Xeostar

TD-2 - New Astute

They made a new front 2WD hex-mount wheel in the old design:blink:

• Like 1

The design looks good.    This time the steering linkage looks so much better than the TD-4.   It also solves the battery access problem.

IMO, TD-2 >> TD-4!

I'd be interested to know how good a mid-motor buggy is on a traditional dirt track.

1 hour ago, Sir Crashalot said:

You could always slice the inner bead off the wheel to create the narrow fronts.

That's what I would probably do.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kol__ said:

mwVwghL.jpeg

Besides the comparisons with their predecessors, I think that they look mighty fine together! 

Especially the Astute, I definitely like the F1esque body shell.

• Like 2

I think I might be the odd one out here in thinking that the whole thing make much more sense in the 4wd version. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, matisse said:

I think I might be the odd one out here in thinking that the whole thing make much more sense in the 4wd version. 

The TD2 layout looks a tad cramped due to the front damper arrangement, but the steering connection is straightforward at least. In the TD4, using a transverse LiPO will leave room for electronics under the damper, including a more sensibly mounted servo that could simplify the steering.

Am I right in assuming that the TD2 will be motorless like it’s 4wd brother?

2 hours ago, BelknapCrater said:

The TD2 layout looks a tad cramped due to the front damper arrangement, but the steering connection is straightforward at least. In the TD4, using a transverse LiPO will leave room for electronics under the damper, including a more sensibly mounted servo that could simplify the steering.

i did think of this and it will be something i look at for sure.

So the new TD2 seems  to have better battery placement in terms of ease than the TD4. Both chassis shares the same rear gearbox, rear shock tower, suspension arms, and a few more. I wonder if Tamiya will come up with a TRF version of these two. I would love to see the TD2 in blue aluminum and carbon fiber bits. :)

I think the TD2 might be one of Tamiya's nicest looking buggies. I really like the laid down shocks, racy appearance and side pods.

I wonder if the TD2 body could fit the TD4.

I'm not in the market for a 1/10 buggy, but if I was, this would be getting a good look at.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

Any idea on when this will be released ? 

The TD4 was teased in June, Expected arrival in the US *was* October, delayed to November at least (from the shipping issues I'm guessing).  So 5 months between release & sale.  Lets hope they squeeze that a fair bit, and account for the shipping problems to get that down to 2-3 months.

• Like 1

From Tamiya :

58697 1/10 R/C Astute 2022 (TD2)

Tamiya is proud to announce a new 1/10 R/C off-road buggy model based upon the brand new TD2 chassis. 
The newly designed stylish body is produced by Kota Nezu who penned that of the recently released Super Avante. 

About the model 

• This is a 1/10 R/C assembly kit. Length: 387mm, width: 246mm. Wheelbase: 283mm. 
• The distinctive polycarbonate body is designed by Japanese designer Kota Nezu of znug design. 
• The new TD2 chassis based around the TD4 chassis employs a front inboard suspension layout which 
offers exceptionally slim, low-profile form. Also, its front suspension arms have a skid angle of 25 degrees 
for superlative ground-hugging and stable performance off-road, plus angled CVA oil dampers to allow smooth 
suspension movement.
• The chassis based on the one-piece monocoque frame uses the same ball differentials as the ones of the TD4 
chassis, plus full ball bearings, and features a transverse battery pack positioned to the rear and a midship transverse 
motor with 3 gears connecting it to the drivetrain for optimum balance and improved performance. 
• Ribbed front and rear square spike tires facilitate stability and great grip. The newly designed star dish design front 
wheels are attached by hex hubs. 
• The 4-wheel double wishbone suspension system uses CVA oil dampers for superlative performance. 
• Choose between high and low type wing stays to adjust the downforce depending on the road surface. 
• Comes with a driver figure who gives your buggy a realistic look, and high-torque servo saver
• No Motor or ESC Included
• Due around 2/20/22

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rwordenjr said:

From Tamiya :

58697 1/10 R/C Astute 2022 (TD2)

Tamiya is proud to announce a new 1/10 R/C off-road buggy model based upon the brand new TD2 chassis. 
The newly designed stylish body is produced by Kota Nezu who penned that of the recently released Super Avante. 

