it for a long time and I loved it. I installed a Futaba MC210ESC and Dynatech 01R. As soon as I laid it down the ground, I pulled the trigger and it was marvelous. First time I raced it on the track (against RC10, Ultima, Schumacher, and others), I went home with a 3rd place trophy (my first ever trophy) and was so happy about it. Next races were better having some more trophies and medals mixed (total of 12 I think in a year) of mostly 2nd, 3rd places and with two first placers. I wish I didn't give my Astute away (in 2007).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

For the first time in weeks the local dirt track is dry enough for a run so I swapped out the astro tires for a set of dirt threads and went for my first test on a loamy off-road dirt track.

Test Comments

Acceleration: the installed Hobbywing 10.5t has lots of grunt and is too much for a low grip dirt track so it was a bit finicky putting down the power. While the car was a beast accelerating on astro, on dirt a steady throttle finger is really needed. I chalk this up also to the mid-motor configuration which favors smooth driving lines and gentle throttle/brake inputs. I intend to install the optional RR block to reduce anti-squat and add a on bit of toe-in which I think will calm that rear end down.

Cornering: Car cornered well, no lack of steering on the dirt. I found the stock front springs may be a tad soft so as the front end dived under braking there was a tendency for the rear to break loose if too much brake was applied. I lowered my brake epa which helped a lot. The car was surprisingly quick around some corners and would hold its line even with some of the 4wds I ran with.

Jumps/landing: this track doesn't really have jumps so there's not much to report on here. But my experience on astro is that the car is a capable balanced jumper. :)

Bump handling: car did well with the bumpy track. I think the stock springs and sick package are pretty good for dirt.

Durability: so far the car has been a warrior. Tumbles and crashes have not broken anything... The drive train has been reliable. No issues here.

Overall

I enjoyed my test run today. The car was certainly not as confident out of corners as a rear motor 2wd, but when driven smoothly it did reward with some speedy laps. I think some tuning can only make it even better but for a first time on a dirt track I think the car did well. Plus, I think that shell just looks awesome zipping around the track!

IMG_20220426_212747.jpg

• Like 10

47 minutes ago, BloodClod said:

For the first time in weeks the local dirt track is dry enough for a run so I swapped out the astro tires for a set of dirt threads and went for my first test on a loamy off-road dirt track.

Test Comments

Acceleration: the installed Hobbywing 10.5t has lots of grunt and is too much for a low grip dirt track so it was a bit finicky putting down the power. While the car was a beast accelerating on astro, on dirt a steady throttle finger is really needed. I chalk this up also to the mid-motor configuration which favors smooth driving lines and gentle throttle/brake inputs. I intend to install the optional RR block to reduce anti-squat and add a on bit of toe-in which I think will calm that rear end down.

Cornering: Car cornered well, no lack of steering on the dirt. I found the stock front springs may be a tad soft so as the front end dived under braking there was a tendency for the rear to break loose if too much brake was applied. I lowered my brake epa which helped a lot. The car was surprisingly quick around some corners and would hold its line even with some of the 4wds I ran with.

Jumps/landing: this track doesn't really have jumps so there's not much to report on here. But my experience on astro is that the car is a capable balanced jumper. :)

Bump handling: car did well with the bumpy track. I think the stock springs and sick package are pretty good for dirt.

Durability: so far the car has been a warrior. Tumbles and crashes have not broken anything... The drive train has been reliable. No issues here.

Overall

I enjoyed my test run today. The car was certainly not as confident out of corners as a rear motor 2wd, but when driven smoothly it did reward with some speedy laps. I think some tuning can only make it even better but for a first time on a dirt track I think the car did well. Plus, I think that shell just looks awesome zipping around the track!

IMG_20220426_212747.jpg

Great to hear your experience racing the TD2 on dirt. I'm really thinking about picking one up since my local track just started a 2wd buggy class and I refuse to be sensible and normal and get something like an AE B6.3 or an XRAY. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hi all!

A question for the slipper clutch owners: it's possible to adjust it with a hexagonal key without removing all the cover that closes it, but by removing only the side cap?

I ask this before fixing it with glue to the frame... 😊

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Kappe said:

Hi all!

A question for the slipper clutch owners: it's possible to adjust it with a hexagonal key without removing all the cover that closes it, but by removing only the side cap?

I ask this before fixing it with glue to the frame... 😊

Thanks!

Yes you can adjust it by removing the little cap at the side

52 minutes ago, BloodClod said:

Yes you can adjust it by removing the little cap at the side

Thanks!

