wtcc5

wtcc‘s TA-03 projects

19 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

Just tried to order a couple. The transaction crashed, I don't seem to have been charged, but I do seem to have a confirmation order. Doesn't help that I could only read about half the text. Will wait and see what transpires before trying to reorder etc.

Plan was to get 2, and sell one to cover part of the cost of ordering them. Fingers crossed I get it to work one way or another.

• Like 1

I really like these easy to add Hop-Up option parts ^_^

47db799f-9eeb-4219-auzjpn.jpeg

e1be02a7-8e70-4e8f-bptku4.jpeg

4f4286bd-721f-4ce3-9f9juf.jpeg

2e95e346-80e1-402d-9mljlg.jpeg

Carbon car B)

• Like 11

bff85e89-adc7-4ebf-anuju0.jpeg

I finally found time and motivation to make the body for the runner. And I love it! Such a nice shape and it is long and heavy because of the rear wing package…

40800dcf-34ec-4318-9usj76.jpeg

3fb24f89-71ca-4359-aq5jwm.jpeg

d17cbc39-cb3d-406b-bn1kod.jpeg

:wub:

7544b433-c471-4e63-8tlj41.jpeg

• Like 9

Just remembered the good old times when my father and I build Tamiya cars for their Expert build series (not sure what it was called in the 90s though). My dad had an order of CLK-GTRs once. Looking at the picture now, I am pretty sure these are not Tamiya bodies:

134904ee-02b3-44cc-axuk4k.jpeg

Does somebody know the manufacturer? Maybe a Carson thing?

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, wtcc5 said:

Just remembered the good old times when my father and I build Tamiya cars for their Expert build series (not sure what it was called in the 90s though). My dad had an order of CLK-GTRs once. Looking at the picture now, I am pretty sure these are not Tamiya bodies:

Yeah could be Carson. Carson also done the Sportswear version with the young woman on the sides etc. The body was a pretty much exact copy of Tamiya's though 👍

James.

• Like 1

Pretty looking chassis... 1mm - 1.5 mm spacers on the front axle would perfect the stance (if you don't mind the weight ;))... Hmm the bodies... Definetly not Tamiya... Proportions are off.. Carson would have been my first guess, I thought they didn't have the same shape as Tamiya, but not sure. I think there was also hpi, kyosho and even graupner which all were a bit off proportionwise, meaning too wide of a front and too squatted of a roof. Tamiya shape was spot on elegant... Interesting job :).... Hmm but in the end my bet is on Topaz. 

• Like 2

@GermanTA03Guy: You are fast! Never heard of this company before. They must have been quite popular for a period.

As I enjoy some days off, I decided to make the Nissan R390 body, too.

e473501e-39a7-4081-8qyj52.jpeg

Compared to the near perfect CLK-GTR, this body was quite a challenge. Mostly the stickers made trouble with being partly a tad to small or the geometry was a little off. I tried to compensate that as good as possible. What was much worse, was the brittleness of the sticker. It was never a problem to pull a sticker off  again, after it got pulled on the body by accident by electrostatic forces, but this time I had three of them rip. The bodyset is old, still I never experienced that…

9bde53fe-e02f-41f2-b9ejxy.jpeg

5791156d-80ba-43c0-au3kie.jpeg

f3204416-ee33-4645-avsjlv.jpeg

99916e78-8c77-4d53-b18jq9.jpeg

My two TA-03R:

b11059eb-10aa-4871-9xykgp.jpeg

• Like 13

So nice! You make me spend more and more. Now I have to have an r390. By the way, did you smoke the windows with ps31? Looks nice, very dark, isn't it? 

• Like 1

@GermanTA03Guy: Yes, all PS-31 on the windows. The Merc and the Nissan both have two layers of paint on the windows. That is fairly light. Just looks dark with artificial light. In general I use four layers. You can easily control the darkness with layers.

On the last picture you can look through the passenger window of the Merc and see the rear tire well shining through. That shows that it is not as dark as it seems.

• Like 1

After going through my stuff (mostly to assign the parts to the right boxes), I checked my TT-01e box and was remembered, that I still have an Audi A4 BTCC body set left from a discount buy (of two kits).

This body premiered on the TA-03f chassis. I also just recently got my hands on old magazines and catalogues, which just make more appetite:

4f1da543-8179-4939-banfox.jpeg

9faf6e09-afa3-45be-8aair8.jpeg

326a18d5-4dda-48b0-8jmcny.jpeg

And of course... now I got one:

e3aba7d2-27c8-4bb3-9m6c1y.jpeg

It will get some Hop-Ups, but not too much.