About the model 

• This is a 1/10 R/C assembly kit. Length: 387mm, width: 246mm. Wheelbase: 283mm. 
• The distinctive polycarbonate body is designed by Japanese designer Kota Nezu of znug design. 
• The new TD2 chassis based around the TD4 chassis employs a front inboard suspension layout which 
offers exceptionally slim, low-profile form. Also, its front suspension arms have a skid angle of 25 degrees 
for superlative ground-hugging and stable performance off-road, plus angled CVA oil dampers to allow smooth 
suspension movement.
• The chassis based on the one-piece monocoque frame uses the same ball differentials as the ones of the TD4 
chassis, plus full ball bearings, and features a transverse battery pack positioned to the rear and a midship transverse 
motor with 3 gears connecting it to the drivetrain for optimum balance and improved performance. 
• Ribbed front and rear square spike tires facilitate stability and great grip. The newly designed star dish design front 
wheels are attached by hex hubs. 
• The 4-wheel double wishbone suspension system uses CVA oil dampers for superlative performance. 
• Choose between high and low type wing stays to adjust the downforce depending on the road surface. 
• Comes with a driver figure who gives your buggy a realistic look, and high-torque servo saver
• No Motor or ESC Included
• Due around 2/20/22

I'm tired of the trend of no ESC and no motor being included. Many people build shelf queens or add kits to their stable 8+ cars and don't race/run them a ton. Why not throw an ESC and 540 in so a majority of your customers can run it out of the box?   

1 minute ago, A-Baum said:

I'm tired of the trend of no ESC and no motor being included. Many people build shelf queens or add kits to their stable 8+ cars and don't race/run them a ton. Why not throw an ESC and 540 in so a majority of your customers can run it out of the box?   

I think esc and bearings instead of esc and motor would be better. Instead we get bearings and no esc or motor lol. 

6 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

I think esc and bearings instead of esc and motor would be better. Instead we get bearings and no esc or motor lol. 

I could go along with that.  I didn't notice it includes bearings, so that's cool and I guess Tamiya considers this a higher end kit based on that.  And being consistent with that, it doesn't include ESC and/or motor.  Still annoying.

1 hour ago, A-Baum said:

I definitely don't mind that on the medium/high range of kits... Some people would go for a cheap 540 and brushed esc while some other will run those with a higher end brushless combo. At the end it's matter of choice for the consumers, and they could propose a starter kit to go with it, at a cheap discounted price (which is what many rc shops do by the way, with multiple options for motor/esc)...

I'm not sure anyone who builds this to run would bother using a silver can motor. So I'm glad they haven't included a motor or esc. 

• Like 1

I would love the option to take some Parts out of the Box and get a dicount.

I change the Silvercan in 90% of my Kits imediatly. Others change the ESC, I would love to have the Chance to buy them for 10 - 15 Dollars. I like the ESCs and i use them in 2nd Hand Kits.

Also i don't need Pogosticks. I love CVAs, others don't like CVAs and change them to aluminum  Dampers. I would love to have the chance to buy cheap CVAs.

Better having full bearings than a 540 and esc.for me. When does it go on Preorder or have missed it ???

1 hour ago, Busdriver said:

Better having full bearings than a 540 and esc.for me. When does it go on Preorder or have missed it ???

Tony's tamiya are taking preorders now.

1 hour ago, Toad16v said:

Tony's tamiya are taking preorders now.

I’ll have to check Fusion!!

Including full bearings and no 540 and ESC seems like a step forward to me.  You're going to have to buy a servo separately at the least anyway.

I need to start looking at buying hex drivers before anything else.

2 hours ago, Blista said:

Including full bearings and no 540 and ESC seems like a step forward to me.  You're going to have to buy a servo separately at the least anyway.

I need to start looking at buying hex drivers before anything else.

I'd rather do my own choosing anyways, rather than have another Tamiya ESC laying around. It rains most of the year where I'm at, so waterproof everything is ideal. 

Most will vote to go straight for the MIP hex set. I did, and they're great. Not great if you prefer replaceable driver tips.