Ya, I suppose.. (and I hoped 😊)

So what's a good way to fix and easily remove the little cap to adjust the slipper clutch?

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Kappe said:

So what's a good way to fix and easily remove the little cap to adjust the slipper clutch?

I'd like to know this too. I've bonded mine in with rubber adhesive for now. I can't believe Tamiya decided not to have it removable...

2 hours ago, Kappe said:

Thanks!

Thanks 

I think I'm going to try printing a flexible one that pops in and out without glue, I don't see how the stock one can be easily adjusted (maybe put a short M3 bolt though the top of the gearcase into a corresponding hole on the side of the cap?)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kappe said:

Did you some internal spacers for the rear?

Thanks

I built them exactly as the manual that came with them says. And the fronts I built as per the TD2 manual 👍

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Kappe said:

Thanks!

Thanks 

For both my TD cars I simply stuck a tiny thin piece of soft foam to one side of the little cap and this makes the fit snug enough so it doesn't fall out during running.
If you need a pic let me know and I'll take one later today. :)

• Like 1

Fitted the TD4 stabilisers/anti roll bars to mine, nice bit of kit. Not sure it is helping much, but it is shiny. Also fitted the gear diff to it after getting a tiny bit of slipping from the ball diff. Not tested it out yet.

On 4/29/2022 at 5:10 PM, Toad16v said:

Fitted the TD4 stabilisers/anti roll bars to mine, nice bit of kit. Not sure it is helping much, but it is shiny. Also fitted the gear diff to it after getting a tiny bit of slipping from the ball diff. Not tested it out yet.

I have been wondering about the stabilisers and also considering the gear diff. Interested to hear how it works out. 

21 minutes ago, Misterp180 said:

I have been wondering about the stabilisers and also considering the gear diff. Interested to hear how it works out. 

I think if your racing on astro or carpet the anti-roll bars are pretty essential for good corner speed

• Thanks 1

Anti-roll bars and gear diffs for astro, ball diffs for dirt. If you are having trouble with the diffs, throw some money at hardened balls and the stupid alloy nut hop up.

• Thanks 1

I finished mine last night! Loved the build (other than the ball diff!) and it has been my most successful body shell for both painting and decals.

0FDF009F-0A1C-4C5E-ACBC-163BD5D7DB01.thumb.jpeg.10e419f06f3c5e7040a49f8c8356f375.jpegC4CBDE6C-2030-4ABC-BB9A-4FC231E398FF.thumb.jpeg.71a8d28641102f032389db0b77e88d56.jpeg255FF9B2-3D0C-4FF5-8E2B-1E8507F46E8B.thumb.jpeg.6042548d4a31f51860f0857cfcd08bdc.jpeg

Not driven it yet other than to check the alignment in the front steering. Can’t wait to get this out on the track!

Thanks for all the inspiration in this tread 👍🏻

• Like 6

Hello.

I am discovered weak point on rear hubs. Broken after bad landing, but its very small jump on track, where i race maybe 15 years. Two pieces in a row.

Screenshot_2022-05-02-08-32-09-127_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Screenshot_2022-05-02-08-32-16-899_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

• Sad 1

@akimrc They look a little bit like the XV01 hubs. They did some aluminium versions of those for the TRF211 and TRF503. Maybe worth getting the plastic XV01 versions to see if they fit first? 

16 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@akimrc They look a little bit like the XV01 hubs. They did some aluminium versions of those for the TRF211 and TRF503. Maybe worth getting the plastic XV01 versions to see if they fit first? 

I have all these parts, but this is unique design. No one working. After work i can post pics with XV01 hubs, or old 201 hub.
I have ordered aluminium hubs for TT02B. From pics they can work, but will see...
Another problem with original hubs is width. Rules like EFRA (in my country) have 250mm max width. This is not possible with aftermarket easy to buy rims like Asso, Schumacher etc...

1 hour ago, akimrc said:

I have all these parts, but this is unique design. No one working. After work i can post pics with XV01 hubs, or old 201 hub.
I have ordered aluminium hubs for TT02B. From pics they can work, but will see...
Another problem with original hubs is width. Rules like EFRA (in my country) have 250mm max width. This is not possible with aftermarket easy to buy rims like Asso, Schumacher etc...

Regarding wheels - the DF03 wheels are the same offset as the kit rears and take a standard competition tyre. Would think it will be legal width with those