Most Hop-Ups are reserved for the R. Like these, which I got from the same seller:

2db019f9-0be1-46ee-av6fmh.jpeg

Real nice, that I got them.

177bc089-b379-4578-86gdzk.jpeg

12775425-3b4b-4ff9-b8wiek.jpeg

3e810c5d-43c7-41ef-at4ej8.jpeg

959e01d9-fee4-466b-a3qihs.jpeg

01ad7b6c-12ed-4e22-bwsfx8.jpeg

• Like 11

Nice build thread. I've just got a TA-03 rs with the Porsche body and a few upgrades for a decent price off a mate. Need to strip and rebuild it. Those rear hubs are lush.

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2021 at 1:26 PM, wtcc5 said:

So... You kind of built a few bodies before 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@Pylon80: That is my dad though :P We had a friend who won some high ranked airbrush competitions in the 90s. He brought us jobs of building (mostly) Tamiya cars. I remember one order where we build around 100 Mad Fighter... I probably still can build one in my sleep :rolleyes:

I had to change the name of this thread to be compatible with the now finally started TA-03F build...

I said in September, this car will not get many upgrades, I lied again. See the box of happiness:

img_5829w4f3c.jpg

But it all starts with cleaning:

img_5830e5de7.jpg

Then it was gearbox time:

img_5832vaiep.jpg

img_5833ppe1l.jpg

img_5834zqe96.jpg

Tuning parts incoming:

img_5835d3cg3.jpg

img_5836sci76.jpg

img_5838kmcjq.jpg

img_5839jef6j.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

"See the box of happiness"

I feel like this is the one sentiment Tamiya preys on with collectors like you, and dare I say it, I...

Luke

• Haha 1

Thanks for the read popcorn02L.gif_c200.gif.ae2f6a513093ffaf3b445eb7e6e07010.gif

Love what you did with the stabiliser bars. I bet you could sell them quite easily - originals go for far too much money and the paint easily chips off!

• Thanks 1

How would the torque control unit compare to a front one-way unit (the ones with 2 one way bearings, one for each front wheel)? I have played with a front one way last year, the older TT-01 part on my TT-02 rally. The way I understand it is that it prevents the front wheels from ever having any brake torque applied. The car steers better but attempting to brake or even letting off too abruptly causes the car to swap ends. Fun driving off road but can be a bit of a handful on tarmac.

8 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

How would the torque control unit compare to a front one-way unit (the ones with 2 one way bearings, one for each front wheel)? I have played with a front one way last year, the older TT-01 part on my TT-02 rally. The way I understand it is that it prevents the front wheels from ever having any brake torque applied. The car steers better but attempting to brake or even letting off too abruptly causes the car to swap ends. Fun driving off road but can be a bit of a handful on tarmac.

The braking effect is the same unfortunately. The big difference between the center oneway and oneway diff is that the oneway diff acts as a spool on acceleration. With the center oneway you keep the 'open' diff and it's effects on turning under acceleration.

• Thanks 1

Next on this build are the shocks. I am not a fan of the pale pink shock bodies. Silver is the way:

img_584329fr7.jpg

img_58456beyl.jpg

I continue with the front gear box and the suspension:

img_5846lhf3e.jpg

img_5847kuc9i.jpg

img_5848e7is4.jpg

img_5849bfevr.jpg

img_5850dmd8n.jpg

img_58514vfmg.jpg

Tuning motor:

img_5852ckimm.jpg

The pinions didn't fit :lol: as I don't have the pro gears installed... will need to hop-up these later -_-

img_58537if4m.jpg

I also painted the pinion cover silver ... never got my hands on the real aluminum heat sink part :unsure:

With shocks:

img_5854qief1.jpg

• Like 5

If I was you I'd continue the silver theme with aluminium ball connectors instead of the brass.

First time I've seen the TB Evo dampers used on a TA03👍🏻

• Like 1

@svenb: Good idea! Haven't thought about it at all. Will need to check the financial side in the coming days.

With both ends completed, the next step is very tasty:

img_585582eb2.jpg

Carbon chassis :wub:

img_58575ocul.jpg

Added the battery mount and front mount.

Marriage, with steering assembly:

img_58581kd2n.jpg

img_5859sudhp.jpg

img_5860x6dv5.jpg

Servo mounts:

img_58618hda7.jpg

img_5862fiiok.jpg

Front bumper:

img_5863cti3d.jpg

img_5864u4fwx.jpg

• Like 6