Kol__

Your RC build space

Hi guys,

As some of you may know, although like many of us I was a Tamiya fan back in the 90's, I'm new to the hobby after decades away from it and it's taken me, my wife and my finances by surprise since it cropped up out of the blue about 4 weeks ago.

I've amassed quite a few cars already, only one new and the rest for restoration. Boxes were piling up around the house and little build stations on kitchen trays and chopping boards were dotted about as well.

I decided that I needed to set up some sort of temp build station, and my wife is not best pleased that this is now in our master bedroom (not least because it covers up the Victorian fireplace I installed a couple of years ago when restoring the house)...

JAEXL5q.jpeg

Just a basic wallpaper pasting table I had out in the shed and pulled my desk chair over from the bay window where I have my work from home station. Far from ideal, but it'll do for now to try to contain the spread!:wacko:

I've seen some pretty awesome shots of RC build spaces and workshops so far, post yours on here? Perhaps there is already a thread on this, but I'd really appreciate the inspiration for solutioning against this seemly ever encroaching hobby/obsession!:lol:

• Like 7

Here is mine :

spacer.png

It a bit messy and full of stuff every where, but everything I need are near by. In the black and white desk this is the paint chest.

Gaming room and rc's/models work bench.

• Like 4

That looks great @Goudar, a nice big desk space and areas for storage, plus all the forum, research and YouTube you could ever need at your finger tips!B)

I see you, like everyone else it's seems, has that little Tamiya tool kit, how good is it?

Also, love the fact that you can see my makeshift build space on your screen there!:lol:

• Thanks 1

@Kol__Hahah your workspace in my workspace :D Nice Mad Cap you got there, I felt in love with this nice lady, I need to find one.

This is the best tool set I bought since I came back in the hobby. If you can find one of thos, definilty grab it.

Yup it's pretty conveniente to get all research/youtube next to me, I need to redo my main screen support, to slide my keyboard under it and add a little bit more space.

• Thanks 1

Similar set up here, small but everything to hand! This is primarily my home office, so desk contents and layout change depending on how busy I am and what day of the week it is. But today is Saturday, the wife is away at a craft workshop, all the jobs were done early so I'm having some Tamitime B)

spacer.png

• Like 8

@Goudar..my workspace, within your workspace, within my workspace:lol:...

AjbjVUy.jpeg

Yeah the Madcap is my favourite model Tamiya from my childhood, in the past 4wks Ive gathered the modified one pictured above, two stock ones, one chassis with arms and two bare chassis, plus a load of spares. Once I've built a shelf queen I'll be selling off the others.

• Haha 3

Here's mine, taken at this very moment. Not a great picture but you get the idea. On the far left is the PC, and on the far right is the 'builder's desk'. In between inside the six drawers are literally 100s of hop-ups.

2021-10-16-15-56-20.jpg

If you look really closely @Juhunio's station is featured on my screen lol.

• Like 3

@Juhunio wow what a lovely place you got there, really like it.

@Kol__ haha nice trick ?! Great can't wait to see final result on your Madcap, let me know when you're done. I may be up for your left parts.

@DeadMeat666 that a huge treasure chest ?! You got plenty of room.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Juhunio said:

I'm having some Tamitime B)

spacer.png

Awesome @Juhunio, loving the order and neatness, fits in nicely with my perfectionism thread the other day!;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2021 at 2:00 PM, DeadMeat666 said:

Here's mine, taken at this very moment. Not a great picture but you get the idea. On the far left is the PC, and on the far right is the 'builder's desk'. In between inside the six drawers are literally 100s of hop-ups.

2021-10-16-15-56-20.jpg

If you look really closely @Juhunio's station is featured on my screen lol.

Brilliant space, so much room there!

• Like 1

I am relegated to the basement. And not a nice finished basement, but one that gets quite damp at times. Here are my 3 main workspaces, unusually clean when I took the pics about a year ago. Normally they are covered with stuff. :) Main bench has the TV and radio. 

20200907-171621sm.jpg

20200907-171631sm.jpg

20200907-171641sm.jpg

The SMT is still sadly waiting for paint, along with a TA03, CC01, 2 MF01's, and a DF03RA. 

• Like 6

My build space is the living room table... Mainly because my dedicated space is getting overused with additional work notes all other the place as since the Covid lockdowns it became my work place as well...

I arranged my space with a box, the top of the box serves as building plate, and it is enough big to have the kit box placed on top. Inside the box, there is smaller boxes, with cluster parts, opened bags, tools and anything I would need during the build. Once the chassis is over, I have another work organisation for the paint job (which is again consisting in one movable box with all the required tools and elements I would need during the paintjob.

Cs1xN4S.jpg

Another comment: this organisation doesn't allow me to do parallel builds. As I only have one dedicated box for this (the one you see under the kit box on the picture). I have one box with a similar footprint and one metal plate as well dedicated to dirty jobs (unbuilding and cleaning) 

Other unfinished/in progress stuff (restoration awaiting for parts, for example) are awaiting in storage boxes (which they get stored in after the unbuilding...

And basically, when I'm not working on building, all the boxes are stored in my space : the working box is on top, while the unbuilding box is somewhere on the side of my big desk. I just evacuated some empty kit boxes to storage to allow entry of new kits within the next months (yes, because there will be more kits incoming  :-D)

Edit : when building, there is often my son or my daughter around doing something else (sometimes my son is building as well a kit). And for the plate, that is the way my wife and me used to get our kids organized with legos so the do not loose parts...

• Like 3

Mine is the floor after the kids had gone to sleep. Being the floor, things cannot fall any further although the carpet monster (static modellers will know it quite well) sometimes eat up parts. My spray paint area is the shed, spraying straight out the door. 

1 hour ago, Zealot said:

It need some reorganising and what not but it works well for me.

IMG-20211017-002613.jpg

That is very nice.  I like the Beta tools vibe with the orange drawers!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Terrible photo of a very messy workshop, but I like it messy.

IMG_20211016_091728116.jpg

Only 144 square feet of floor space, so I have to expand upwards. The shelves up high now go nearly all the way around the room, and are stuffed full of RC models, static model kits in boxes, half-finished projects, etc. The shelves on the left were meant to be for display, but they're a mess now too. Next to them, behind the door, is a bookcase full of '70s-80s vintage NIB model car kits. Computer is on the opposite side of the room from the workbench, so I couldn't get it in the shot. Oh, and there's a bookcase that's actualy full of books in here, too, as well as an antique family heirloom rocking chair, two computers, a turntable, a bunch of vinyl records, two guitars and an amp, and (currently) our rescue pug Ripley, snoring under my desk...

I asked for a 3D printer for Christmas, but I'm still figuring out where I'm going to put it.

• Like 3

my build spaces are the computer desk but thats the gunpla work station.  got the pc there, some cardboard to place painted pieces and related paints the rc station seems to be the dining table lately.

Just a small corner in the basement with a table and shelves built from leftovers and scrap, little bit of a mess, it gets the job done though.

1DEB14B2-0A3A-4500-BB61-0A8C41996DB8.thumb.jpeg.5c24aaeb0e583c39b80a281b10a71fd5.jpeg

• Like 6

Just the kitchen table for me, everything away by dinner time

• Like 3

My RC build space........is an absolute disaster.

20211016_134110 (2)

The photo only covers about a third of the room. I have a one lane path to that workbench (its under all that stuff somewhere) and I'm not too proud of that. I figure my disheveled mess will at least make others feel better and be a warning to those expanding their collections. Just standing in the room makes my wife anxious. Oddly none of the rest of my house looks like this, so its all contained here. Shut the door and its out of sight (my runners reside in the back of my basement). Someday, when I have most of my restorations done, I will work on room ascetics, which basically means never. I'll probably will move to the beach and semi-retire before this room gets straightened up, so honestly, this is lost cause. I can say however, that amoungst all this RC stuff with RC Car Action magazines, some manga/comic books and some legos sprinkled in, I know where everything is located.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, OldSchoolRC1 said:

20200907-171641sm.jpg

Looks great mate, how awesome it would be to have a whole basement. Liking the Decepticons badge on the bench.

Question: when the the truck is cleared off, is the above where you dismember your victims?;):lol: (sorry I think it's just the moody lighting!)

Great to see so many have these dedicated areas, some tidier than others, but all your own and all tell a story. I bet everyone has good memories of tinkering away in these spaces. I think I'd be on the dining room table tbh, but young kids would make short work of destroying any and all progress on builds!

badword @Willy iine and @Xeostar, those are some pretty impeccable workshop/showroom spaces, do I need to plan to either a) put in planning permission for an extension, or b ) just buy a new (bigger) house!:lol:

Some well planned shelf space looks to be the way to go as well, so many of you look to have put a lot of thought into how the space can be best utilised, something I am always keen on. @Zealot where did you get that orange parts organiser storage unit on your desk? Looks very handy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1